View Full Version : Windows Defender Beta2 error..

hade
13-03-2006, 10:31
Anyone tried win dows defender?

I'm getting an error (an unexpected problem) when trying to scan. It gets as far as "HKLM/software/ORL" then the error happens..

What/where is HKLM/software/ORL?

I'm also getting winfixer and ad popups - maybe something to do with it but surely windows defender should sort it? Unless MS are totally unable to fix their own products?!

Crappy P4, win2k3 server...

Ann*
13-03-2006, 11:28
I had a minor problem with Windows Defender yesterday, when I found that at 7.30 a.m. a scan that had started at 2 a.m. was still running, which consequently slowed down my antivirus scan. I just stopped the WD scan, let the antivirus finish, rebooted and ran the WD scan again, which seemed to be running normally. However, it did find a load of crap on my pc that has been there for the past six months because I copied some of my old documents from a disk after my pc crashed. All I could think of was that WD must have updated before the scan, but the pc really needed rebooting before scanning.

System requirements for Windows Defender...

Windows Defender (Beta 2): System requirements
Published: February 13, 2006
Minimum system requirements for Windows Defender (Beta 2):

Personal computer with an Intel Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) or higher processor; Pentium III recommended.

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or later, or Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later.

64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (minimum); 128 MB RAM (recommended).

20 MB of available hard disk space.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.

Internet access with at least a 28.8 Kbps connection.

If you're running Windows 2000, you might need to upgrade your GDI+ version. For more information, see this Microsoft Help and Support page for more information.

Does that help?

Nazo
13-03-2006, 11:47
HKLM / software is part of the windows registry so possibly the error could be related to a problem with your registry.
I think ORL is related to winvnc, a program used to remotely take over a PC (often used for remote support etc.) Do you have anything like this on your PC?

hade
13-03-2006, 12:34
HKLM / software is part of the windows registry so possibly the error could be related to a problem with your registry.
I think ORL is related to winvnc, a program used to remotely take over a PC (often used for remote support etc.) Do you have anything like this on your PC?
I've ultra VNC on all my servers, which always gets picked up by MS antispyware, but I ignore it.

alankearn
13-03-2006, 13:53
I had a minor problem with Windows Defender yesterday, when I found that at 7.30 a.m. a scan that had started at 2 a.m. was still running, which consequently slowed down my antivirus scan. I just stopped the WD scan, let the antivirus finish, rebooted and ran the WD scan again, which seemed to be running normally. However, it did find a load of crap on my pc that has been there for the past six months because I copied some of my old documents from a disk after my pc crashed. All I could think of was that WD must have updated before the scan, but the pc really needed rebooting before scanning.

System requirements for Windows Defender...

Does that help?
Ann_x
unless you leave your computer on all night I dont think it could start at 2am
I think it would start at the time of first boot up of the day .If you left your computer on all night then it would run at 2am. I have mine set to 8am and it scans and you dont know it is running and as you will have notice it verifies that it has scanned at the bottom of the Windows Defender scan page

Ann*
13-03-2006, 16:23
Ann_x
unless you leave your computer on all night I dont think it could start at 2am
I think it would start at the time of first boot up of the day .If you left your computer on all night then it would run at 2am. I have mine set to 8am and it scans and you dont know it is running and as you will have notice it verifies that it has scanned at the bottom of the Windows Defender scan page
I do leave it on all night, so that all scans are done while I'm not usually using the pc, so yes it does start its scans at the times mentioned above.:P

hade, M$ Antispyware Beta 1 has been upgraded to Windows Defender Beta 2, but I had to go to the website and do the upgrade manually a couple of weeks' ago. Just download and install, and it overwrites the previous version.

BH_80
13-03-2006, 19:10
Windows Defender is still a Beta (2) release therefore there will be problems with it. Im not a registry expert and i personally dont know what that means, iv never come accross it myself (i use it).

Whilst here though, i would like to point out the following programs and utilities that are great to use for protection on ur PC. And what's even best is that they are free!

Go get urself the following;
Spybot Seatch & Destroy 1.4:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/Spybot_Search_and_Destroy/1043809773/1

Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06:
http://dw.com.com/redir?pid=10399602&merid=69274&mfgid=69274&ltype=dl_dlnow&lop=link&edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3040-8022_4-10399602&ontId=8022_4&dlrs=1&destUrl=http://www.download.com%2F3001-8022_4-10399602.html

CCleaner 1.27:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

JAVA's SpywareBlaster 3.5.1:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

This next program, either are excellent, top of their legue, free virus scanners, personally, im using Antivir PE Classic: http://www.filehippo.com/download_antivir/
OR
Grisoft AVG Anti-virus: http://www.download-it-free.com/avg/
BOTH ARE JUST AS GOOD AS
EACH OTHER, ITS PERSONAL
PREF. REALLY.
Make sure u confugre the options, use 'heuristic scanning' -higher detection rate.

Lastly, get Windows Defender Beta 2 if u like. Microsofts website. Beware though, no point in DL'ing it if u are running a pirated version of Windows(!).

Each of these programs are FREE. I use this armarda on my computer and the combination is just as good as Nortons privacy suite '06.

The Spybot S&D has additional programs within it that will monitor changes to ur system registry, so if your surfing the net and a piece of spyware finds you(!), the neet lil program (TeaTimer) will pop-up on your screen asking you whether the registrys modification the spyware just made was under the supervision of you. And seeing as it is spyware, you obviously didnt do it, so u are given the option to wipe it! Its an intense utility, bee careful how u use its additional tools.

JAVA's SpyWB, will block tracking cookies and all the crap from COMING to ur computer in the first place, its a sort of shield. Think of it like that.

The rest are easy to understand but the one i want to point out to u is the CCleaner. This is by far an excellent utility, it will remove all of your traces on the net! It will get rid of all the crap in ur temp files (when i first used it after unclicking the '48hr' option in the advanced options menu -u will understand this when u get it, i removed over 3GB of crap! It speeds up ur computer considerably by ridding all the, well, crap! lol. It also has the option of deep scanning your systems registry for all the crap still lefty lying there too. Most ppl are unaware but the windows registry is the very thing that underpins your operating system's (OS') efficient functioning. When u uninstall a program, it is still there in the registry! This program will purge all that crap in there and consequently, speed up ur system. All these programs are recommended by even the best of IT experts. So if ur looking for a range of FREE programs of excellent quality, go for these. After installation of them, make sure you check for all the updates, and update accordingly.

The Ad-Aware SE Personal, just leave that as a scanner, dnt turn on the real-time system guard, as Spybot is just as good and in doing so, u'll waste system recource.

Any Q's, just pop em here OR PM me, either will do. But these progs are great!

:thumbsup:

Ann*
13-03-2006, 20:07
BH_80, see my post in the thread you've started.

Welcome to SF btw.

Savannah2
14-03-2006, 06:03
I'm also getting winfixer and ad popups

Winfixer (www.spywaredb.com/remove-winfixer/) is software from the gutter....i doubt very much Windows defender will be able to remove all traces of it

I would recommend removal of this garbage asap