Somebody a bit scary knocking on my door with a menu (S6)

Er, a white van just pulled up outside my house. Furious knocking at front door. When I opened the door the guy stuck his head right into the house and started asking me if I'd ever ordered from a particular take away (didn't catch the name of it). I said "no", he said "no, not now - some time ago". I said no again, then he said something about the previous owner of the house asking him to give me a menu (which he had in his hand) :huh: Er...made no sense and was rather scary as he seemed a bit edgy and was rather pushy. Didn't go to anyone elses house, and only had 1 menu, not a stack like he was delivering. I told him I wasn't interested and closed the door sharpish, and he got back in van and they drove off. Anyone else had this?

Time to invest in a door chain cal - Even as a 6'2, grumpy looking fat lad I enjoy the added level of "Sod off - You're not welcome" that it gives.

Not had it down my end of the road ...... Just a very nice chap last night bringing me a large donner :D

Seems a bit odd.

Without wanting to worry you, is it possible he was checking if someone was home? If you can remember which take away it was, give them a ring to check if they did indeed send someone with a menu.

It may be worth giving the police a call to see if anyone else has reported similar as it is odd behavior.

Just a bit nervous I suppose. Our house is up for sale and it did occur to me that the photos in the brochures and on the estate agent's website do rather seem to advertise all the nickable stuff you might have in your house. We have a burglar alarm, and a chain (but I confess I never use the chain:rolleyes:). Perhaps now would be a good time to start...

I'd definately report it, delivery people don't usually go to the touble of knocking, they would simply post the menu through the letter box, i'd agree with Andy that they were probably checking to see if anyone was home.

I've had a bad experience recently, since then I don't answer the door to anybody who hasn't phoned and given me notice they are visiting. Sad but true..

dont expect a lot from a door chain they are only held in by a couple of small screws

I wouldn't trust a door chain, even if it was top quality. They're only as good as the screws and wood holding them on. A good kick and they're usually gone. Don't open the door to anyone you don't know or aren't expecting is the best rule. Like Swan Vesta, I'm a biggish lad and even I don't open my door, I just shout, through the letterbox if necessary.

if you or anyone is actually worried about this sort of thing you can have an electric door viewer fitted, it has a large screen on the inside and you can press a button to take a digital image of the person in front of the door

You said that he put his head inside the door you don't have any keys for a car or anything near the door do you ? I would have thought that he was checking the place out I would definitely report it to the police.