View Full Version : Taxi drivers who cant have passed test

spartan
18-11-2011, 15:26
why is the council given taxi badges to people who do not know where they are going to do not know where points of interests are who do you blame the council for being greedy or taxi firms for being greedy.

Paddy
18-11-2011, 16:12
I'm not saying this is the case for the majority of Taxi drivers but I have to agree with you that some are really bad drivers. They just stop in the middle of the road to pick up people. My favourite is the ones that suddenly do a U turn in front of you without warning! I've nearly broadsided a few of them.

I have a theory that maybe for some Taxis there is one licence but several drivers if you get my drift.

Perhaps more enforcement of the taxi rules and regs are needed. After all when did you last see someone doing taxi licence checks?

PAKS4
18-11-2011, 16:22
I'm not saying this is the case for the majority of Taxi drivers but I have to agree with you that some are really bad drivers. They just stop in the middle of the road to pick up people. My favourite is the ones that suddenly do a U turn in front of you without warning! I've nearly broadsided a few of them.

I have a theory that maybe for some Taxis there is one licence but several drivers if you get my drift.

Perhaps more enforcement of the taxi rules and regs are needed. After all when did you last see someone doing taxi licence checks?

Last Saturday 12pm attercliffe, they(council) were driving around in a police T5 stopping and checking licences and vehicles.

Vrsaljko
18-11-2011, 16:37
Why do forums give access to people who can barely string a sentence together? ;)

spartan
18-11-2011, 16:39
one guy picked up at a local hotel and was asked to go to the dog track any way he got lost did not find it and took them back to hotel and still had cheek to charge them

s2 blade
18-11-2011, 16:41
Half don't talk english anyway so who cares how or where they drive!

bigsexydoug
18-11-2011, 17:03
most taxi drivers are ok if you guide them, but the ones that really annoy me are the ones near shoreham street who go in the far right lane as its the least busy then cut across lane on the roundabout , as obviously they are v.i.p's, and its not just a few that do this, its the majority i see that do this.

Ghostrider
18-11-2011, 17:04

Thats not a theory, thats a fact....

speedy69
18-11-2011, 17:19

Almost certainly mate, and you can usualy tell within 5 minutes of the fair!

Taximark
18-11-2011, 17:22
why is the council given taxi badges to people who do not know where they are going to do not know where points of interests are who do you blame the council for being greedy or taxi firms for being greedy.

Roughly get what you're saying but maybe if you speak how you write the driver couldn't understand you.

Taximark
18-11-2011, 17:28

Do you know how many checks there are in the industry? or was it an idle passing comment?

Don't get me wrong I'm in favour of all the idiots getting the boot because it annoys me but to state a broad sweeping statement like that it just ignorant.

Taxi licensing are out most weekends in co ordination with the police, VOSA, DWP and if that's not enough two mot's (sheffield) per year on top of plate and badge costs.

sheryl666
18-11-2011, 17:28
I thought they had to be tested in what was the 'knowledge' . If so why do so many use sat navs?

Have to say i must be one of the lucky ones as the taxi drivers i have had drive me have generally been good.

Taximark
18-11-2011, 17:41
I thought they had to be tested in what was the 'knowledge' . If so why do so many use sat navs?

Have to say i must be one of the lucky ones as the taxi drivers i have had drive me have generally been good.

I did my knowledge ten years ago, I know most places in Sheffield mostly in the north, but i might struggle around Killamarsh, Kiverton PK etc..,a sat nav will help me out won't it? They won't be no driver in Sheffield that knows EVERY SINGLE STREET it's just practically impossible, sat-navs are useful to find street No's on dark country roads (drives me mad) and if i get someone who wants to go to another city then they come in handy too.

Also most drivers have the sat navs on for speed cam alerts.

