New Tesco Metro on Church St!

what on earth were the planners thinking of????? granting planning for a tesco in this position, i have no axe to grind against TESCO BUT SERIOUSLY SHEFFIELD COUNCIL???? next to the Cutlers hall, a building that celebrates Sheffields steel and cutlery heritage, opposite the Cathedral, hardly in keeping is it???? oh and it was a really beautiful building inside and out and have just seen the quality wooden banking hall features & guts being ripped out and thrown into skips, shame on you:rant:

what on earth were the planners thinking of????? granting planning for a tesco in this position, i have no axe to grind against TESCO BUT SERIOUSLY SHEFFIELD COUNCIL???? next to the Cutlers hall, a building that celebrates Sheffields steel and cutlery heritage, opposite the Cathedral, hardly in keeping is it???? oh and it was a really beautiful building inside and out and have just seen the quality wooden banking hall features & guts being ripped out and thrown into skips, shame on you:rant:

A Tesco in the city centre proper, excellent news.

That building has been empty since HSBC left about 5 years ago.

Thank god for that! Well done Tesco!

That building has been empty since HSBC left about 5 years ago.

Thank god for that! Well done Tesco!

i agree it was a dump and needed something doing to it but a Tesco???? and also sainsburys further down is opening at the old blacks store, soon thats all there will be is charity shops and supermarkets..........way to go council thats the way to get people into the centre:roll::roll:

i agree it was a dump and needed something doing to it but a Tesco???? and also sainsburys further down is opening at the old blacks store, soon thats all there will be is charity shops and supermarkets..........way to go council thats the way to get people into the centre:roll::roll:

There are more and more people LIVING in the city centre - they need supermarkets. SCC is giving Sheffield people what Sheffield people want - way to go SCC.

What gets me is that people didn't give a toss when it was empty!

Surely a Tesco Metro is better than an empty shop ?

There are more and more people LIVING in the city centre - they need supermarkets. SCC is giving Sheffield people what Sheffield people want - way to go SCC.

that may be so, there are more living in the centre mainly students, SCC use planning to their own agenda.....loads of people wanted Hooters in Leopold square but that was refused.....in fact the old Hsbc would have been a good site for Hooters:o

Maybe you should ask SCC and then let us know what they said.

Wasn't Hooters turned down because so many people objected, I doubt that the council were in any way opposed to a successful business opening up but can you imagine the uproar if they'd just ignored the opponents who managed to bring it to the general publics attention

Wasn't Hooters turned down because so many people objected, I doubt that the council were in any way opposed to a successful business opening up but can you imagine the uproar if they'd just ignored the opponents who managed to bring it to the general publics attention

Hooters was turned down because there was and is a anti "sexist" agenda by SCC and a few religious types and feminists created a fuss, SCC are against anything business wise that doesnt fit their pc ideals!