Are sleeping tablets the answer to insomnia?

On the subject of wine, a French friend tells me that yes red wine relaxes you, but that white wine will have the opposite effect.

Unisol - as a lifelong insomniac I really do sympathise. I often get 'Sunday Night Syndrome'. I think it's a combination of a bit of a disrupted system after a weekend of late nights, and worrying about having to be 'on the ball' for work the next day. I don't think you need to do anything extreme like change your job, as others have suggested. I think it's pretty normal and happens to a lot of people.

I would stear clear of sleeping tablets though. I have never tried the hardcore ones myself, but I know someone who does use them and they are quite adictive, as well as making you feel groggy the next day. Herbal sleeping tablets might be worth a try. They work for me more often than not (although they don't work every time and I don't use them often) but I think it's more to do with the placebo effect than anything else. But they won't leave you groggy the next day.

I find I sleep much better when I've got a good book on the go. Believe me, I've tried pretty much everything that has been suggested on this thread, from hot baths and horlics to essential oils and relaxation techniques, and I've found that reading for 20 minutes in bed before turning out the light is definitely the best way to manage my insomnia. Not only does it make you feel tierd, but it also occupies your mind which helps you to relax and breaks that thought cycle of 'I can't sleep, I can't sleep, I can't sleep.' I also find that if I don't drop off within about 30 minutes, I'm better turning the light on and reading for a bit, then trying again, rather than tossing and turning and making myself anxious.

What works for one person won't necessarily work for another though, so do try all the ideas on this thread.

But my personal recommendation is to get a good book on the go. Not just one that you find lying around, but something you actually want to read and enjoy.

Hope you find a way to tackle it

JBeex

PS - A glass of red wine can also work wonders to make you feel more relaxed. I sometimes enjoy a large glass in a hot bath and then sleep like a baby (not in the bath though, obviously), but I think it very much depends on your mood and can have the opposite effect too, so it's not to be relied upon!

I've tried the herbal tabs. No use whatsoever are they?

I think i'm going to try the book idea. I need to get back to one i started on a few weeks ago.

I find if i get hammered, i sleep like a baby straight through (but with the hangover to go with it :loopy: ). I tend to have a glass or two of wine when i get in from work - that's why i probably feel tired mid evening. Maybe i should have a glass later on?

Thanks a lot everyone.

Try staying awake, bound to fall asleep!

Try staying awake, bound to fall asleep!

I've done that too lol.

Ok, having thoughtabout this, i think we need to refer back to you OP which mentions that your body is tired but your mind remains active.

Holistic medicine in based on treating the cause of the problem, allopathic medicine treats the symptoms. If you treat the cause, the symptoms will go away without supressing them.

Rather than zonking yourself out with sleeping tablets and suffering the side effects mentioned by SHsheff, try and find something that calms your mind, empties your head and allows you to nod off naturally.

UNISOL: Your Mission if you accept it....

I dont sleep well on Sundays either. I've got used to it now and don't even bother attempting to get an early night 'for work'. I just get in bed after midnight and lie there and think that it doesn't matter if I dont sleep, it's just a typical Sunday thing. Then I do go to sleep.

If it is just one night, then you could simply not worry about it, as you'll catch up on other nights. But if it does bother you then try something differnet each Sunday until you find the right method. There are lots of suggestions but one does not work for all, so try each until you find the right one.

Don't be afraid of sleeping pills. I once didn't sleep for six months - at most I'd maybe get two hours a night, usually falling asleep about 7am. I was 'cured' by taking a one month course of tricyclics, though I have always had sleep issues and always will.

Maybe you are one of those people who alcohol affects? I know it makes me sleep poorly, and sometimes it makes me too hyper to sleep.

I've tried the herbal tabs. No use whatsoever are they?

I think i'm going to try the book idea. I need to get back to one i started on a few weeks ago.

I find if i get hammered, i sleep like a baby straight through (but with the hangover to go with it :loopy: ). I tend to have a glass or two of wine when i get in from work - that's why i probably feel tired mid evening. Maybe i should have a glass later on?

Thanks a lot everyone.

Herbal tablets have helped me sleep in the past Nytol was good .

The book idea was no good for me because when i enjoy a book i can't put it down and that can definatley be rather counter productive.

The wine is worth a try but only a couple of glasses maybe it will help you to relax, it sounds like relaxation is what your missing in your busy life.

I train 6 days a week (except this morning :mad: ) - mostly in the mornings.

3 days weights, 3 days cardio.

I'm always tired weeknights - especially mid evening. If i feel myself dropping off, i try and hold it off until later in bed.

So no-one has any experience of sleeping tablets?

yes i have i was on them for ages and it was hard to cum of them I wunt even go there as it was awful coming of them, just try a couple of nytol as it only sundays good luck

My Sunday night insomnia is getting ridiculous!

Are sleeping tablets the answer i ask myself?

Can anyone give me the rundown on the advantages/disadvantages.

I think i would only need them sunday nights, but then would i be able to sleep monday having slept soo much sunday??

Any advice would be appreciated - just give me a gentle nudge!

N O apparently a rubber band on the wrist is, not too tight if you wake up constantlyor can not settle because your brain is racing pull band let it flick you on the wrist this should stop your mind racing. Problem is it does hurt but try aunything once and twice if youy like it.

Back to normal today thank god!

I was a zombie when i got home last night, but stuck it out and fell asleep (in bed) around 10:00.

Woke up naturally around 5:30, up at 6:00, gym for 6:30.

Feeling much much better today. The sunshine helps too.

:thumbsup:

OK, found this.

Try eating claming foods at bedtime, which include:

Turkey, tuna, lettuce (it worked for Peter Rabbit!), milk, youghurt, peanut butter, pasta, brown rice, oily fish, chamomile tea.

Avoid foods containing brain stimulant tyramine, which include:

Marmite, cheese, bacon, suasages, potato, tomato, chocolate and sugar.

So caffeine is not the only issue with chocolate...

It also said to avoid, aged fermented or spoiled foods: aged cheeses, spoiled meats, some aged and cured meats, Marmite yeast extract, sauerkraut, fermented soybean products (such as soya sauce and miso), broad (fava) bean pods, and draft (tap) beer have the highest levels of tyramine.

Bottled or canned beer and ale (including non-alcoholic varieties)

Red or white wine, Draft (tap) beer and ale, Port, Sherry, Vermouth

More stuff on how to avoid it here:

http://www.numarkpharmacists.com/hn/Diet/Tyramine_Free_Diet.htm