The amount of people that post stuff on here before thinking about it is unreal, i've said this before too, next week it will be the bin men followed by bus drivers :hihi:.... then back to Taxis again:love:

wornout53
18-11-2011, 17:44
Why do forums give access to people who can barely string a sentence together? ;)

Possibly because they have as much right to express an opinion as anyone else.

sumayyah
18-11-2011, 17:48

im quite glad many have sat navs because having to direct a driver who doesnt know the area when youve had a long journey already is stressful

rabitter
18-11-2011, 17:53
forum same as telly if you dont like turn it off

jgharston
18-11-2011, 19:25
why is the council given taxi badges to people who do not know where they are going to do not know where points of interests are who do you blame the council for being greedy or taxi firms for being greedy.They don't. Applicants for taxi driver licences in Sheffield have to complete a literacy, numeracy, geography, driving skills, criminal records and medical test. See here (http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/business-economy/licensing/general-licensing/taxi-licensing).

actionman
18-11-2011, 20:54
Do you know how many checks there are in the industry? or was it an idle passing comment?

Don't get me wrong I'm in favour of all the idiots getting the boot because it annoys me but to state a broad sweeping statement like that it just ignorant.

Taxi licensing are out most weekends in co ordination with the police, VOSA, DWP and if that's not enough two mot's (sheffield) per year on top of plate and badge costs.

totally agree mate, the amount of ignorant posts on here is unreal. nobody knows every single street in sheffield.

Becky B
18-11-2011, 21:06
totally agree mate, the amount of ignorant posts on here is unreal. nobody knows every single street in sheffield.

But not knowing a major road in Hillsborough? It's not new!

I didn't know taxi drivers here had a "knowledge", thought it was just London.

Taximark
18-11-2011, 21:17
But not knowing a major road in Hillsborough? It's not new!

I didn't know taxi drivers here had a "knowledge", thought it was just London.

Agreed but this drivers area he normally works in might be Halfway, Westfield thus might struggle around Hills, however if he worked around Hillsboro' and he didn't know where Bradfield Rd were then yeah I see your point :loopy:

1stclasscars
19-11-2011, 00:48
Advertising / self promotion.

*_ash_*
19-11-2011, 03:50

Probably because the entrance requirement to join the forum isn't to string an orderly, logical, and aesthetically consistent sentence together, but only to input two words that are visibly warped and practically unreadable.

That is neither here nor there though.

They actually make a good point.

Taximark, you did your test a couple of years after mine, but I reckon you perhaps had a similar test to me. It was very difficult (well, compared to what it must be now) - there is no way some of the new drivers would be able to pass what we did.

JOHN.P
19-11-2011, 05:02

I totally agree. The grammar and spelling on this forum leaves much to be desired !

Plain Talker
19-11-2011, 10:27
They don't. Applicants for taxi driver licences in Sheffield have to complete a literacy, numeracy, geography, driving skills, criminal records and medical test. See here (http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/business-economy/licensing/general-licensing/taxi-licensing).

;) ;) Oh, JGH, you've just spoiled their lovely rant by bringing the facts into the argument. For shame! ;) ;)

papabear
19-11-2011, 10:31
i have my driving test in a weeks time. i've been driving around with my L's on for a few months and i must say that 9 out of 10 times i've had to practice my emergency stop, its because a taxi driver has pulled out on me, flung open the door, cut me up, undertaken, not indicated and in one case, stopped and started reversing back towards me (without checking his mirrors) because he missed a turn (probably because he didnt know where he was going in the first place).
i'm 99% confident i'll pass first time, but 100% confident that most taxi drivers have not

BonAccord
19-11-2011, 11:10
i have my driving test in a weeks time. i've been driving around with my L's on for a few months and i must say that 9 out of 10 times i've had to practice my emergency stop, its because a taxi driver has pulled out on me, flung open the door, cut me up, undertaken, not indicated and in one case, stopped and started reversing back towards me (without checking his mirrors) because he missed a turn (probably because he didnt know where he was going in the first place).
i'm 99% confident i'll pass first time, but 100% confident that most taxi drivers have not

I think sometimes think learner drivers are part of why accidents happen:o

avblade09
19-11-2011, 11:10
I work at a venue in the town centre where a well known taxi company have an agreement in place where we pay a set amount to reception and get a taxi home. Not according to the driver last saturday. He denied my work has an account with them, denied I paid, and then told me to get out of his taxi because I didn't pay him on the spot as he requested.

