Military Jet Crash at Frechville in the 50's

Does anyone remember or have information about a RAF airplane crash in the 50's which just missed Frecheville garage and came down in a field on the other side of Birley Moor road? I was a kid at the time and remember seeing some of the wreckage and a policeman standing guard. It may have been about '55 but I have not been able to find any details.

i would also be intrested inany information as a spent a few years livin in frecheville recently. Could you be more specific to where it landed/crashed?

Guest bostonaire

the plane crash youre talking about is the one i think that crash landed in the field just on the corner of silkstone crescent... towards the path that goes thru the field to birley spa school .my family used to live there and saw it all ..the pilot ejected to safety..

Thanks for your help on this one Nitelife. Looks like you got it in one. It is great to hear that the pilot did escape safely as this was something I wasn't sure about. I remember being amazed that the plane came down on a small patch of clear land with houses on both sides of it. Any idea what year that was?

Thanks also Geoff for your input.

Guest bostonaire

hi possibly very late 50#s or very early 60's ........not exactly sure ..ill ask my family!

I seem to have a distant memory that it was a Meteor twin engined jet, can't remember any details though.

Does anyone know if there's any pics?

Guest bostonaire

im trying to gather more information from my family who saw it all ...ill get back to you

There may have been a report in the newspaper I guess about this accident? I have a feeling that it was a Meteor also. Perhaps based at Finningley?

Guest bostonaire

no its def what i said .....my family saw it all mate.it was a plane ...

Originally posted by nitelife40

no its def what i said .....my family saw it all mate.it was a plane ...

A meteor is a type of plane mate. It was used by the RAF between 1948-1972. Primarily as a trainer.There was a sqnd based at Finningley near doncaster.

Do you know the year Nitelife? or any other info?