Dimmer switch for floor lamp advice please

My Mum has a floor lamp with about 6/7 halogen lights on it - when its on the room is floodlit and its way too bright for her room. I thought she could put a dimmer switch on it.

Does anybody out there know if you can fit a dimmer switch for a lamp to a lamp which does not have one fitted already and if so, where do I get one from. When I have googled for dimmer switches all my results are those which are fixed to the wall which, of course, are not what I am looking for.

Any advice gratefully received.

My Mum has a floor lamp with about 6/7 halogen lights on it - when its on the room is floodlit and its way too bright for her room. I thought she could put a dimmer switch on it.

Does anybody out there know if you can fit a dimmer switch for a lamp to a lamp which does not have one fitted already and if so, where do I get one from. When I have googled for dimmer switches all my results are those which are fixed to the wall which, of course, are not what I am looking for.

Any advice gratefully received.

Don't think you can do that, might have to be a 3 way switch.

I do not know what a 3 way switch is? Will Google it though and see if its something we can do. Ta

One solution would be a plug-in dimmer.

I've got a vague idea that some lightbulbs are not suitable for use with a dimmer switch, but can't remember why!

I've got a vague idea that some lightbulbs are not suitable for use with a dimmer switch, but can't remember why!

I think I'd be afraid of something like that Dozy, specially at that cheap price :suspect:

I think I'd be afraid of something like that Dozy, specially at that cheap price :suspect:

I didn't actually notice the price! Mind you, it must comply with the necessary safety regs or they wouldn't be able to sell it.

My Mum has a smaller table lamp exactly same as the floor lamp she wishes to dim and the bulbs/everything are identical, and this came with a dimmer fitted - irony is that does not need really need dimming, would have been handy if they had fitted it onto the larger lamp. I am assuming if the smaller one which also has halogen bulbs has a dimmer fitted the bulbs on the floor lamp should in theory be dimmable to :confused:

I have contacted those people re the plug-in dimmer as frankly that would be perfect as we'd not have to mess around with the cables! (I did suggest we could possibly take the dimmer switch off the smaller lamp and connect it to bigger one as she is not fussed about smaller one not being able to be dimmed! You don't know if you don't try!)

Have had a look online and those plug-in dimmers are suitable for halogen lamps so I think we may as well go down this route and try that out first, they are cheap so nothing to lose if it does not work.

http://price-less.co.uk/priceless/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=116

Thanks