Why Is My Car So Fast?

Firstly, apologies for being such a numpty, but I know nothing about cars, I thought this might be a good place to get a bit of info..

After years of high finance charges, car thefts and expensive insurance premiums I bought an old run about. It's a Toyota 1.3 GLI 1993. Well its like the brown stuff off a shuvel. I've never really had performance cars but its the fastest car I've owned. Why is this? I've searched the internet and there's only negative things about the car. One says, "the car has poor security, but it doesn't matter, nobody will want to pinch it"...:hihi:

Are there different versions of the car? On the engine it says efi - 16v. I'm also unsure if it has a turbo. It whistles and seems to accelerate forever...

if you think its fast what you been driving before milk floats??

What model of Toyota?

Older cars tend to be much lighter, not as solidly built, smaller, less complicated. Lighter = faster! It might also be the gear ratios plus everything nowadays is about economy and it's all controlled electronicly.

if you think its fast what you been driving before milk floats??

Very funny. I can get that sort of abuse in other sections of the forum I came here for an informed intelligent discussion...:hihi:

What model of Toyota?

Older cars tend to be much lighter, not as solidly built, smaller, less complicated. Lighter = faster! It might also be the gear ratios plus everything nowadays is about economy and it's all controlled electronicly.

Corolla. I was a bit worried that it has been modified in some way and the insurance is not right. I've just burned a Celica GT off.....:hihi:

Nice one lol

Not sure you'll find too much advice on here about tuning a 1993 Toyota 1.3 GLI Frank, it is after all a Classic Car Forum and despite several threads on what constitutes a Classic Car, I've never read about a yota 1.3 on any of them.

Would suggest if it's that fast, that some mechanic who knew his stuff once decided to buy a shed and soup it up just to have some fun at the traffic lights with boy racers. How clean is the engine bay?

Not sure you'll find too much advice on here about tuning a 1993 Toyota 1.3 GLI Frank, it is after all a Classic Car Forum and despite several threads on what constitutes a Classic Car, I've never read about a yota 1.3 on any of them.

Would suggest if it's that fast, that some mechanic who knew his stuff once decided to buy a shed and soup it up just to have some fun at the traffic lights with boy racers. How clean is the engine bay?

That could be it. Its in good condition and clean...

Firstly, apologies for being such a numpty, but I know nothing about cars, I thought this might be a good place to get a bit of info..

After years of high finance charges, car thefts and expensive insurance premiums I bought an old run about. It's a Toyota 1.3 GLI 1993. Well its like the brown stuff off a shuvel. I've never really had performance cars but its the fastest car I've owned. Why is this? I've searched the internet and there's only negative things about the car. One says, "the car has poor security, but it doesn't matter, nobody will want to pinch it"...:hihi:

Are there different versions of the car? On the engine it says efi - 16v. I'm also unsure if it has a turbo. It whistles and seems to accelerate forever...

Are you sure its not had a twin cam 16v engine put in it?

Are you sure its not had a twin cam 16v engine put in it?

It says 16v on the engine efi....

Check the log book with the engine number see if its had a bigger motor put in.As someone said above about older cars being lighter a 1ltr Polo we had was surprisingly quick and so easy to wheel spin at the lights.