Save our Libraries Day - 5th February

:rant: It is National Save our Libraries Day on Saturday 5th February. There are proposals to cut Sheffield Libraries budget by almost 30% over 3 years. If you care about public libraries come to Sheffield Central Library for 11am on Saturday for Shhh! Further details at http://sinto.wetpaint.com/page/Save+our+Libraries

Follow @lwfabf, #shh4sheflib and ReTweet

Edited by Andy
Fixed link

we'll be there! The libraries in Sheffield (and in general!) are fantastic

I love libraries, I remember going to Highfield library on the the tram from Heeley Bottom, 2 old pence, brill

Try this link, it works: Save our Libraries

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

is it just the central library, or can you show support at your local one? (other than obviously using it)

The Shh-In at Central is the only event I know of but please go to your local library if you wish. Peraps you could print out some of the posters from the website or Phil Bradley's "war" posters and put them up. NB library staff may not be able to give permission to display these posters but talk to them and anyway it's your public library - not the councils!

I love libraries, I remember going to Highfield library on the the tram from Heeley Bottom, 2 old pence, brill

When is the last time you went though? People want to save the libraries but not use them. Where does that leave the council?

I am not saying you don't, but I get annoyed with the folks that will happily say libraries need saving without having been for years. If you think they need saving, get your behind in gear and use them!

Plenty of people use my local one at Ecclesall - there is always a queue and on Saturdays its heaving!

If there was ever a better example of where public money could be saved than our local library, then I would like to see it.

It is a very small library that only really caters for old people and small children, yet it is often manned by three people. When they get within 25 minutes of the closing time they start to fasten the shutters and generally to make people very unwelcome. This library could easily be run by a single person, thereby saving a fortune.

Yes, you are correct, it`s like all the things that disappear over the years, don`t moan when it`s gone, it will be too late, we must all start to use em or lose em, I will start tomorrow.

If there was ever a better example of where public money could be saved than our local library, then I would like to see it.

It is a very small library that only really caters for old people and small children, yet it is often manned by three people. When they get within 25 minutes of the closing time they start to fasten the shutters and generally to make people very unwelcome. This library could easily be run by a single person, thereby saving a fortune.

I was in the Central library the other day. About 4/5 members of staff just in the main section on the ground floor. The library was busy, but people were using the internet instead of actually taking out books.

I understand that the library is a 'free' method of using the internet for some people, but is this what libraries are about? I've said before that the council needs to let out library space to private companies to run cafes - the computers should be part of this cafe rather than the actual library.

I agree that staffing must be reduced. There are self-scanning machines for taking out books.

I will try to attend on Saturday. Can I just point out a slight error on the website though? It says that there are no plans to close any Sheffield libraries. The council is wanting to close the children's library at Hillsborough, which is an extremely well-used library.