Most don't no what a NO ENTRY sign means... nor a NO LEFT TURN sign. They have their own highway code.

The worst I have ever witnessed was again one I used using the venues account. He drove at 80+mph in the WRONG LANE, and I shouted to pull over and Id walk the rest. Ofcourse he said No and drove like a <enter word> anyway. Reported him and never heard anything back.

iansheff
19-11-2011, 13:25
I did my knowledge ten years ago, I know most places in Sheffield mostly in the north, but i might struggle around Killamarsh, Kiverton PK etc..,a sat nav will help me out won't it? They won't be no driver in Sheffield that knows EVERY SINGLE STREET it's just practically impossible, sat-navs are useful to find street No's on dark country roads (drives me mad) and if i get someone who wants to go to another city then they come in handy too.

The amount of people that post stuff on here before thinking about it is unreal, i've said this before too, next week it will be the bin men followed by bus drivers :hihi:.... then back to Taxis again:love:

You missed out teachers, haven't noticed anyone having a go other than on the day of action thread. Mind you give it 3 weeks if the snow comes then that will be all the ammo needed.

Blue Day
19-11-2011, 13:33
there is no way some of the new drivers would be able to pass what we did.

I beg to differ.

I first took my knowledge test about 8 years ago (and failed :( ) That consisted of 100 routes from / to different points in Sheffield. These could be learned 'parrot fashion' which meant in effect a 12 year old could pass.

I didn't retake it until 3 years ago - and it has changed. Now besides the english / maths test you have to actually describe in detail to a council examiner how you would get from point A to point B, on what roads you'd travel and what landmarks you'd pass. Now, which is the more difficult???

Taxi drivers have always (and will continue to) get a bad press, sometimes quite rightly. I've been in taxis when the driver quizes you when you mention Stanington...... But for every unhappy customer there'll be 5,000 happy ones who's journey goes without any trouble.

As is now the case though, with forums such as this, people would rather come on here spouting (sometimes) rubbish about bad drivers instead of actually contacting the taxi company / licencing authority which is quite easily done.

godbehere23
19-11-2011, 19:32
lets get something straight shall we...the modern day taxi driver is not good i who has been involved in this industry in and out for the past 23 years knows they lack knowledge of the city,they lack basic communication and mostly they lack any level of customer service.
who is to blame? there is only 3 sets of people to blame.
1.Sheffield City Council
2.The taxi companies who employ them.
3. The general public who dont complain enough to the above 2
This is all fact deal with it

*_ash_*
20-11-2011, 03:40
I beg to differ.

I first took my knowledge test about 8 years ago (and failed :( ) That consisted of 100 routes from / to different points in Sheffield. These could be learned 'parrot fashion' which meant in effect a 12 year old could pass.

I didn't retake it until 3 years ago - and it has changed. Now besides the english / maths test you have to actually describe in detail to a council examiner how you would get from point A to point B, on what roads you'd travel and what landmarks you'd pass. Now, which is the more difficult???

Your 'begging to differ' seems to imply that it was easier in the past.

So you tell me which is more difficult?! :huh:

"A 12 year old could pass the 'easier' test in 'parrot fashion'"... yet you failed it?

I don't get your reasoning. :huh:

Are you suggesting that I'm a parrot, or that you are incapable of acting as one? :hihi:

(also it was 215 routes when I did it)

Ms Macbeth
20-11-2011, 06:45
Agreed but this drivers area he normally works in might be Halfway, Westfield thus might struggle around Hills, however if he worked around Hillsboro' and he didn't know where Bradfield Rd were then yeah I see your point :loopy:

Unfortunately the driver (private hire) I was behind the other day did know Bradfield Road. :roll:

Its the one with no left turn from Middlewood Road. When he decided to turn left anyway, he almost knocked down the people crossing with the Green Man signal. When the traffic lights are on green to go straight across Hillsborough corner, it should be safe for pedestrians on the crossing on Bradfield Rd. I'm surprised no one was knocked down.

