View Full Version : Health & Safety gone mad

dynamicdebz
04-03-2006, 23:01
I work in a hospital so am quite concious regarding health & safety.
But can you believe it my 7 year old daughter has broken her ankle & got a cast on up to her knee. Its a straight forward break & should take 3 - 4 weeks to heal.
The hospital dr says she's ok for school even after i mentioned we have a large hill to walk up.
She has what is known as a walking pot on a walks slower than normal with a slight limp.
Guess what her school won't allow her to attend for the duration of the time that she has the cast on for health & safety reasons. If there was a fire she wouldn't get out & the best one is she might stumble on another child causing them an injury. Don't kids do that on a daily basis?
They will send work home for her daily & she will still get her mark!
But i am a working mum, can't get sick pay as i'm not sick, so i get no pay but still have all the usual things to pay.
Don't get me wrong I don't consider school to be a glorified babysitter but doesn't the government insist once a child starts school, these single mums should go to work, how can they when there are rules like this about?
I have asked if i can get some kind of help from social services, tax credits & educational welfare but apparently not.
I can't help thinking I should go on benefits & get everything entitled to but because I have always worked for a living its tough.
So because of health & safety gone mad I can't afford to pay my rent which means the right to buy i have just put in for is up in smoke.
Anyone else had simialr problems, advice greatly accepted.

Twiglet
04-03-2006, 23:34
How ridiculous. Ask the hospital to provide her with a wheelchair. The school cannot refuse to allow children who use a wheelchair in as it would be against the disability discrimination act. Albeit she may only have a temporary 'disability', but the same rules should apply. The world is going H&S mad, when I was at school there were people with casts/crutches/wheelchairs all the time.

shefweb
04-03-2006, 23:56
Sorry Twiglet the DDA doesn't apply here (section 1, disability is defined as something that "has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on [the person's] ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities", but it certainly sounds like the school is being ridiculous. dynamicdebz, phone up the council and speak to someone in the education department, hopefully they can sort the school out and let your daughter attend. If not, phone the Star - they love this sort of stuff.

EdnaKrabappe
05-03-2006, 00:06
Make sure you speak to the right person.
I work in teaching. The law is in the process of changing in this manner this month and I know has very serious implications but I don't understand it all yet. Just know we are getting some more training regarding it on Monday.

Sorry training was nothing to do with this.

mega_monty
05-03-2006, 00:33
Don't get me wrong I don't consider school to be a glorified babysitter but doesn't the government insist once a child starts school, these single mums should go to work, how can they when there are rules like this about?

How about contacting your local MP about this matter

Jimbob1989
05-03-2006, 01:19
How about contacting your local MP about this matter

Would possibly be too late by the time anything was done :|

rothschild
05-03-2006, 02:11
This just beggers belief! Had you turned round and told the school that you considered your child to be "unfit" for school because of this injury.......there would no doubt have been a huge uproar! Maybe it's because I am getting old, but so many things that happen these days just don't seem to make sense to me! If I catch the common cold I just carry on......equipped with a box of tissue's.......but then I am told NOT to come to work! WHY for goodness sakes? I might feel a bit rubbishy but I can still do my job. It is only a cold after all. BUT......if I was to ring in and say I am not coming in because I have a cold I would be in trouble and accused of having time off for a minor thing!
I think we live in a "no win" world just now. We have become so politically correct that we are in danger of dis-appearing up our own back ends! The clear black lines have become fuzzy grey ones and nobody is prepared to stand up and be counted any longer. We live in a "nanny state" which is dictated to us by people that don't live on the same planet as the majority of us.
Surely for goodness sakes the school is......or should be equipped to make adjustments to your childs needs? If they are unable to teach a pupil with a broken bone then in my opinion they are unfit to teach! Your child has a temporary problem which could.....and SHOULD be dealt with in the proper manner. For instance, if she needed a bit more time to move from one area to another then allowances CAN be made. It isn't as if she is totally dependant on others in order for her to pursue her normal school day. As for health and safety......well that is just a pathetic excuse! If there was a fire then the school is "charged" with the responsability of getting everybody out! It isn't up to the pupils to get themselves out is it!! Procedures should be in place to deal with such an event.......and given that they would be aware of your daughter's temporary disability then they should have put in place the correct procedures. In my mind excluding her is not an option!!! They have been made aware of her condition and they should do everything in their power to make sure that she can continue with her education.
I haven't looked at the legal stuff here but I think it smacks of discrimination! I would get in touch with the education department and quote words like discrimination.......exclusion.........depriving my child of an education etc etc. It just isn't good enough and it is also causing you huge problems. It isn't fair at all.
Don't give up Debz......make your voice heard. Tell the education people what you have told us. I just shudder to think that all your plans and hopes for your future could go down the pan because of something like this. It is WRONG! Good luck girl and please let us know how you go on.
Big hugs from me. xx

