Local Cricket Heroes down the years

How about a few memories of some popular and outstanding local League cricketers down the years. Every club has had its share of notable players and great characters, and it would be good to get a few tales being told. Think of people like George Pope when he was at Sheffield United; Frank Melling, the old United captain; Ike Baxter, of Elsecar and Whitley Hall; Arnie Mellor, of Rawmarsh and Thorncliffe Rec.

I've also been trying to get a similar debate going on http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/sheffieldsport, but it seems all the cricketers have gone to Australia (or India) for the winter.

my dad played for shiregreen cc from 70s into the 80s then frechville onto around 86

his name was jim myers.

my uncle played for shiregreen also (john myers) they both lived for cricket.

Remember them both. Shiregreen was a great club in those days!

My dad and most of my uncles played for Normanton Springs in the 40's and 50's

John & Jim Myers , remember them both from school. Both a bit quick with the deliveries

if I remember rightly, couple of nice lads as well.

Yes dad was a mean bowler.

Graham Burdett, Nick Cowan, John Cave, Steve Foster, Lesroy Weekes, Martin Wroe

Jamesey

Old thread I know but I have a couple of cricket photos photos from when I played with Jim in representative cricket.

Not sure how I can get these to you though

Hi LBW0, have a look at the thread (on the History & Expats section) "Completion of City Hall" post #8 by hillsbro on 15th Feb 2016 for one way of posting pictures accepted by this Forum.

You could also 'google' "Posting pictures on Forums" for more help.

My local playing days ended in the early 60's when veterans George Pope and Ike Baxter were still captaining league teams I played against. It seems to be difficult to stir up interest in Cricket threads as previous attempts have shown.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

There is an old stump somewhere here that my dad kept as a memento after he broke it in half bowling out Ike Baxter.

thanks a lot that would be geat , ive pmed you mate , cheers:D

Some very interesting comments on here since I last visited the page. Would be great to know exactly who the people are, and have the chance to hear of some incidents and particular memories. Many years ago, I had a league cricket column in the local morning paper, and it was quite popular. Still watching some local cricket, when the weather permits, and always sorry that the season seems always to be over almost as soon as it has begun!