2015/16 recommended tradesmen MEGATHREAD no advertising/self promotion

I've just moved to Woodseats and need a window cleaner. Does anyone know of a window cleaner in that area that comes around monthly or fortnightly?

Thanks,

A x

Try Firths 07876735307, we live on Woodseats and they clean ours and several neighbours windows.

sham.69er on here is brilliant. he has done my windows for ages and does a really good job.... is cheap too

I can recommend firths. I had several no hopers and phoned around trying to find one, eventually chased these guys down in the street and begged them to do my windows. Have had reliably clean windows ever since. The also do my gutters for me every so often as lucky enough to have a council lime tree outside house.

Hi All,

Just after a bit of help / advise on a few building maintenance issues:-

1. Our wooden bay window frame has started to rot and needs fixing / replacing, possibly needs the roof re-felting too - any suggestions on recommended tradesmen?

2. Wooden guttering is overflowing when it rains (new last year) we need someone to come out an unblock / fix - any suggestions on recommended tradesmen?

3. Attic room dormer window facia board needs replacing, possibly needs the roof re-felting too - any suggestions on recommended tradesmen?

4. New back door and frame needed, looking for a hardwood stable door style door, frame and fixtures and someone to fit it - any suggestions on recommended shop / tradesmen?

5. As a result of guttering leaking, could do with external brickwork re-pointing - any suggestions on recommended tradesmen?

6. Also looking to get kitchen / dining room skimmed / re-plastered in the near future - any suggestions on recommended tradesmen?

We live in Sheffield S8 in a typical Sheffield Terrace house with off-shot kitchen and attic conversion (if that helps at all). Ideally want to get some of this list sorted before Autumn. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=548135&page=113

Check here over the last few months, be careful of recommendations from users with only 1 or 2 posts.

Be prepared to wait for decent guys, horror stories are common on here 3/4 times a year from customers who have either gone for the cheapest, available quickest, handymen who are not competent or a mixture of all 3.

Hope this helps, Chris @ MAC Plastering

Agree with Chris.

Avoid anyone who's new (not that means they are bad).

There are loads of us who have been here for years, the 'numpties' get found out very quickly on SF !!!

Good luck with whoever you decide to go with.

I'm looking for someone to do a bit of minor concrete repair on an old garage and fixing a loose paving slab. Any recommendations for S35 area?

Ben

Mod Note

Have turned this into the new 2014 Recommended Tradesmen Megathread

(original thread was here http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=548135 )

Just a reminder to those posting that self-promotion and spamming/ self-advertising is not welcome.

When asking for QUOTES, the rule remains the same as before:- please place any requests for posts in the appropriate section, in Classifieds, under "Jobs"

Thanks

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=548135&page=113

Check here over the last few months, be careful of recommendations from users with only 1 or 2 posts.

Be prepared to wait for decent guys, horror stories are common on here 3/4 times a year from customers who have either gone for the cheapest, available quickest, handymen who are not competent or a mixture of all 3.

Hope this helps, Chris @ MAC Plastering

Whilst I agree with everything else you have said there, I think it is completely unfair and misleading to state people should be careful of those posts with only 1 or 2 post, or new members.

Some people join specifically to praise good workmanship so others may benefit from their good experience. Every single person on here has 1 post to start with, it just may happen to be a recommendation.

Common sense must prevail with any tradesman/contractors in your home.

Get quotes. Don't just settle on one quote.

Keep a open mind.

If its cheap there will be a reason, for example not VAT registered or have any employers liability or public liability. Nor any guarantees for your money.

Do your research and ask yourself if you would be happy to leave the potential workmen in your home unattended or with your keys as sometimes that has to happen.

Whilst I agree with everything else you have said there, I think it is completely unfair and misleading to state people should be careful of those posts with only 1 or 2 post, or new members.

Some people join specifically to praise good workmanship so others may benefit from their good experience. Every single person on here has 1 post to start with, it just may happen to be a recommendation.

It's not really unfair or misleading, it's common sense, and with a bit of research on some of the recommendations, not just in that thread, you can work out who is giving themselves self recommendations or getting partners to do so on occasions.

I saw a few weeks ago a recommendation for a guy with a phone number ending 111 (number just an example)

A quick previous post search of the poster and it was obvious to see that she was his partner as they had posted in the for sale section with said tradesmen's phone number to contact them if you wanted to buy the item.

I have also followed a guy about 2/3 years ago after he had 2/3 recommendations from 1 or 2 post users and saw the bad work he left which I had to rectify for 3 separate customers, basically they moaned about the previous guy and the same name kept popping up.

As dan said, they are not all bad, but it's worth keeping yours wits about you when using someone who has little history, there is no regulations on the job section (something I have mentioned before) therefor anybody can sign up and anybody can pretend to be what they fancy.

Remember you cannot bad mouth tradesmen on here SF will simply remove it

Edited by Mac_Plas

I have a corrugated asbestos shed roof that needs removing and disposing of. Does anyone know any good companies to contact for quotes? Don't want to remove myself. Shed is 10ft x 6.5ft. Thanks.