The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

That sounds like a good plan and glad it has worked. Do you feel like smoking any more since not taking the tablets, that's my fear, that once I stop taking them I will want to smoke again! Well hope you stick around for a while, as I will miss your posts.

Hey Gemini

...I don't feel like smoking anymore then usual. Its about the same as when I was taking the tablets...just little urges here and there. But don't worry I'll keep postin and let ya know how its going...

Talk soon..........

Whooppp ... Nealy 9 months ..... smoke free... thats the good news...

Bad news Sheffield Half Marathon in 41 days time. :hihi::help:

I expect the Sheffield members to line the route and cheer me on with gusto.. :thumbsup:

:suspect:

keep up the good work people :)

SaveUK - Loads of best wishes for the half marathon, I'm very impressed.

Hi everyone - I have a confession :suspect: I was totally gasping for a fag yesterday so I gave in and had one little puff, it was lovely :hihi: and I was so disgusted with myself I threw it away :thumbsup:

I cut my evening pill down to three quarters a week ago and thought the cravings increased for a couple of days and then were ok, so tomorrow I'm going to cut my morning pill down to three quarters and see how it goes.

I'm still needing summat stuck in me gob so as well as the gum I'm eating loads of fruit now. My reputation as a woman who lives life in the fast lane is ruined !

Hi SaveUK, I read your earlier posts on when you were quitting, well done and good luck in the marathon, you are obviously feeling fitter being a non smoker to even give it a go!!

Rustee, I know how you feel the only thing that stopped me at the weekend was having to go to the shop and buy a pack. I intended to stop eating so much from today but that also went out the window. Oh well, at least I still have not smoked.

SaveUK give us hope, how will we be feeling if we make it as far as you? The only thing keeping me going is the thought that one day in the not too distant future I might feel again like I did before I smoked and like all other non smokers I won't want or need a cigarette.

Hey all...I have been on Champix for 15 days. I haven't had a puff for 8 days. I can't believe how easy this was. I haven't been jonesing for a cigarette at all. There are times during the day that I would regularly smoke and sometimes at those times I think about the fact that I would normally be smoking but I am not playing mind games with myself. I am not talking myself out of smoking, I am just not interested in picking up a smoke. My hubby is still smoking so there are cigarettes around but they aren't tempting me. I guess what I am saying is that Champix really works for me. The ONLY side effect for me is the bizarro dreams. They are not bad dreams just extremely vivid. Like an hallucination! Therefore, sleep is disturbed but I can live with that. I am determined to NEVER smoke again! I am so stoked for this! Wish me luck!

SaveUK give us hope, how will we be feeling if we make it as far as you? The only thing keeping me going is the thought that one day in the not too distant future I might feel again like I did before I smoked and like all other non smokers I won't want or need a cigarette.

:thumbsup: Hmmm I would not say its a case of feeling like you did before you smoked..

( mainly becasuse most of us have smoked for to long, would be strange going back to beeing 17 when you are 29 or whatever you are).

Its more of the case you just end up feeling like you used to feel when you smoked but without the need to smoke :). After all you are what you are if you smoke or not. Im fairly laid back kind of guy and when I quit I wasent sure if the laid back atitude would linger... but sure enough im still the same with with smokes or not.

After a few weeks or ARRRHHHHHHH!!!! the world calms down and you just go back to being your old self.

Infact im allmost sure that smokeing is a big con and you just end up hooked because you think you should.

Easy for me to say now im sure.... but i still wish you all the very best of luck..

OK, here goes.......I am 34 and have smoked since I was 12. I have tried to stop using patches, gumm the inhalator, will power, the Allen Carr method, Zyban and hypnotherapy. I still smoke.

The hypnotherapy stopped me for 3 months about 4 years ago but then my grandma died and I started again. I have tried hypnotherapy twice since and it didn't work.

I am thinking of Champix but am nervous as I've heard it can cause anxiety and I have struggled with panic attacks several times in my life and had to have medication to control it.

I also feel like having tried just about everything, that if Champix doesn't suit me or doesn't work, I am destined to smoke forever.

I have to stop. Not only does it cost me a fortune but I am coughing like crazy in a morning and at night, tight chest etc. It scares me to be honest but then as soon as the coughing stops I have a cigarette.

Any advice?

Thanks

S

OK, here goes.......I am 34 and have smoked since I was 12. I have tried to stop using patches, gumm the inhalator, will power, the Allen Carr method, Zyban and hypnotherapy. I still smoke.

The hypnotherapy stopped me for 3 months about 4 years ago but then my grandma died and I started again. I have tried hypnotherapy twice since and it didn't work.

S

Hello Sarahjane

I have been smoking all by life, I am now 60. Like you I have tried everything there is, without any success. I think the lack of success was due to lack of motivation in a way. But this pill was the salvation for me. The side effects I have had or have is a little nausea after taking the pill, had slight headache the first week, is more thirsty than before, more tired and I am having this great dreams every night :-)

If I were you I would try Champix and try not to think of sideefffects. It is more dangerous to smoke after all. Talk to the doctor first and good luck to you.

This forum is a great place to be. It is nice to be part of a group strugling with the same and a group that shares experiences and gives to good advises.

Have a great day

Inger

Hi Inger

Thanks for getting back to me.

This thread on the forum certainly seems pretty good.

I think it just helps to know that there are other people in the same situation and who are going through the same things.

My problem is that I want to stop but I don't if you know what I mean. The fear of what it will be like when I stop and whether I will enjoy things the same without the trusty cigarette in my hand. The fear of the unknown always seems to take the edge off of the desire, and need, to stop.

I have a doctors appointment at 11.30 today so I'll see what they say.

S

Hi Sarah, I felt exactly the same as you, wanted to stop but didn't and was also really scared of stopping and what it would be like etc. I have been taking champix for 6 weeks and this is the fourth week I haven't smoked and I would say that it has been easy, far easier than I could ever have imagined. I felt a little sick and had light headaches for the first few days but have had no other side effects at all. Some of the side effects that some people get like the anxiety and the dreams you would get whichever way you stopped smoking they are just withdrawal symptoms from nicotine and pass. You will still get some urges to smoke but you won't be climbing the walls and it does get easier. Good luck and come back to let us know how you get on. If you read through some older posts I remember there are a couple of people on here who had panic attacks in the past, at the worst you can just stop taking the Champix if it doesn't agree with you.

Hi Sarahjane

Try to think of it as an adventure. Every day brings something new. And Champix takes away the craving. You forget to smoke. I have been to a huge celebration, to concerts (That is my job) I have done everything that I though would be diffucult, but it was not. Not walking outside in a middle of something to smoke - felt great. You smell differently, and you can tast and smell things you haven´t in years, Not bad either. And most important you get improved breathing very quick and the coughing disappears as well. You need to download a quitometer :-) Nice to see what you save of money every day:-)

You can do it, we have had the same thoughts as you, like loosing a friend and what do I do instead. I walk a lot more an do some exercise and basically enjoy my smokefree life.

Good luck at the doctors

Inger