The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Hi everyone, just checking in.

Thanks to everyone who has posted, its so helpful to know that you are not alone.

Update from me. Started Champix on 19th March. Had last ciggie on 28th March. I honestly thought Champix was not working so thanks to those who posted to say give it time - you all were right. Went to quit clinic tonight and blew into that tube and it was a 2 - I think I was more chuffed about that than anything else (how sad!).

I think Champix is wonderful - I have however got a question. Is there anyone here can tell me what its like when you come off the Champix? I know they wean you off it gradually, but I am worried that Im gonna feel like I did when quitting 'cold turkey'. Can anyone reassure me?

To anyone starting Champix - stick with it - it really works. I found it helpful aswell to read Allan Carr's book at the same time. To all those who faltered and bought a pack of 10 - smoked 1 and ditched the rest, I think the book may be helpful.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference

Heelo friends,

Can you tell me what "Celery" is?

And I am also wondering how hoest it feel when not taking Champix anymore? I still take 1/day but soon I will finish the pils and I am a little scared regarding the effects of not taking Champix ( after taking them for soo long)

Heelo friends,

Can you tell me what "Celery" is?

And I am also wondering how hoest it feel when not taking Champix anymore? I still take 1/day but soon I will finish the pils and I am a little scared regarding the effects of not taking Champix ( after taking them for soo long)

This is celery:

http://z.about.com/d/greekfood/1/0/5/7/veggies_celery_406.jpg

hi everyone, well there has been a change in my body, 11 weeks smoke free, stopped the pills on monday, this is now friday, 5 days of torture, just goes to show what a strong addiction smoking is, it really is like going cold turkey, but the good thing is nearly at the 3 month stage, one smoke would ruin all the good work, sorry this post is sort of negative, but i am just being honest.

Hi everyone...1st post...New to the form

Started Champix 12 days prior to my son's 4th birthday and chose his birthday as my quit date. I'm in my 3rd week now without smoking. I must say, the posts on here have been interesting to say the least. I found this forum through Googling "coming off Champix" which incidentally I have done despite only being on it 3 weeks. Titanium's post above gives exactly my reason. And I reckon now is the time to get on with it and get my life back. Here are my thoughts on the matter...

Champix may or may not have worked for me. I haven't smoked but I have thought about having a cigarette constantly since quitting. I'm tired of thinking about them. As soon as I wake up I think of what day it is...I don't mean Tuesday, Wednesday etc., I mean Day 10, 15, 20 whatever it is, in the vague hope that the number will somehow encourage me or give me motivation. I'm not surprised when it does neither.

It has dawned on me that I only want a cigarette when I think about smoking. Champix or no Champix. As soon as I stop thinking about them...I don't want one. That means that the craving must be almost imperceptable. The cravings are not this disabling gut wrenching piercing pain after all...the thing I've lived in fear of. It's just annoying...nothing more. How can it be if I can forget about it in a second?? I won't have my life dictated to by cigs anymore nor am I about to replace that with Champix (can't be doing with the vivid dreams and lack of sleep anymore either!!) Champix has given me a good head start (maybe) and so it's time to get on with the rest of my life.

All's I know is, if I was to be lay on my deathbed riddled with lung cancer, hardly able to breathe, with my family round me, wishing I could spend one more day with my darling son...I'd be wishing I'd have quit smoking. So do it now and please don't waste another second.

hi everyone, well there has been a change in my body, 11 weeks smoke free, stopped the pills on monday, this is now friday, 5 days of torture, just goes to show what a strong addiction smoking is, it really is like going cold turkey, but the good thing is nearly at the 3 month stage, one smoke would ruin all the good work, sorry this post is sort of negative, but i am just being honest.

I stopped the pills early..couldn't get on with them anymore, and i was only on half dose. I had the same problems it was tough coming off them, but stuck with it and still haven't smoked and have no intention to. TBH i don't even think about it now.

My energy now is just starting to return from the pills, my god they are potent:hihi:

Good luck if i can do it then anyone can!

5pm Aussie time. Broke up with my partner last night, have not had a ciggie but have veryteary hard day, and would love my old comforter and friend with me. I "Have" to go out to a birthday party tonight. Meeting at a bar and then out for dinner. This is my first time out as a Non Smoker and there will be many of them around. Hope I can cope .. wish me Luck. And keep up the hard work everyone. Proud of you all. x

Would prefer 3 bottles of chardy at home in my jammies watching chick flicks... maybe thats tomorrow night (heavy sigh)

Hi everyone came across the room in a general search for champix. I have COPD and have got to stop! I am on day 9 and cant believe I've gone from over 40 a day to 6 in the last few days. I also genuinely feel my breathing is immediately better!! Is it my imagination? maybe its one of the hallucinations lol but seriously I feel differant. What I find hardest is after a meal and think its down to habit. I am obsessed with this site every time I feel weak I log on even thats strange cos I always had to have a fag in my hand. Loads of questions to ask is there a big come down after stopping the pills and oes the craving automatically come flooding back and is the first day without any cigs hell? Keep your chin up Cammyanne!

Hi Judy.

I didn't find the first day without fags to be hell at all. Like Nev said, the urge to smoke only lasts a second, and if I refuse to think about it, that's it, it's gone. I'm off them 8 days now, and while I haven't been in any high temptation situations, I'm finding it OK. Today is my birthday though, so there will be drink taken tonight. Here's hoping I can manage the first non-smoking birthday in 30 years. If I can do that, I'll never go back!

Good Luck to all of you.

Happy Birthday Berlin, And Hi Judy2shoes... Well its now 1.41am Aussie time and just back from my night out. Have been reassured by my girlfriends that he was never the right guy for me anyway (wish theyd told me that 3 years ago) and I can do better.

So its a bottle (ok 2) of a very nice New Zealand Sav Blanc that I have consumed.. and sorry to say also "2" ciggies , which were given to me whilst in the middle of a very convincing girlie whinge session outside of the restaurant. But.... Didnt taste them, didnt get that usual rush, didnt get no satisfation, didnt get no pleasure, there was no comfort, and absolutely no emotional connection ..... and thats the ciggies and the ex!!!

Glad I smoked them because if I hadnt I wouldnt have realised that I actually didnt need them. Would be hanging out so bad for one and now I realise (because I had a couple) that I dont need them.. or him..... Or maybe I do or maybe I dont..

All I know is that as a mature intelligent women I have the same feelings now as I did back at high school when I broke up with my first boyfriend.... the pain is still the same yet so much more intense. I am older but apparently no wiser..

So will pour myself another vino put Gloria Gaynors "I Will Survive" Cd on, sing along and have a dance by myself, go to bed, cry myself to sleep and look forward to a new day...... Hopefully xo

Day 3 after the Champix guys...still not smoked and to be honest, I'm struggling to tell the difference between Champix and non-Champix quitting. Maybe it's just me. I don't want another cig for one reason. I know that 10 minutes after having one, I'll be ready for another...then another...and it'll never stop. Back on 30 a day. 29 of which I didn't really want and the one that I did want on awkening at 6am making my entire head feel like an ashtray. AT least this way I'm in control. By the way has anyone else found that they get a chmically smell in the back of their nose every now and again? I don't know if it was the Champix or toxins leaving me via my skin???!! Blurgh!! I asked round, probably the Champix!