The Boiler/heating Megathread- all boiler & heating queries in here please

Hello all,

We're having a few problems with our combi boiler, and I wanted to post here before bugging my landlord incase it's something really simple!

It's not kicking in when we turn the hot taps on, the boiler makes the noise as the hot water gets pulled through, but the gas isn't coming on to make the water hot. It does heat up if we turn the central heating on, but obviously it's not viable to turn the heating on everytime we want to wash the dishes or to have a shower!

We've had problems before previously, but it was just a case of the boiler not being pressurized properly, but the gauge on the boiler is reading slightly above what it should be.

I'm wondering if it's just something really simple that I could fix myself, or whether I should just call my landlord out. Anybody got any ideas?

Guest Pauly

Something like either a thermister has gone or worst case scenario the diaphram in your diverter valve has split. Both are a little expensive to fix, talking over £100 depending on the part + labour etc. Sorry :roll:

It's started working again now :S

It's a bit odd, and so temperamental.Cost isn't really an issue because it's dealt with by our landlord... Guess I should give him a call later >_<

Guest Pauly

Fair enough matey. Probably worth giving him a call with a view to getting a corgi registered gas man out. It'll only get worse otherwise. :thumbsup:

Fair enough matey. Probably worth giving him a call with a view to getting a corgi registered gas man out. It'll only get worse otherwise. :thumbsup:

Thanks for you help :)

Guest Pauly

I help if I can. :D You're welcome.

Problem is sometimes that if it doesn't fault when a gas enginner is looking at it, it can be hard to diagnose - phone your landlord, he's responsible for it not you although you sound like a great tenant!

babs

Guest Pauly
Problem is sometimes that if it doesn't fault when a gas enginner is looking at it, it can be hard to diagnose - phone your landlord, he's responsible for it not you although you sound like a great tenant!

babs

Oooh damn those intermittent faults! Damn them! :rant: A repair man's nightmare. :(

babs

That's what I'm worried about - it's been working all afternoon but it NEVER works on a morning. It also never works when you turn the hot taps on upstairs, but you can leave it running upstairs, go downstairs and turn the kitchen tap on and it'll then kick in. Turn the kitchen tap off, and it stays hot. Like I say, this morning even that wouldn't work!

I'm gonna wait and see if it won't work tomorrow morning, and then call him then. No point calling him now, sending somebody around and then the bloody thing working! He'd just get mad for having to waste money on sending a plumber around!

do you know where the stopcock inside the house is?

If it's getting cranky about the flowrate through it, can it be solved by turning the mains water up slightly?

our combi boiler does the same, british gas are always telling us they're temprimental boilers.

so far we've had major problems with it most years since its been installed:mad:

Hmmm if your landlord calls a gas engineer and there is no fault your landlord could charge you for the call out - obviously something is going on - hmm my husband is the gas engineer and i have no idea, maybe from the info you have given one of the corgi men on here might have a better idea - spose it depends on the make and model of boiler too - i'm just guessing but it being a landlords place you probable have a chafeteux, elma blanc, Sp? or some other piece of French cr8p as my husband calls em - landlord specials.

babs