scoop
05-03-2006, 02:20

Or maybe it wouldn't.
I made an enquiry by email to my MP about something recently (Megg Munn). The following afternoon she had phoned the relative authorities and sorted the situation out.

daverity
05-03-2006, 10:43
You can just imagine the situation if you wanted to take your child out of school for a holiday for instance and the barrage of questions you would face for it.
You may not want the publicity but I would seriously consider getting in touch with the press or television on this matter. The school or Education Department deserve to be seriously embarrassed with this one and it may pave the way for future instances. They have a duty to educate your child, just as you have a duty to send the child to school and allow it to be educated.

Best of luck:thumbsup:

Greybeard
05-03-2006, 10:52
Sounds to me as if the school don't trust their own evacuation procedure.

Surely the children are taught to walk under supervision to the nearest exit. There shold be no question of tramplling another pupil or of a child with a walking pot being unable to keep up with the rest of the class

I wouldn't have thought that after a week of wearing it a walking pot would interfere with progress at normal walking pace.

melthebell
05-03-2006, 11:12
she could be stuck under somebodys arm and carried out??
errrrrrrm

i think its just an excuse...............and one of the worst ive ever heard

Jimbob1989
05-03-2006, 11:15
Phone the press :D you know you want to, they will probably write an article for you too :)

GabbleRatcht
05-03-2006, 11:19

How about 'Look North' or Calander then? :hihi:

steelerblade
05-03-2006, 12:20
I agree this ruling is absolutely ridiculous,but don't forget where all this Health and Safety rubbish comes from. It all stems from the 'compensation culture' that is prevalent today.

Twiglet
05-03-2006, 12:57
Sorry Twiglet the DDA doesn't apply here (section 1, disability is defined as something that "has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on [the person's] ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities", but it certainly sounds like the school is being ridiculous. dynamicdebz, phone up the council and speak to someone in the education department, hopefully they can sort the school out and let your daughter attend. If not, phone the Star - they love this sort of stuff.

Sorry should have made myself clearer. I know the DDA doesn't apply, but if dynamicdebz put her daughter in a wheelchair, she would be able to make the parallel that if they had to allow other wheelchair users to attend school, then her daughter should also be allowed to go.

shefweb
05-03-2006, 13:19
Sorry should have made myself clearer. I know the DDA doesn't apply, but if dynamicdebz put her daughter in a wheelchair, she would be able to make the parallel that if they had to allow other wheelchair users to attend school, then her daughter should also be allowed to go.
True, that might well work since the DDA (technically SENDA, I think, since its a child in school that we're concerned with here) would apply to other children.

Still think calling the council & then the press is a good approch likely to work - Look North or Calender (as someone said above) might even be interested if they have a slot to fill.

irenewilde
05-03-2006, 13:58
Never heard of that one before. I work in a school and we've had a couple of children in with pots on in the time I've been there - one was just a few months ago.

lint
05-03-2006, 16:54
Never heard of that one before. I work in a school and we've had a couple of children in with pots on in the time I've been there - one was just a few months ago.my son had a walking pot on and he was allowed to go to school,we asked if he could leave a couple of mins before lunch to go straight to dining room ,so as not to be pushed etc and was allowed and he also left 5 mins earlier at home time so he was out before others,seems that it is just certain schools that have a problem

nuf_said
05-03-2006, 20:02
Any chance you'd like to mention the school involved?

dynamicdebz
05-03-2006, 21:27
T o answer a few questions the school in question is Monteney school.
I have been in touch with several departments in the education department including a legal depart mant, its apparently out of there hands. It is up to individual schools, basically the head teacher.
I contacted the social services, no luck there.
Contacted the educational welfare officer (wag teacher) she's contacted school but its up to them.
There are legal steps I could take but as already mentioned by the time the process went through she'd be back at school.
Her class room is upstairs but she walks fine with the cast on, still plays with her friends, still goes up & down the stairs (the school does have a stair lift for wheel chair users though).
I asked at the hospital about a wheel chair but they don't give them out & in all honesty she doesn't need one. She is too young for crutches.
But I can't stress enough she is not disabled in any way from the cast apart from if she's been walking on it for a while her leg gets achy.
Thanks for all the moral support, if I get in touch with the star I will show them your comments
Watch this space!

Mathom
05-03-2006, 21:48
It sounds to me that the school might be afraid of any further injury happening to her - which from many parents might mean costly legal action. If you think about it, she could fall down the stairs, be kicked by another child, have additional stress on the fracture - any number of things could happen that might be scaring the school. It's just a sign of the times.

Can you work from home? It sounds like an ideal reason for asking to do so. If not, have you asked social services about support?

Strix
06-03-2006, 00:41
Perhaps you could send them a letter explaining that you will be invoicing them for the childcare bill you will have to foot whilst they are excluding her from school at their own discretion?

Of course the argument about being trampled in the rush to get out in the event of the fire is absolutely ludicrous.

Just imagine... Ever Monday morning they line up every child in the class in height order, weigh them, and send the smallest home for being a hazzard in the event of a fire. What planet are these people on? :loopy:

Bizzy_Lizzy
06-03-2006, 08:33
Tell the school you are going to take her on holiday until it heals, they will soon change their mind :hihi:

Tintsexpert
06-03-2006, 10:43
Get intouch with some of the parent governors, get them on your side, then get a meeting with the chair of governors & tell them how rediculous the situation is, then inform the media. All schools have a duty of care, but this is bordering on the stupid.

breeza
06-03-2006, 10:50
the compensation culture in this country is ridiculous.

A complete shambles - with no hint of changing either, only getting worse.

dynamicdebz
06-03-2006, 12:31
As I said watch this space.
I phoned Sheffield Star this morning & they are very interested.
Photographer came at 11am & took some photo's of my daughter.
They hope it will be in the Star the next few days but depends what other stuff they have to put in.
See where it get us.

nuf_said
06-03-2006, 12:58
So having a pot on your leg means you are a hazard.

So if I wore a leg caliper I'd never have been able to go to school, or the cinema, or the pub etc.

Madness.

dynamicdebz
06-03-2006, 21:33
Look North has contacted me, supposed to be coming tomorrow to interview me & my daughter.
But guess what the head teacher has now phoned & offered my daughter to now go to school, got a meeting with her tomorrow. She was very anxious about the media frenzy (her words).

rothschild
06-03-2006, 21:48
Well done Debz.........it is amazing what a bit of publicity can do isn't it? I bet the head teacher is anxious..........so she should be as well!!

MysTique
06-03-2006, 21:49
She was very anxious about the media frenzy (her words).
It shouldn't have to take the threat of media intervention for her to see common sense should it?
I hope you get things sorted for your daughter - Good Luck. :)

daverity
06-03-2006, 21:51
Would appear that common sense has prevailed......pity you had to resort to the threat of the press though for her to remove her head from up her arse! Well done:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

shefweb
06-03-2006, 21:54
Congratulations and good luck :)

Tintsexpert
07-03-2006, 13:02
If I were you, get a parent governor in the meeting with you, as well as the chair of governors, this type of thing should not be allowed to happen.