I've seen other drivers do the same thing, but I'd expect a professional to know better. I didn't get the name of the firm or I'd have let them know.

JBD_
20-11-2011, 07:24
I blame the council,they should make tests harder ,rotherham is just the same and the cars some are very old !

0114owl1867
20-11-2011, 11:43
Last week I got a taxi from Lane Top to The Crown at Owlerton and the taxi driver did not have a clue where he was going, I then got on a tram into town then at the end of the night I got a taxi from top of West St back to Lane Top and got charged a tenner, I do this often and it's never a tenner it was ablack cab and it was a clear run nearly all the way back but he went the wrong way - shock horror, and yes I did explain this to him !!

dalekk
20-11-2011, 13:54
Last Saturday I asked a taxi driver to take me to Hillsborough Interchange, as I live nearby and thought that would be the most well-known drop-off spot - he answered 'I don't know what that is.' :confused:

wastewood
20-11-2011, 14:33
we are always out and about doing delivery's, and some taxi drivers are very good drivers and some just don`t seem to no what they are doing at all, I think this goes for all drivers at some point on the roads!!

mafya
20-11-2011, 15:04
I blame the council,they should make tests harder ,rotherham is just the same and the cars some are very old !

Rotherham taxi's are also cheaper by the mile than sheffield ones so would you rather they had newer cars and increased the fares?

SUPERDREAM
20-11-2011, 15:13
Most are ok, but some dont know where they are going.

pacman123
20-11-2011, 20:53

you forgot posties,it's getting near christmas and the weather is changing..:hihi:

Bassman62
20-11-2011, 21:26
I admonished a taxi driver for pulling up at a neighbours house and sounding his horn to atract their attention to the fact that he'd arrived as this had become a regular happening.
I indicated that he should go and knock on the door to which he stuck up two fingers, I then explained to him that he was not only attracting the attention of his fare but other people as well, his incorrect reply was that it wasn't an offence before 2300 hrs (obviously didn't know the rules on use of the horn).
I reported the driver via his plate number and guess what they always go and knock on the door now instead of sitting there tooting their horn.

Bloomdido
20-11-2011, 21:29

I have wondered this too. It seems that racist people have low ability in grammar. If we could teach people how to write properly, there would be no racists.

nomis78
21-11-2011, 07:36

in your case i dont mind you using a sat nav, i get drivers like you on ocassion and i honestly dont mind, commuting to one of the more obscure council offices i expect to find the odd driver thats going to need help but there are some out there who do it that are simply taking the micheal and give the good ones amongst you a bad name

I think that perhaps the knowledge checks should be renewed after a certain period, not doubting your ability but 10+ years seems a bit of a long time.

I think that alot of them need to consider attitudes as well, I take a regular route with a specific firm and know the route and charge very well, however i had a driver the other day that needed me to direct them every step of the way and then tried to charge me 1.50 more then I have ever been charged!

Opend the door gave him the most i had ever paid for the exact same route nad left the cab, driver then proceeded to follow and threaten me, when i rang the firm to explain what had happend and complained the manager wasm more then helpfull informed me i had actually paid a little too much with what i gave the driver and that the diver would be diciplined and informed me what to do to complain to the town hall about him and apologised for the behaviour of their driver.

It's personal choice but I do not trust a independant black cab from the street unless i am with friends/family I'd rather use a firm where i know they will do checks on the drivers before taking them on and i know that they are reputable 9/10 times that i use them.

nomis78
21-11-2011, 07:40
Unfortunately the driver (private hire) I was behind the other day did know Bradfield Road. :roll:

Its the one with no left turn from Middlewood Road. When he decided to turn left anyway, he almost knocked down the people crossing with the Green Man signal. When the traffic lights are on green to go straight across Hillsborough corner, it should be safe for pedestrians on the crossing on Bradfield Rd. I'm surprised no one was knocked down.

