Cremated ashes + placing them in a grave yard?

Hi all, Recently my nan passed away:( we had her cremated at grenoside but her parents are buried at city road cemetary... we are basically wanting to know if theres any laws or can's and can'ts you can do with the ashes... we have wanting to shallow bury then under the soil of my great grandparents grave and then have a plaque/gravestone as one has never been bought for that grave.. if anyone knows anything please let me know:) xx

Officially and legally I beleive you are supposed to ask permission from the council and pay a fee.

Unofficially I would say, be subtle, do it off peak and just sneak in and do it.

We did with some my father's ashes on his parents grave.

Hi, I'm a funeral director and can give you some advice...best thing to do is to contact city road crematorium office on 2396068 explain what you want to do and they will arrange for your ashes to be scattered or intered ! It's best to do it legally ! Theirs a chargevof I think £42 to do it, but at lest you know it's all in order. And then you can organise a plaque with them ! If you do it underhandedly and they findvout you won't get your plaque put up unlessvyou pay the scattering fee ! so like I said your better off contacting them...cheers

My mum recently enquired about how to get my dad's ashes put into an existing family grave. I can't remember specific costs or details, but it was something like £45 to have the ashes interred, and £120 if you wanted to be there when it was done!! I presume if you pay the lesser fee, they just do it when they have some 'spare time'. If they have to arrange a specific time when it is convenient to you it must cost them more for some reason.

Personally, I can't understand anyone NOT wanting to be there, not only out of respect, but also to check that they've actually done it!!

Hi, I'm a funeral director and can give you some advice...best thing to do is to contact city road crematorium office on 2396068 explain what you want to do and they will arrange for your ashes to be scattered or intered ! It's best to do it legally ! Theirs a chargevof I think £42 to do it, but at lest you know it's all in order. And then you can organise a plaque with them ! If you do it underhandedly and they findvout you won't get your plaque put up unlessvyou pay the scattering fee ! so like I said your better off contacting them...cheers

My mum recently enquired about how to get my dad's ashes put into an existing family grave. I can't remember specific costs or details, but it was something like £45 to have the ashes interred, and £120 if you wanted to be there when it was done!! I presume if you pay the lesser fee, they just do it when they have some 'spare time'. If they have to arrange a specific time when it is convenient to you it must cost them more for some reason.

Personally, I can't understand anyone NOT wanting to be there, not only out of respect, but also to check that they've actually done it!!

My bolds.

So some clowns are getting rich on the back of the bereaved effectively emptying an ashtray on a grave. How can ashes placed in a shallow grave incur costs to the council? :( One reason why I want my corpse disposing of in the cheapest way possible ...... landfill!!

Well, until my mum decides what to do, my dad is quietly sitting in his 'ashtray' on the dressing table! The ashes are quite heavy actually, and there are far more than you might imagine (I'm not justifying the interment charges by the way)

We might just do what we did with my uncle ... scatter his ashes up on Burbage Moor, and then nip down the hill to the Scotsmans Pack for lunch.

I think u also need the permission of the grave owner

We had My mums ashes intered at Ecclesfield via the funeral directors who sorted it out . It cost my Dad £300 to have the ashes intered and we were told we would recieve some deed plot papers or something, but never recieved any. We werent told about ordering plaques through them.

I wish Id never had her ashes buried there, we never recieved any papers with plot number on we just jotted the number down that the man from the council or somewhere gave to us on that day.

we had my mums ashes scattered after the cremation on the plot where her mother is buried, and are in the process (its nearly 4 years since she died) of getting a small memorial plaque placed - its about £150 including placing it.

when we were arranging mums funeral, the fd asked us what we wanted to do with the ashes - having them interred was an option but she had stated in her will she wanted them scattering on her mothers plot in shiregreen.

I had my dads,mums,n nanas ashes all interred in wisewood with a proper gravestone because thats what they wanted,dad died first but i cant remember how much it cost to put others in as we had the headstone engraved as well with mums name on

My bolds.

So some clowns are getting rich on the back of the bereaved effectively emptying an ashtray on a grave. How can ashes placed in a shallow grave incur costs to the council? :( One reason why I want my corpse disposing of in the cheapest way possible ...... landfill!!

Thats cheap, I think I was quoted about £200 if you want to renew a plaque after 25 years and that was about 6 years ago. Take a look at the prices on here. https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/caresupport/bereavement/cremation/feescharges.html

The price has come down but so has the lease time, it is now only 15 years.

Edited by iansheff

If you are wanting them scattered, they will normally remove a layer of turf before scattering them underneath and then relaying it which is why it costs.

Interring ashes in an urn is essentially a small burial with the associated paperwork hence the higher cost.

Either option will incur a charge but I would strongly advise against trying to 'DIY' as you could get yourself in some trouble for 'interfering' with the existing burial.

Memorial placement is an extra issue and seems to be very expensive for anything you intend to be long term - I've been looking into the options for a family member of my own :(