Cyclone
07-03-2006, 13:06
You could carry on with the media angle anyway, make the head teacher feel pretty stupid and the lesson might stay with them (and any other head teachers who start thinking along the same lines).

dynamicdebz
07-03-2006, 21:11
Well my daughter will be back to school tomorrow in a class down stairs (year below hers). Head teacher has said anytime she gets tired she can rest & are willing to do their best to accomodate her now.
Amazing isn't it, what you have to resort to.
I cancelled the Look North interview but it will still appear in the Star in the next few days.
So thanks everyone for all your advice & support keep up the good work.

shefweb
07-03-2006, 21:19
Fantastic news. Very happy for you and your daughter.

lint
08-03-2006, 11:48
great news glad common sense prevailed

nuf_said
11-03-2006, 15:56
Yep - front page of the Star tonight (Saturday).

cgksheff
11-03-2006, 16:12
Yep - front page of the Star tonight (Saturday).

http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=58&ArticleID=1383025

samsmum
11-03-2006, 17:41
nice one....good for you deborah!

whats all the 'we have yet to receive a response' about?

dynamicdebz
12-03-2006, 14:58
The bit about "we have yet to recieve a response is all a load of BULL".
She really contradicts herself in the comments.
The only time she contacted me was last Monday evening after the Star asked her to comment. The Education & any other authority offered nothing.
She asked me to come to see her the following day (Tuesday), when an offer of her to come into school was made, to start on Wednesday.
She was very anxious about the possible media frenzy (her words).
When I told her Look North was coming to see me, she couldn't do enough.
However I would like to point out in the meeting I had with the head, she stated she would go with her own class when they were doing lessons downstairs like IT, this has never happened.
All the worries the head had yet they allow my daughter to go to the toilet on her own, walk the corriders on her own going to lunch etc. They don't give her a minute or 2 for the rush to pass, not that I think she needs it but it just goes to show, what was all the fuss about?
She is treat the same as the other kids except she is in a different class (downstairs), doesn't do PE & doesn't have to go out at playtime if she doesn't want to.

rrwholloway
12-03-2006, 18:09
good to see the press are useful for these kind of things, but it's such a pity that it had to come to that.

Grandad.Malky
12-03-2006, 18:56
When my son was in a similar position some years ago he was allowed to get to school a few minutes late and leave a few minutes early he was also told to choose one of his mates as a mentor for when he was in school.

To use a well-worn expression “ Not exactly rocket science is it” :loopy:

samsmum
12-03-2006, 22:17
good onya deb!
i might get in touch with the star and look north to see if it will push sheffield homes/lovells into finishing the crap work they have done on my council house!!

dynamicdebz
13-03-2006, 20:39
Just when I thought it was all over, The Daily Express is putting something in their paper & the Star wants to do a follow up.
And to top it all I picked up my daughter from school today & she's not feeling well & has a raging temperature.
So looks like I'm off work again.
The slightly funny thing is she has been telling teachers etc all day & for some reason they seemed reluctant to contact me, can't think why?
Bless her!

Archadvocate
13-03-2006, 22:25
Its got nothing to do with "compensation culture". It doesn't exist. Claims for personal injury are down year on year and even the government has been forced to admit there is no compensation culture. Its an invention of the right wing press and the insurance industry, who for some reason everyone thinks acts in the best interests of consumers.

That school stopped the girl from attending because it was too much hassle for the staff to stop for a moment and consider the risks which were present and address how to deal with them.

In other words, idleness.

Indeed, most of the claims which result from situations about which the right wing press get so hot under the collar stem entirely from situations avoidable with just a little forethought or a little less greed.

dynamicdebz
14-03-2006, 20:51
She was in The Sun today & a follow up in the Sheffield Star.Can't believe all the media attention.
Our local shop keeper called her a superstar & told her to pick a free bar of chocolate.

dynamicdebz
12-05-2006, 21:53
Just had to revive this thread.
Bought my daughter a pair of those slip on shoes that everyone is wearing, bought them for her because her feet are sore after wearing trainers with no socks.
Kids have been wearing these type of shoes for years at the school, yet this week the school has said they are banned for health & safety reasons. The deputy head then went into classrooms to remind the kids & pointed out to my daughter " she should no better as she has had a broken ankle recently".
I still sent her today in them (her feet still a little sore) & her teacher started telling her she shouldn't be wearing them in front of me.
I pointed out to her that she is 7 years old so I make the decision what she should wear not her. I then spoke to the deputy head who said they are dangerous because other kids could step on the back of them causing them to fall, yet the teachers are still wearing them.
I pointed out they were being ridiculous, I also mentioned that my daughter had bare feet when she broke her leg & also broke her arm a couple of years ago because of her laces being undone.
Is it just me or have they gone mad?