Could this be something serious?

This may sound silly, but i personally know someone who had this problem. You must first visit your GP, but this turned out to be a hiatus hernia,acid was rising up into the throat, and the person felt as though he had something permantally stuck there. This is just one of the MANY things it could be, so have it investigated. First stop GP.

It could be very swollen glands.

I can remember having something similar when I was a child and it was simply a throat infection.

As my Dad says though "You can't worry your problems away, you can only do something about them".

Aka, head over to the doc and get it sorted :)

This may sound silly, but i personally know someone who had this problem. You must first visit your GP, but this turned out to be a hiatus hernia,acid was rising up into the throat, and the person felt as though he had something permantally stuck there. This is just one of the MANY things it could be, so have it investigated. First stop GP.

I'm with Pattricia on this, my Dad had the same problems and sometimes did actuall choke, and he had a Hiatus Hernia. Now I know how it feels, because I also have this feeling, and have also got a Hiatus Hernia. So go and get it checked out. The reason mine was found, was I had a constant cough, which was caused by reflux.

Tonsillitis feels like there is a physical lump stopping you from swallowing and sometimes does this without having the classical symptom of a 'sore throat', as I'm sure other conditions can.

The only answer is to get down to your GP and ask them the question. What you're describing doesn't sound like anything you should be losing sleep over to me though.

I'm with Pattricia on this, my Dad had the same problems and sometimes did actuall choke, and he had a Hiatus Hernia. Now I know how it feels, because I also have this feeling, and have also got a Hiatus Hernia. So go and get it checked out. The reason mine was found, was I had a constant cough, which was caused by reflux.

Yes,a constant cough is one of the signs of this as acid burns the throat. You can also have a constant cough, and not have hiatus hernia. So get it checked out.

You don't say how old you are, which may be relevant.

But get off the keyboard and get to the doc's, PLEASE.

I've been to the walk in centre at the hospital, doctor didn't do much, but did look at the back of my mouth and said straight away that i have tonsillitis, i never thought tonsillitis could make you feel like something is permanently stuck in your throat just under where the adam's apple is, a few days ago i had a bad sore throat and also i was coughing up a little bit of phlegm and generally felt weak and unwell.

It really does feel like loads of phlegm is stuck in my throat and just will not move no matter what, it does make me feel a little bit breathless and like i cannot talk as well.

I didn't realise that tonsillitis could make you feel this bad, i know doctors arn't always right but i hope he is, i was expecting them to look down my throat but they never did that.

So hopefully i'm not going to choke to death, i'm sure they would have done other things if they thought i had a more serious problem, i've just never felt so uncomfortable before, it makes me restless and makes me worry because it feels like someone is strangling me sometimes.

Tonsillitis can make you feel appallingly bad. I had my tonsils out as a teenager, which is very late for them to be done. I just got to the point where I had tonsillitis the vast majority of the time and couldn't eat properly or get rid of the sinus problems that I was having constantly. I felt like I had a set of golf balls jammed somewhere down the back of my throat although it wasn't actually that painful (although the sinuses were).

There's no need to look down your throat if the tonsils are sitting there as clear as day as an issue- and they'd probably not be able to see much round your tonsils anyway.

Tonsillitis can make you feel appallingly bad. I had my tonsils out as a teenager, which is very late for them to be done. I just got to the point where I had tonsillitis the vast majority of the time and couldn't eat properly or get rid of the sinus problems that I was having constantly. I felt like I had a set of golf balls jammed somewhere down the back of my throat although it wasn't actually that painful (although the sinuses were).

There's no need to look down your throat if the tonsils are sitting there as clear as day as an issue- and they'd probably not be able to see much round your tonsils anyway.

Thanks for the message, i've just had a look at my tonsils and they do seem quite red and they look swollen, also the tonsil in the middle that hangs from the top keeps sticking to one of the other tonsils.

That's not a tonsil- that's your uvula, which may or may not also become inflamed when you have tonsillitis.