View Full Version : Xmas Cards to the neighbours

The Oil Man
15-12-2011, 16:16
Is it me being miserable/stingy or is it silly sending Xmas cards to all the neighbours? the very people who you see every day. Oh, before I go, merry Xmas to all my neighbours. :)

kaleidoscope
15-12-2011, 19:51
I stopped sending Christmas cards to all except my immediate family two years ago. Instead I make a donation to a different charity each year.

TaxiBaz
15-12-2011, 19:57
Yes your being stingy. The price of a pack of xmas cards in Wilko's is pennies.
Wait till January, buy them with 75% off, and give them away next year.

Respect for my neighbours :) Happy xmas peeps :hihi:

Rich
15-12-2011, 20:41
I've had cards already from most of my Neighbours, but have only wrote cards out to my carers and work colleagues, and of course immediate family members.

Tradescanthia
15-12-2011, 20:46
Nowt wrong with cards, but I find it a bind returning them.

mafya
15-12-2011, 20:46
We always receive cards from most of the neighbours every year and give them out ourselves as well.
I think it is good to be friendly with your neighbours wherever you live.
Get some cards sent you scrooge! :hihi:

HeadingNorth
15-12-2011, 20:50
If the reason you're not sending them is because of the cost of the cards, I'd say that was very stingy - a cheap pack of cards can be had for a lot less than a pound.

I wouldn't, though, say there was any moral or social obligation to send cards to all your neighbours. It's entirely up to you who you do or do not send cards to; some people send no cards at all and donate the entire amount they would have spent on them, to charity.

shanes teeth
15-12-2011, 20:57
I send them to all our neighbours and they all return the gesture.All,that is,except a lad called Richard who lives up the road.It's the last time I send one to him!

HeadingNorth
15-12-2011, 21:17
I send them to all our neighbours and they all return the gesture.All,that is,except a lad called Richard who lives up the road.It's the last time I send one to him!

So you don't send them out of goodwill but only because you expect to get one back.

the_rudeboy
15-12-2011, 21:24
We send cards to the immediate neighbours either side and to one of the neighbours opposite. We usually get the old fella next door a tin of biscuits as he doesn't appear to have any family.

Bloomdido
15-12-2011, 21:27
I almost caught a neighbour posting a card at mine as I came back from the shops. Could have been so embarrasing. One neighbout has sent me a card on three consecutive years and I have never replied. I just don't do christmas. Trouble is, I hit my thumb with a hammer a couple of months ago in the garage and swore at the top of my voice. Who did I then see walking past? Nice neighbour. Now I feel I have to do something.

shanes teeth
15-12-2011, 21:37
So you don't send them out of goodwill but only because you expect to get one back.

Of course.And I also hope to get more money in the ones I get back than I put in the ones I send out.

wednesday1
15-12-2011, 22:00
A card from Nick Clegg came the other day. How desperate is this man?!:hihi:

shanes teeth
15-12-2011, 22:03
A card from Nick Clegg came the other day. How desperate is this man?!:hihi:

He sent me one aswell.I thought he was my friend,not yours.What a tart!

wednesday1
15-12-2011, 22:10
He sent me one aswell.I thought he was my friend,not yours.What a tart!

I'm surprised the card didn't show the shameless muppet standing in front of one of the presses at Forgemasters!

cressida
15-12-2011, 22:49
The Card Factory sell a packet of 10 nice cards for 99p, my last lot were to help the MacMillan nurses

fruitisbad
15-12-2011, 22:56
my neighbors hate me. might send them some cards

Tradescanthia
15-12-2011, 23:11
I'm surprised the card didn't show the shameless muppet standing in front of one of the presses at Forgemasters!

I'd like to see said muppet IN one of the presses at Forgemasters. :hihi::hihi:

Cat86
16-12-2011, 22:59
I dont send them to all my neighbours, because a) I dont like them and b) I dont know them.
But next door, little old dear, I dont know her either particulary, but she comes round for some pears in the summer, so I send her a card with my phone number on it, in case of bad weather/she needs anything

anim al
17-12-2011, 11:32
on our little terraced street,the people move in and out all the time,lots of polish,druggies etc,,so dont know many of them,,there are still a few originals that pass the odd cards around,doesn't hurt to spread a little good will(as long as the mrs,buys ,writes and sends them,,lol)

max
17-12-2011, 12:10
If you're not going to give your neighbours cards and you receive one from them you could always deliver them back with "Not known at this address" or "Gone away" on them. They may, or may not, get the hint.

MC Spyda
17-12-2011, 12:42
I don't send cards to anyone, let alone the neighbours.

RainbowAngel
17-12-2011, 15:24
This year im not buyin a single card for anybody. Im going to use the money to buy food for the cat charity and put it in the tubs at morisons. It costs a fortune for cards that get thrown away so i think the same spent giving the kitty's full tummies is a much better use for the money :)

kblade
18-12-2011, 02:42
We've posted cards to the neighbours plus a new family that have just moved in. Hurts nowt :)

MC Spyda
18-12-2011, 08:52
I've just got a card from the neighbour. Went straight in the bin.

Murphy Jnr
18-12-2011, 09:17
I've just got a card from the neighbour. Went straight in the bin.

The blue one I hope :hihi:

I don't do cards either, never understood the point of them, much prefer talking to people.

Grandad.Malky
18-12-2011, 09:28
Is it me being miserable/stingy or is it silly sending Xmas cards to all the neighbours? the very people who you see every day. Oh, before I go, merry Xmas to all my neighbours. :)

Your problem is that you are being sensible and we all know that sentimentality takes over from sensibility at this time of the year.

MC Spyda
18-12-2011, 10:00
The blue one I hope :hihi:

I don't do cards either, never understood the point of them, much prefer talking to people.

Indeed. I may be grumpy, but I'm kind to the environment. :hihi:

Aye, I've never understood the whole point of cards either. There was a time when I used to keep them for a good while, then they would go in a cupboard draw for a few months, then eventually they would go in the bin.

Nowadays I just cut straight to the bin part.

Isabelle
18-12-2011, 10:45
Before I moved I used to send cards to my close neighbours, its a good way of getting to know them, if they send one back in return. Which my miserable next door neighbours did not do...

Murphy Jnr
18-12-2011, 11:10
Before I moved I used to send cards to my close neighbours, its a good way of getting to know them, if they send one back in return. Which my miserable next door neighbours did not do...

That's the bit I can't make sense of. If you can be bothered to buy it, write it out and post it, why not knock on the door and wish them a merry christmas with a drink, that's got got to be a nicer gesture.