Hi all,

I am a student looking for accomodation for my next University year. I am looking into Broom Hall because it is close to the Uni of Sheffield. And I was just wondering what people thought of the BroomHall area?

And are there any plans to re-generate the area?

Regards,

Michael

Hi Micheal,

Broomhall is okay. I have several friends who have lived there in Student accomadation which is usually very nice. However a few (and only a few) have told me they encountered some kind of trouble in the area realting to fights and items being stolen from houses.

I think this is general in many city area.

I would suggest that maybe Broomhill is a much safer but and just up the rd and still very very close to the Uni. Plus it has a really good student base with excellent shops and pubs.

Sorry to burst the 'Biggin up' of Broomhall Bubble, but I read in the paper last year that an 18yr old male who was a student at Sheffield and walking through Broomhall one evening was attacked and raped by two males. I realise that this could happen anywhere, but it would put me off living there!

Broomhall has a seriously bad rep'! My advice would be to stick to Broomhill, Crookes and Ecclesall Road student areas!

Just My opinion!

Originally posted by "Fire|Storm"

Hi all,

I am a student looking for accomodation for my next University year. I am looking into Broom Hall because it is close to the Uni of Sheffield. And I was just wondering what people thought of the BroomHall area?

And are there any plans to re-generate the area?

Regards,

Michael

Michael if you were my son I'd say take a look at the previous posters recommendations. Broomhall by day looks OK but doesn't have a very good reputation.

I lived in Broomhall in my final year and never had any problems at all. think it depends where in Broomhall you live...we were right near the university which i think is the nicer part of broomhall anyway, its the eccelsall end that you need to be careful about

Michael- I lived in Broomhall for a year and half when i was studying. It's a bit of a crappy area but I didn't have a problem. I used to live on Filey Street and i didn't have any problems at all- it isn't a nice area though (police on the streets etc) but i always thought it was good for someone else to be attracting the police's attention so I could carry on stealing road signs/anything!!

Then again I moved to the new student apartments opposite the council houses (can't remember the road name but it is one the that connects to Eccy Road with a shell station on it- maybe Wellington or something) and i had a lot more trouble there.. people breaking stuff off my car... so it depends.. i would go for Crookes or something like that becasue everyone is friendlier and chances are you'll have student neighbours to party with

The problem here is where you choose to live. Broomhall has been a good area for as long as I can remember and that goes back to the early 70's. Drugs and prostitution may have been around but long since gone. The only problem in Broomhall is the senseless students that move in, cause trouble and residents are actually moving out because of student troubles. Students should live up in Broomhill and stop lowering the area.

hi we are a young family of mixed race nationalities. We are relocating to sheffield and are wondering if anyone would be able to give some info on which areas would appeal. Schooling is a big issue for us, as we dont want are children being the only children of duel nationalities there. We would like a friendly multiultral area, that is also low in crime. Good schools, shops and medioca nightlife....does this place exist???

any1 with any info would be greatly recieved

cheers

The problem here is where you choose to live. Broomhall has been a good area for as long as I can remember and that goes back to the early 70's. Drugs and prostitution may have been around but long since gone. The only problem in Broomhall is the senseless students that move in, cause trouble and residents are actually moving out because of student troubles. Students should live up in Broomhill and stop lowering the area.

Don't believe any of that.

Michael- I lived in Broomhall for a year and half when i was studying. It's a bit of a crappy area but I didn't have a problem. I used to live on Filey Street and i didn't have any problems at all- it isn't a nice area though (police on the streets etc) but i always thought it was good for someone else to be attracting the police's attention so I could carry on stealing road signs/anything!!

Then again I moved to the new student apartments opposite the council houses (can't remember the road name but it is one the that connects to Eccy Road with a shell station on it- maybe Wellington or something) and i had a lot more trouble there.. people breaking stuff off my car... so it depends.. i would go for Crookes or something like that becasue everyone is friendlier and chances are you'll have student neighbours to party with

The student houses in Crookes and Ecclesall are being sold off now the student villages are being built.

hi we are a young family of mixed race nationalities. We are relocating to sheffield and are wondering if anyone would be able to give some info on which areas would appeal. Schooling is a big issue for us, as we dont want are children being the only children of duel nationalities there. We would like a friendly multiultral area, that is also low in crime. Good schools, shops and medioca nightlife....does this place exist???

any1 with any info would be greatly recieved

cheers

You would probably like Nether Edge.

Depending on your budget, you could choose from the cheaper end near London/Abbeydale Road to more expensive as you move towards Kenwood/Ecclesall.

You'll also find an excellent range of shops, restaurants and other amenities AND not far from the city centre.

Can't comment on schools but again, i'm sure there are some good and some maybe not so?

Good luck.

Broomhall is a diverse and vibrant area of Sheffield, with a high percentage of multiple occupancy dwellings, and not all of these are students.

Despite the bad press you will find a warm welcome from most residents who have fascinating life stories and a deep affection for the area.

For such a small neighbourhood there is a lot going on, not only different activites and adult education classes, but community based groups all working together to be proud of living in Broomhall.

It is an inner city neighbourhood with lots of people per square meter, and inevitably there are occasions when we don't all see eye to eye, and many community minded residents work very hard to ensure community cohesion is a priority.

If you are a student looking for somewhere to live thats near to town and other facilities then Broomhall is great. All we ask is that you take part in your new community, say hello to people on the street, come to community events and really experience Broomhall, and not be someone who just walks through on their way to somewhere else.

You get back what you put in!