Opticians Withholding PD (Pupillary Distance) Reading

I’ve just had a recent eye test (speccy all my life) and when I mentioned I was going to look around for a couple of weeks before buying new glasses this prompted them to tell me that they would not be able to give me my PD (Pupillary Distance) reading which could effect any glasses I get elsewhere.

This sounds like scare tactics and a way to bully you into buying from a high street branch, ok fair enough they have 2 for 1 offer on and maybe I could find some specs there, but I’m wondering if they are allowed to withhold this information? I’ve paid for an eye test and it’s my own personal information so it seems a little odd they can do this?

I do not doubt this reading is important and I do have quite bad eyesight so obviously I don’t want to take any risks in getting cheaper ones that will damage my eyesight further.

Anyone have any more in-depth knowledge or ideas on this?

they cannot hold this from you. tell them you have paid for the eye test and you are well within your rights to demand it.

:o Tell them you're going for a consultation for laser vision and need your full prescription. My opticians have never witheld info. The tinkers!

PD is not an element of the obligatory prescription.

They could have just given you a copy of your prescription which would not include PD and said nothing.

It is extremely easy to measure, however. You can do it yourself and any other optician would have checked this measurement without charge.

They just hold a ruler up to your eyebrows!

However, if your optician has been so petty as to say they with withhold this measurement, I would take my custom elsewhere and let them know why.

Edited by cgksheff

It was Dollond & Aitchinson by the way.

I’ve just had a recent eye test (speccy all my life) and when I mentioned I was going to look around for a couple of weeks before buying new glasses this prompted them to tell me that they would not be able to give me my PD (Pupillary Distance) reading which could effect any glasses I get elsewhere.

This sounds like scare tactics and a way to bully you into buying from a high street branch, ok fair enough they have 2 for 1 offer on and maybe I could find some specs there, but I’m wondering if they are allowed to withhold this information? I’ve paid for an eye test and it’s my own personal information so it seems a little odd they can do this?

I do not doubt this reading is important and I do have quite bad eyesight so obviously I don’t want to take any risks in getting cheaper ones that will damage my eyesight further.

Anyone have any more in-depth knowledge or ideas on this?

I have never bought specs from this website but it does give a good discription on how to measure your Pupillary distance

http://www.onestopglasses.co.uk/faqs/measure-pd-pupil-distance.html

I have bought specs from here three times and found them OK

http://www.specsonthenet.com/

The first time I bought them I did not know my Pupillary distance and I used the average distance of 63, by the time bought my second pair I new my proper distance (61) but I could not see any difference in the two pairs so i think you don't have to be absolutely spot on with your measurement

Edited by alankearn

Hi Mtheo,

I am an optician and I can tell you that they legally are required to give you information that was found in your eye test. As part of the eye test they will record the PD - which is pupillary distance - eg distance between your pupils. If you have a high prescription this measurement is very important. It will not damage your eyes if you get the PD wrong - but it may result in eye strain and headaches.

What is your prescription and I will be able to help you further?

Thanks

Simon

Opticians are NOT obliged to provide your PD measurement following an eye test in the UK, even when you've paid for it. In fact the College of Optometrists and the General Optical Council are advising their fee paying members only to provide the PD when glasses have been purchased in store.

"Give Me My PD" is an active campaign aimed at changing the law to require the PD to be added to your prescription following an eye test and making it easier for you to buy your glasses wherever you choose.

This is my first post on your forum so I cannot post any links.

However you can sign the petition by adding the usual www prefix to this address: givememypd.epetitions.net you can also learn more and read the debate on the issue at pupillary-distance.net

Ewan McFarlane

MD Metsuki.com

Just wondered if anyone has had an update on this? I have contacted Scrivens, who did my last eye test a couple of years ago, and they have said that they will not supply PD measurement as there is "no legal obligation to do so". I will not be giving Scrivens the money for my eyetest again due to this response, so wondered if anyone had found an optician that does supply PD measurement?

However, if you send them £10 and a letter stating that you want a copy of all information they hold on you under the FoI Act, they cannot refuse to send it to you. Not that it is worth £10 obviously.

Since when did the FoI act apply to D&H?