Bicep Exercises & Pressups

Hi

Is there any way to positon your hands when doing press ups so that you work your biceps. Trying to find an exercise to do that doesnt need any equipment but works the biceps, any suggestions ?

Googled it however everything I read says you need some sort of equipment, even if its only tree branch :confused:

Cheers

1st ben, you need to get some arms ..lol.... theres loads mate, show u next time ur at gym, or ask Si... hes got weak arms, but will know some exercises..lol

Press-ups are good for general toning, but if you really want bulging muscles you're going to to need a little more than the floor and your arms in my opinion. Push ups are much better for chest, delts and triceps.

You could always get a cheap pull up bar to attach to a door frame. You'd be able to use this for biceps and back/lats and enjoy a full muscle workout in your own house.

Hey my arms are massive, however just like the rest of my body there surrounded by a protective layer.

I'll see Simon later so i'll have a word with him and if im not satisfied i'll come down and see Kyoshi for a proper answer lol.

Cheers

You could always get a cheap pull up bar to attach to a door frame. You'd be able to use this for biceps and back/lats and enjoy a full muscle workout in your own house.

Good idea however i've been told in no uncertain terms that i'm not allowed attach anything to the door frames.

I have dumbells however if i'm not at home then this isnt and option.

I've been hammering the weight loss recently, got myself from 15st 10lbs to 11st 6lbs and starting to put some weight on as muscle now. One thing I have to say is biceps aren't really hit too hard by press ups, although they do help to add shape to the arm overall. I use a barbell and dumbbells for working on my biceps.

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/international-pushup-variations/standard-pushup.php#slidetop

That links contains some nice variations on press ups, but none really focus on biceps. I have a pull up bar on my door frame as well, can highly recommend as a cheap, easy and effective piece of training equipment.

Hi

Is there any way to positon your hands when doing press ups so that you work your biceps. Trying to find an exercise to do that doesnt need any equipment but works the biceps, any suggestions ?

Googled it however everything I read says you need some sort of equipment, even if its only tree branch :confused:

Cheers

Curls and kettlebells are your best bet. Diamond push ups are bettet for triceps. Widearm are better for chests. I cant think of a pushup exvercise which isolates biceps?

You can do a self resistance bicep curl, that works. Push down on your arm with your other arm.

Hi

Cheers

Hey my arms are massive, however just like the rest of my body there surrounded by a protective layer.

I'll see Simon later so i'll have a word with him and if im not satisfied i'll come down and see Kyoshi for a proper answer lol.

Cheers

Good idea however i've been told in no uncertain terms that i'm not allowed attach anything to the door frames.

Press-ups are fantastic exercise, but, in terms of arm muscles they work the triceps (pushing) rather than the biceps (pulling): however, they also work the pecs (chest), delts (shoulders) and, due to the need to keep the body straight, the core muscles, abs and legs.

Also, as you are interested in losing fat, they're a good cardio exercise as well.

If you do want to target the biceps, simply use your dumbells and do curls: with a bigger weight, upright rows could also be a possibility.

A chinning bar would also be very useful- if you can't attach anything to a door frame you might want to chack the new style of bar which are designed to fit over the door without requireng any permanent attachment fittings- Decathlon had some in stock several weeks back: I've never used that type so I can't vouch for it, but there's reviews etc online.

My experience is that arms tend to grow more via compound excersises (ones utilising several muscle groups simultaneously e.g. chins, upright rows) rather than isolation exercises (ones which target one specific group only e.g. bicep curls).

It's a well established theory, with some claiming that to get big arms, the best exercise is heavy squats, because squats, even though would seem to not work the arms, work so much of the bodies overall muscle mass, that they promote growth in every muscle group.

Finally, your username suggests you may be involved in Goju karate? If so, kettlebells would be worth a look, they're very popular amongst mma-ers and, similar in ethos to some of the traditional goju weoght training devices.

Cheers

damn straight :hihi:

You can do a self resistance bicep curl, that works. Push down on your arm with your other arm.

But then surely your resistance would depend on the strength of your arm, and since both arms would be roughly the same strength you wouldn't get anywhere.

You can get bars now from JML type places which require no permanent fixture. Get one and feel the gains!