I've seen other drivers do the same thing, but I'd expect a professional to know better. I didn't get the name of the firm or I'd have let them know.

you would be surprised how many times i have seen this happen I am a little surprised that the junction layout hasnt been altered slightly to make this harder for them t doo, Alot of drivers (mistakenly) think that if they do this they can avoid a ticket also, they dont realize the bus gate starts before that junction (thought that bus gate in itself is a nightmare)

cuttsie
21-11-2011, 07:55
I have wondered this too. It seems that racist people have low ability in grammar. If we could teach people how to write properly, there would be no racists.
Albert Einstien could never figure out how to tie his shoe laces.

nomis78
21-11-2011, 08:02
is that true?

Never heard that one before, did hear that he was dyslexic however :s

Bassman62
21-11-2011, 08:26
is that true?

Never heard that one before, did hear that he was dyslexic however :sYes he was, he was the first to write 'Dyslexia Rules KO'.:hihi:

happyhippo
21-11-2011, 10:17
some people do honestly make me laugh. I got my taxi badge as a backup for being made redundant or being out of work for whatever reason. around a year back my contract finished where i was working. i am educated to degree level and still found it very hard to find a job as a lot of graduates do so was glad i had a badge, its better than signing on! anyway, i have great road knowledge around where i have grown up and routes which i have used for commuting. the areas where i drew a blank were places like parson cross, grenoside, stannington, and basically that end of town (north and north west sheffield?) as i had not visited these places probably more than once or twice thorughout my 25 years of being born and bred in sheffield. now when i started taxi'ing part time i was fine around the areas i knew but needed some assistance with finding my way around areas like stannington and surrounding areas. most customers are fine as long as you know the main roads and have a general idea which every taxi driver should have but we could not possibly know every road in sheffield! no person in any industry knows every thing there is possibly to know in that field and the same goes for taxi drivers, we cannot possibly know every single road in sheffield. the main roads we should know without a doubt and main link roads between areas. you people who say drivers should know every road and place of interest in sheffield should try taking a look at the 160 routes and around 30 places of interest we have to learn and see how many you remember after a couple of months.
i do think drivers that cannot speak simple english should not be able to get a license and if they do not know the main roads in sheffield then they shouldnt be doing taxi.
but come on, telling a driver that he should know every road and not use a tomtom is like tellling your doctor not to pull out a medical book when he is confused with your symptoms.....

smythe74
21-11-2011, 10:23

Come again?

Bassman62
21-11-2011, 11:07
but come on, telling a driver that he should know every road and not use a tomtom is like tellling your doctor not to pull out a medical book when he is confused with your symptoms.....
I think that one question that arises is how can someone who has only been in the UK 3 weeks get hold of a Taxi drivers license as was the case with a taxi driver who picked us up.

happyhippo
21-11-2011, 11:20
I think that one question that arises is how can someone who has only been in the UK 3 weeks get hold of a Taxi drivers license as was the case with a taxi driver who picked us up.

I think that driver was telling porkies as for a sheffield badge you have to have held a uk driving license for a number of years think its at least one! and if it was a north east derbyshire driver i still dont think you can obtain a license that quick!

Bassman62
21-11-2011, 12:14
I think that driver was telling porkies as for a sheffield badge you have to have held a uk driving license for a number of years think its at least one! and if it was a north east derbyshire driver i still dont think you can obtain a license that quick!Didn't know enough English to tell porkies, could have been one of the previously mentioned situations of 'One taxi, several drivers, taxi on the road 24/7.

sccman
21-11-2011, 14:19
Looking at this there appears to many "Chinese rumours" that are going around about taxi drivers and how easy it is to get a badge and the "one badge fits all the family" sort of nonsense. From personal history and having a good in depth knowledge I can tell you the following about Sheffield Taxi & Private hire licensing, 1, legally you have to have held a recognised licence for at least 12 months, this does mean that a person who has been in this country 3 weeks could apply for a licence, if they have a E U licence, this is national legislation and nothing that a Council can do about. Currently in Sheffield it will take an applicant around 4 to 6 months to get to a point where a licence is issued.

The application process currently consists of taking a maths and English assessment which you have to reach entry level 1 in both parts,

Secondly a Knowledge test that is a one to one test with an officer, this is divided in to 2 parts, and you have to get 80% right in both parts to pass,

Then a competence of driving test, slightly above the level of a normal driving test, but not an advanced test, again this is by an independent council service.

Then you would be then in a position to apply for a licence, the application will then consist of doing a DVLA check. a Criminal Records Check, also a Medical to DVLA Group 2level which is the same as a HGV, PSV driver.

If that is all ok, then the Council will grant a licence, and has no power to not grant a licence to anybody who fulfils this criteria, if the for instance there are any reason for a refusal then the Licensing Sub Committee are the only body that can make a decision to refuse, and the applicant would have to face the committee and a decision is made. If that decision is not to grant a licence, then it doesn’t stop there the applicant has a right of an appeal to a magistrates court, to look to overrule the Council and issue a licence.

There are many hoops to jump through to be a driver, and maybe if the people on here actually count up the number of times they witness bad driving but have no way of knowing who the driver was I am sure that would far out weigh the times they see a vehicle with a plate on doing similar. This is not to defend bad driving.
but to try and point out that the licensed driver what ever vehicle bus, taxi, lorry, is easily identified from the general public.

Also not all the vehicles with taxi plates on in Sheffield are from Sheffield, Sheffield are white or very light blue, any other colour you see its not a Sheffield Vehicle, Yellow, Green, yellow & black.

Also just the Council has just announced its changing the application procedure for new drivers the fourth change in 15 years, from January 2012, all new applicants must undertake the "BTEC Level 2 Certificate in "the introduction to the role of the professional private hire and taxi driver." This is a nationally recognised certificate backed by the industry and user groups, and Sheffield is the first City to adopt the stance that all new drivers should have this prior to making an application.

They will then have to sit a CHANGED knowledge test which will consist of
Places of Interest
Districts and Routes

Again the pass mark will be 80%

Blue Day
21-11-2011, 17:15
Your 'begging to differ' seems to imply that it was easier in the past.

So you tell me which is more difficult?! :huh:

You said a new taxi driver today would struggle to pass the test you took back in the day.

I disagree.

IMO it was easier in the past than it is now.

cuttsie
21-11-2011, 18:22
You said a new taxi driver today would struggle to pass the test you took back in the day.

I disagree.

Have you ever tried double de clutching.

MattTurner
21-11-2011, 18:36
How I love taxi drivers :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z41MQLKljw&t=18s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is3s5acwd8s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUNAKYFMAhk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgWBLVUnZyU - (Includes some bad language)

Blue Day
21-11-2011, 18:39
Have you ever tried double declutching.

.... and your point is??

*_ash_*
21-11-2011, 19:12

I disagree.

Ok Fair enough. You threw me a little when you said that a 12 year old could pass it, but you couldn't.

cuttsie
21-11-2011, 19:32
.... and your point is??
The point is in the question.

Blue Day
21-11-2011, 19:48
The point is in the question.

Ok - yes I have done plenty of double clutching in the past driving older HGV lorries.

Hope you're ok with that. :loopy:

cuttsie
21-11-2011, 21:21
Ok - yes I have done plenty of double clutching in the past driving older HGV lorries.

Hope you're ok with that. :loopy:
Thank you for your kind reply, did not realise that we are of similar age so both of us would be familier with double de clutching ,I still need to do it in my old landy.
:suspect:

C0NV0Y
11-02-2012, 07:49
what it needs is law inforcement to stop taxi driver's take a photo of driver then get him to bring his badge in and match them up then see if he his legal.:roll:

Greengeek
11-02-2012, 08:07

One did that to me up in Ranmoor the other day. I had nowhere to manoeuvre to as there was a bus opposite me, I slowed as much as I could and clipped him in the balls with the wingmirror :D

Greengeek
11-02-2012, 08:07
what it needs is law inforcement to stop taxi driver's take a photo of driver then get him to bring his badge in and match them up then see if he his legal.:roll:

Fingerprint identification to start and drive the taxi perhaps :D

Number Six
11-02-2012, 08:12
I saw a black cab drive at over 30mph (about 40 I reckon) down the bus lane on Ecclesall Road yesteryday ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!

