Technical Question. (.MEM Files)

Any Techies on here know how to open .MEM files. Have downloaded a file from Sony to upgrade our DVD recorder, but it requires opening, burning to disc then putting into the DVD, but it's come as a .MEM file, and my windows 7 will not open it. I have trawled through GOOGLE looking for answers, but have drawn a blank. Any fix's I have tried just do not work.

Angel.

Are you sure you it needs opening and not just dropping onto a data dvd for the player to open?

isn't .mem a foxpro file type?

Are you sure you it needs opening and not just dropping onto a data dvd for the player to open?

Aye tried that, it takes it in, loads, then kicks it straight out again. I assume the file requires opening, then burning, then inserting into DVD.

Thanks any how.

Angel.

isn't .mem a foxpro file type?

Aye, I believe it is. Tried downloading a foxpro file to read the .MEM file, that did not work either. What a blooming pest it's turning out to be.

Angel.

I assume it's a firmware update?

If so, it needs burning as a mem file, not opening at all.

In other words burn the file to disk then put it in the player.

Aye, on the money, that's the right name for it, a firmware update. Since we went fully digital the Sony DVD loses all its channels every time it's turned off, and if you set it to record and put it in standby it drops all the channels. If you try to be a bit smart and leave it on, of course it records the first set prog, but when it shuts down waiting for the second one to start, the channels are all lost again.

The simple act of burning the firmware and loading it into the DVD rectifies the DVD. Well I say simple, it's turning out to be a bloody mare.

Never burned owt before, maybe I'm doing that bit wrong?.

Regards

Angel.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

Ok, instruction for cdburnerxp, a simple and free burner.

Insert Blank disk.

Download and install it.

Run it.

On the screen that comes up, select "data disk" and click ok.

Find the file you want to burn (the mem file) and drag it to where it says to drag it to.

Click burn.

Click "Finalise Disk" in the box that pops up.

You have to click ok or burn again, don't have any blank disks here so I can't see the final screen.

When burnt, put the disk in your dvd player - you may need to turn it off then on with the disk already in, you might just have to put the disk in.

Note that updating firmware can be slightly risky, if something goes wrong while it is updating it could render it unusable (though often there is protection against it now).

Ta very much, will give it a go.

Angel.