Liquid Paraffin and other ancient cures

I remember Ostermilk. And the orange juice was really sickly. But our milkman used to leave orange juice which was much nicer, but my parents could only afford it as a treat.

I also remember Virol, and Nurse Harvey's Gripe Water (Lovely)

I remember Ostermilk. And the orange juice was really sickly. But our milkman used to leave orange juice which was much nicer, but my parents could only afford it as a treat.

I also remember Virol, and Nurse Harvey's Gripe Water (Lovely)

Was this the orange juice the Milkman supplied in small (third pint) bottles with little bits of stuff floating around???...I understand that this was made from mostly "carrots", and once this info: was made abroad, sales collapsed...But I liked it.

Iodine...Nasty stuff...Radio active??..We used to have it painted on wounds. Put down our lugholes for earache....What year was it discontinued??.

Hi Greybeard,

Do you remember Ostermilk that was also handed out by the M of F. I was too old for it but I remember once trying sample. It sickly sweet.

Regards

I've no clear recollection of my time on the bottle ;) But I remember the tins of Ostermilk cos my siblings were fed on it. In fact I sometimes got lumbered holding the baby and the bottle :D

remember ostermilk and the orange juice. I thought gentian violet was used for scabies- not that I ever had them but I can remember the school nurse coming around and examining everybody's hands for any sign of scabies.

Yes, it was - but I didn't realise it was made of carrot!. Maybe they should introduce something similar for kids these days who don;t get enough veggies!

It never hurt us!

Iodine...Nasty stuff...Radio active??..We used to have it painted on wounds. Put down our lugholes for earache....What year was it discontinued??.

No, iodine counteracts radioactivity I think.

Clarkes blood mixture........now that was really nasty stuff! Taken off a spoon in medicine form. I remember my Mum dosing my Brother cos he had spots or something. I laughed at his poor demise so Mum chased me round and round the table till she caught me and I had it forced down my throat as well! Iodene used to be painted onto cuts and it stung! I remember some sea green stuff given to boost you up after an illness.....it began with an "M". Minica??? something like that anyhow. I suffered from constant tonsillitus as a child and was virtually reared on this stuff.....it tasted lovely. Minidex......I think thats the name. Kaolin poultices were used to draw "pus" from a wound. Boy were they hot!! The Kaoilin was boiled in a tin till very hot, then spread like butter on some bandage and applied scorching hot to the infected area. It worked as well! Kaolin was also used to stop the trots........kaolin and morphine. Wonderful preperation. It was stopped because of the morphine! I don't ever remember getting high on it........it used to be a Godsend in every medicine cabinet before all the junkies came about! AND.......all of the companies that profit out of the natural medicines that we were reared on! Comfry is a well known plant food and also has many other medicinal values for us.

I used to love the malt extract......sticky gooey stuff on a spoon.

I also remember ex-lax. My Sister robbed the cupboard of a whole block of this stuff.....thinking it was chocolate. lol. AND......she wouldn't share! lol. I also remember my Brother finding some lovely green coloured sweets. He wouldn't share either......but he soon spat it out! Years later I found out that these were put into the dried peas for the colour. lol.

As for lemsip.........my Mum used to make the home made version years before it arrived on the shelves! Fresh sliced lemon steeped in boiling water with sugar and a couple of aspirins added. This made a whole bowl full and allways made us feel better. Ahhhhh......memories.

Just thought of another one "Carters little Liver Pills" I ate one when I was a Kid and it made me puke.

My Mom Kept A Dark Brown Bottle Of Some Yellow Colored Thick Liquid, When My Brother Pulled Hot Water From The Kettle Onto His Chest She Grabbed The Bottle And Really Doused Him With It, Then Put Some Kind Of Pad Over It, He Never Had A Scar From That Accident, Does Anyone Know What This Stuff Was????

Sore throat? cough? brown sugar and onions then. Slice an onion, sprinkle demarara sugar over it, leave it to stand overnight then when we started coughing we were given a spoonful....it soothed the throat and stopped the coughing.

I used this with my own kids and still use it myself to this day when its just a tickle but otherwise well.:thumbsup:

One I really hated and glad its not around these days was something called "Fennings Fever Cure" :gag: :gag: slightest bit off colour and there it would be.

Oh and scissor powders, pink powder stuff that you mixed with a drop of milk on a teaspoon.....another :gag: