View Full Version : Committee nominations 2012/2013
An update from the SFBC AGM that was held this Tuesday (8th May)
Paul and Nisha are stepping down from the committtee
There were a number of nominations for all of ALL the committee positions and due to the time and importance of the decision the following was proposed;
-open nominations for the committee postions for one week
- people can self nominate or if are nominated by another person this needs to be in agreement with the nominee.
- Those who are standing for the committee need to then have a few days to send an email to email@example.com with a brief proposal.
- The names of nominees and their proposals will then be sent (via email and on the forum) to all players
- In the case of more than one nominee for a postion, a meeting for an annonymous vote will be held and for the new committee to be appointed.
- For this process to take place, untill the above occurs the existing committee will remain in post.
This is the time scale
- ALL nominees to officially notify firstname.lastname@example.org of their intentions to stand and for what position(s) by Thursday 17.05.2012
- All nominees to submit a brief proposal by Monday 21.05.2012
-The names of candidates, the position they are standing for and their proposals will be emailed/placed on the forum on 22.05.2012
- In the likely case of a vote being held this will be done so on Tuesday 29.05.2012 9.30pm after the club night at the old queens head.
To recap the current committee postions are chairperson, secretary, treasurer, operations manager and social secretary
- if you want to make sure you're up to date with our socials, etc. please provide your email address to the committee at: email@example.com
After the AGM just to confirm
- Paul, Nisha, Vicki and Allan are stepping down from the committee
- Nominations were open over the past week with the deadline of 21.05.2012 for nominees to submit their proposals
- We have not received more than one nomintation for a committee position therefore a vote is not needed and the committee for the next year can now be confirmed as;
Chairperson - Gareth Evans
Secretary - Jen Foster
Treasurer - Celine Day
Operations Manager - VACANT
Social Secretary - Michelle Lee
Their proposals for the next year are below and I have emailed out the minutes from the AGM held on 08.05.2012 to show what the committee will be working towards over the next year. If you have not received a copy of the minutes and wish to do so by email please email firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be a transitionary period while the current committee hand over so we all ask for your patience with us during this time.
We look forward to continuing to enjoy playing badminton (and the refreshments) with you all.
Paul, Nisha, Celine, Vicki and Allan
Your SFBC committee 2011/12
Gareth Evans (Chairperson)
I have been playing regularly on a Tuesday and Thursday at SFBC for about 18 months now. I also attend most of the socials, have played in the league team and took part in the world record event.
I would like to see the club remain as open and informal as possible- the attraction of SFBC is the opportunity to be able to turn up for a game of Badminton in a friendly, social atmosphere. We have a great mix of people playing at the club.
After talking with current players, if elected chair I would concentrate on 2 main areas.
1. Making new players feel welcome - I would use a welcome banner or the existing whiteboard as a meeting point for new players. I would also like to find a few people willing to join me in keeping an eye out for newcomers. This would allow us to explain the setup and get people into their first game. We could also use this opportunity to better inform on the pub/social aspects of the club.
2. Thursday Night Badminton - I would like to continue the Thursday night relaunch as a session open to all players. There is demand for a second night of badminton, but I know some people have not felt comfortable attending Thursday sessions in the past. By attracting more players to the Thursday sessions it will be possible to cater for all skill/competitiveness levels.
I would also look at other changes, such as allowing sign-up via Facebook.
Finally, as an informal organisation, the club should belong to all of the players. I would welcome all suggestions, questions, opinions, offers of help either directly or via the Forum/Facebook.
Happy Badmintoning !
Jen Foster (Secretary)
I joined SFBC just over five years ago when I first moved to Sheffield. It's through this club that I met my boyfriend and have made many other close friends. Work commitments have previously made it difficult for me to devote much time to the club beyond playing. However, I've recently started a new job with more sociable hours and I'd really like to be able to get more involved.
I think I could make a valuable contribution as secretary. Being a journalist, I regularly attend meetings of all kinds and have to be able to produce accurate notes quickly. I am rarely too far from internet access so I'm confident I could manage the day-to-day administration on the club's behalf. I'd also be more than happy to update the club website, as well as the forum, Facebook and Twitter to make sure everyone is aware of committee decisions as well as events, news and activities.
SFBC was such a positive environment to become part of when I first moved to the city that I'd really like to see the club continue with the inclusive, informal and friendly spirit which made me feel so welcome.
Celine Day (Treasurer)
*Be responsible for all club finances through ensuring adequate accounts and records exist.
* Issue receipts and keep records of all monies received
* Plan the annual budget in agreement with the club committee, and monitor throughout the year.
* Ensure that all funds are used appropriately.
* Ensure prompt banking of funding.
* Maintain up to date records of all transactions and records of income and expenditure.
* Prepare end of year accounts and present to the committee and AGM.
Michelle Lee (Social Secretary)
My current role as Business Development Manager with Baxterstorey www.baxterstorey.com see's me based at one of our Clients - Irwin Mitchell, of which I manage the Leeds, London & Sheffield offices with the help of my lovely team. My day to day role consists of liaising with IM staff, board members, Partners of IM, IMCF Charity Department in planning of events, risk assesments, managing budgets be it a small fine dining event or a large scale IM Sponsored After Dark Bonfire which is held on Don Valley Bowl and also many Networking evenings.
We also head up the "Give & Gain project" which is to give back to local communities and is a fantastic way to get involved with the community, meet new people and make a difference. Volunteering is a great experience and it’s great to get out of the office for a worthwhile cause. some of the projects have included sleeping outside for the night to raise money for the Archer Project at the Cathedral, building a poly tunnel for local schools to grow their own fruit & vegetables, renovation of a homeless centre in South Sheffield.
Over the past 2 years, I have also been part of the "Countdown to 2012" strategy team in which we won the contract for looking after all the Hospitality/Events for the Press & Journalism area for the 2012 Olympic Games.
Previous to this role I was Events & Business Manager for The Natural History Museum in South Kensington, which is a fantastic place to work with liasing and planning events like Wildlife Photographer Of The Year and Harry Potter Film Premiere after party - Not all events were as exciting!!
As you may be able to guess I love planning get together's & events and I would like to focus on organising more events that give everyone chance to get to know each other but are free or relatively low cost. Summer is coming and things like a picnic in the park with a game of rounders/frisbee would be great fun. A walk in the Peak District, Geo Caching, bike ride and picnic, are a few more ideas. The idea of having an ongoing thread on the forum and facebook to encourage members old and new to be more active in putting ideas over for events . It would also be nice to refresh the clubs tradition of a couple of big events every year , like the away weekend at the hostel, camping trips or maybe look at an exchange with a similar foreign badminton club?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.