Recommendations for a good quality cheap kitchen?

We are looking into getting a new kitchen and I don't know where to start!

(We need it to be totally fitted for us as we are terrible at DIY ;))

It will be quite a small kitchen (offshot terrace) probably plain white gloss modern units and either timber or black worktop. We need a new sink, oven & hob, & dishwasher but not fridge/freezer.

The units would need to be bespoke as at the moment we have half-depth units along one side, and we have high ceilings so it would be nice to get extra storage up there.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Would we be better off using a company to do the whole thing, or get hold of the items separately and employ a joiner/plumber type person to install it all for us?

Thanks in advance :)

Just pm joinerandy as he will be bound to post in here.

We've always bought from Ikea and fitted ourselves (after prep work by builder ie. plastering, electrics etc..). They tend to work out cheaper and the quality is pretty good for the money.

In our present house we fitted tall larder cupboards which are 2.1m high and approx. 300mm deep. May be an option for your kitchen.

Ooh they sound good :)

I would be petrified of trying to fit it myself, seriously, we once spent a whole weekend fitting a new pendant light for our dining room!

But maybe once I've done a bit more research, Ikea & joinerandy could be a good combo...

I've been loooking online at these companies which offer a full design & build service -

http://www.kitchenssheffield.net/index.html

http://www.directkitchens.co.uk/

I thought they might be a good start to get design ideas and a feel for cost.

Kitchen companies charge a fortune to fit. When we had ours done the quotes were all 2k plus and it's not a massive kitchen. Luckily i have someone in the family who is handy with such stuff so we paid him instead.

Do you have any handy folk who could help you? if so you could probably pick up a kitchen for a good price if you're willing to shop around. We found the worktops to be the biggest expense and hassle.

Good luck x

Kitchen companies charge a fortune to fit. When we had ours done the quotes were all 2k plus and it's not a massive kitchen. Luckily i have someone in the family who is handy with such stuff so we paid him instead.

Do you have any handy folk who could help you? if so you could probably pick up a kitchen for a good price if you're willing to shop around. We found the worktops to be the biggest expense and hassle.

Good luck x

Ooosh!

I might need to look into a handyman then!

I just phoned Wren Kitchens, and they've quoted over the phone approx £4500 just for like-for-like (That's a TINY kitchen)

Ooosh!

I just phoned Wren Kitchens, and they've quoted over the phone approx £4500 just for like-for-like (That's a TINY kitchen)

Oddly enough we bought our kitchen from Wren when they had a sale on! units and all appliances came to less than 2 grand. It was the worktops that stung!

Just a quick message to let you know I have recently started up my own joinery firm after a number of years working in shopfitting away from home. I can provide excellent quality units with 20mm hard backs making them stronger than those you would find in even the likes of Magnet or Arnold Levers at reasonable prices, having struck a deal with a manufacturers that I used to regularly deal with. I am a qualified joiner with public liability insurance for piece of mind. I am also able to provide all the items that you will need to complete a kitchen including plastering/electrics/tiling. If you are interested in a quote for supply of kitchen only or supply and fit and would like to find out more give me a call on 07853929417 or email [email protected].

try nankivells on 01245 456026 http://www.nankivells.com, they offer fully bespoke kitchens so it can be tailored to be as expensive or cheap as you desire!

Ooosh!

Wren??? There not cheap for what you get. I just fitted quite a decent size kitchen that cost £2500 for £600. It looked like a £6000 kitchen when finished. Advice don't have too many fitted appliances it bumps the price up. Fitted hob and cooker is often enough with the others freestanding.

Another recomendation for Ikea from me. We got our kitchen and all the appliances from there including dishwasher, oven & hob, sink and fridge freezer and I found a local joiner to fit it. It Cost us 3.5k including fitting and it's very good quality. We also got a £100 Ikea gift card for every £1000 we spent which was very handy.

Another recomendation for Ikea from me. We got our kitchen and all the appliances from there including dishwasher, oven & hob, sink and fridge freezer and I found a local joiner to fit it. It Cost us 3.5k including fitting and it's very good quality. We also got a £100 Ikea gift card for every £1000 we spent which was very handy.

Cheap "yes" good value "no". Ive fitted many an Ikea kitchen, the units are not good and deteriate quickly. If you are looking to fit a kitchen in a house you are selling then they do the job but they are not one I as a joiner/fitter would use. A lot of the quality is in the fit. Don't have the lad in the pub fit it for a few quid, then again their is no mojo in a kitchen it just needs to be fitted well with attension to detail.

I too can give gift cards. Recommend me to someone else for a kitchen or bathroom and I'll drop you a £100 John lewis voucher, no thats a real deal.

Edited by Riche