How does a lady shake a gentlemans hand ?

What is the social etiquette of a lady shaking a gentlemans hand? If a casual "hi" or a hug is not appropriate when meeting a gentleman how should she hold his hand? Is it firm like a male or gentle and girlie like? I believe men read other men by their handshake so is that the same for women too? :help:

With her hand ? :confused:

Ha ! You don't know what the etiquette is ! Just admit it , go on say it then I'll feel better :hihi:

Ha ! You don't know what the etiquette is ! Just admit it , go on say it then I'll feel better :hihi:

Lol !

And I think it's the same as men shaking hands with men; the only difference I'd say is that women's handshake would generally be 'softer' and probably more 'limp' :D

Lol !

And I think it's the same as men shaking hands with men; the only difference I'd say is that women's handshake would generally be 'softer' and probably more 'limp' :D

So if I am correct in thinking when a man shakes another mans hand and he puts his other hand on top , it is to show he feels more powerful in position , then if a lady does it to a man does it mean she is the boss ? ;)

I think people read to much into non entities like hand shakes. I've shaken hands with some real limp wristers who've proved to be mean negotiators and felt a Mike Tyson grip but people who were wimps.

Ladies should just shake hands as they see fit, whilst not moving away a stray hair from their face in case it's taken as a sign of flirting.

The thing which always baffles me when people meet is, why do men shake mens' hands and yet hug/kiss women.

Not that I expect it the other way round but, in these times of equality why isn't just a handshake between either sex more acceptable?

What is the social etiquette of a lady shaking a gentlemans hand? If a casual "hi" or a hug is not appropriate when meeting a gentleman how should she hold his hand? Is it firm like a male or gentle and girlie like? I believe men read other men by their handshake so is that the same for women too? :help:

I only judge a woman by the way she kisses and I am sure other men do too. So, uou have no worries about being judged on a mere handshake. Just a light grip would suffice.

Correctly speaking, it shouldn't be a shake, it should be a very gentle squeeze. But I agree with willman above.

Ahh now that's what I tend to do because I do not need to do it often but I wondered what impression I am giving to men who are accustomed to it daily . If I was a business woman would my handshake need to be firmer? I'm not losing sleep over this but it does intrigue me .....

I only judge a woman by the way she kisses and I am sure other men do too. So, uou have no worries about being judged on a mere handshake. Just a light grip will suffice.

Now that I have mastered :cool:

Just like anyone should shake anyone's hand, firm and with a smile, definitely not overpowering, clammy, cold, or limp.

I've shaken hands with one lady who managed to make her hand feel exactly like a dead fish. This was at an interview and although she was offered the job, everyone at the panel commented on her handshake as an off putting factor.

Handshakes are important, and no different at all for men and women. Some men will try to crush your hand like a bug. I broke a metacarpal in my right hand recently enough to not like this approach much.