How young to travel on a bus on their own?

My eldest is now 7 and wants to go to grannys house on her own. It is a pretty long walk but only 2 stops on the bus. She is pretty sensible and has done the journey a few times, so she knows exactly what to do

While I am not happy about allowing it right now I am wondering what the law (or a bus company) might think

To my knowledge children have to be 12 to fly on an airplane unaccompanied (if the airline agrees and allocates a stewardess) but buses must be different as a lot of children at school use the bus every day

According to the Children and Young Person’s Act "there is no legal age limit for leaving a child on their own, but it is an offence to leave a child alone if it places them at risk. Parents can be prosecuted if they leave a child unsupervised ‘in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health'"

be interested in others' views

interesting question, my boy is 7 and would love to do this but the nervous mother in me wouldn't let him,perhaps at 9 i would seriously consider it. I do however have a friend who's 8 year old goes on public bus alone to school. I personally wouldn't how does she know he's got safely to school, to grannys is different as i'm sure she could meet your daughter off the bus. Very personal choice.

As for the bus companys i haven't any idea, only they would probably say they would in no way be liable if anything were to happen.

Would she know exactly what to do if, during that short journey, someone asked her to get off with them at the next stop? ,maybe told her granny had said you need to get off earlier?

When you do allow the journey to happen do start by putting her on the bus- and making sure granny is waiting at the other end.

fabgirl I cannot believe the OP waited nearly 5 hours for a reply and then we both posted at exact same minute ........

Hi my eldest 2 boys have only just started using the tram alone. they are 10 and 9, they go from Halfway to Hackenthorpe ( there dads house ) they know what to do and both have mobiles. i feel it gives them a sense of responsability and im proud they do so well and never had a problem,

Every child is differant and its up to you as a mum to make that decision, i think 2 stops is fine and like you say, she knows what to do/where to get off etc,,

the first time you let her your heart will be in your mouth but after that youll both be fine

good luck

well my little girl is 8, 9 this year and very sensible, i would not allow it myself, more so due to my own worries instead of not trusting her, i have let her pop to the shop on the corner a few times and i hate every second of it, and just recently have started stopping it and wondering what the hell i was thinking allowing it in the first place. It not her i dont trust its other people i dont trust.

as someone said the only way i would allow the bus thing is if you put her on it and her nan waited and took her off, other that that no way

I thought children had to have a 'minder' under the age of 16 to fly? As for allowing a child of seven to travel alone on the bus.................not sure about that one!