That included passing at least one side road where other cars may have been emerging.

Sadly didn't get the number.

PAKS4
11-02-2012, 12:16

What a stupid idea! All drivers have 2 badges in the vehicle!

Norseman
11-02-2012, 21:56

I think this relates more to black cabs and a particular set of people (no nastiness here). I seldom catch a taxi however the last one I caught spoke about three words of English and kept looking at his gears as he couldn't get third gear and kept crunching the gears. The journey should've taken around 10 minutes and actually took nearly 30. He also hadn't got a clue about the destination and even tried to take me via a completely different route which would've added about another 12 to the fare until I corrected him.

There was no way he was a qualified driver, on after-thought I never saw his id hung up either.

He also spent quite a bit of the journey driving on the wrong side of the road!

fazil786
11-02-2012, 23:10
almost all of them use tomtom now adays.

mc55
11-02-2012, 23:29
Passed a taxi last month during the evening that had one back brake light out and no headlights - he had another person with him in the car, who I presumed was a fare.

I also find it really irritating when they stop in the middle of the road to drop off / pick up a fare - especially when there are spaces to pull in at the side of the road.

Ha3el
11-02-2012, 23:34
One of the last black taxis i got into i was actually fearing for my life somewhat, and to say i was rather drunk at the time that's quite a statement! Guy floored it all the way back from town, bouncing full speed over speed bumps and throwing it around bends. got back in just over 5mins when the journey is 10 on a quick and clear run. Now i'm not bothered about a bit of speeding but I genuinely believed he was going to roll the taxi before i got home, and even messaged friends because of this in case i didnt make it back. i did make a comment that he was going to ruin the suspension in his taxi but was told 'oh it's fine its just been done, should be good for another 18months now'!

Tbh, i really dont care if the taxi driver hasnt memorised the A-Z, I usually make the effort to find out where i'm going regardless of whether i'm in a taxi, all i care about is they get me there safely

kurtwood50
12-02-2012, 19:46
i make the same journey every friday which is usually 3 drops and costs roughly 12, the amount of drivers that try charging in excess of 20 is a joke. not only are they ignorant but they try to rip people off too. They get 12 tops and a few choice words which i wont repeat on here

retired
12-02-2012, 20:06
My mate is a taxi driver and I have heard it all. Regarding stopping anywhere well that is usually the passenger demanding a stop right there! Try stopping in a sensible place will only get the driver a mouth full.

He mostly works S10. S6 and S5. Ask him to drop you off in a particular side road in Halfway or Killamarsh and he wouldn't have a clue.

He always appreciates directions up front and lets face it, if anyone can memorise the A to Z and not need a copy then he should be in nuclear physics not driving a cab.

C0NV0Y
14-02-2012, 08:23
What a stupid idea! All drivers have 2 badges in the vehicle!

not stupid idea ive been in a taxi with no badge reply to that then :huh:

PAKS4
14-02-2012, 11:51
not stupid idea ive been in a taxi with no badge reply to that then :huh:

Well that's also a stupid thing to do, was it even a taxi? Did you ask to see the badge?

ScoutMaster
14-02-2012, 12:43
I cant knock taxi drivers was walking home from work about 3.00 in mornin no money a black cab pulls up n says jump :huh: in i thought no way got no money i cant so he says hes gunna town anyway jump in so i did i respect this guy he must be 1 of a kind not many would help ,

C0NV0Y
16-02-2012, 19:27
Well that's also a stupid thing to do, was it even a taxi? Did you ask to see the badge?

derrrrrr :loopy: it had a taxi radio and door stickers on but no badge on show dint ask couldnt speak english much had to direct him to my house......

Taximark
16-02-2012, 20:04
Did he get you home safe?

PAKS4
16-02-2012, 21:49
derrrrrr :loopy: it had a taxi radio and door stickers on but no badge on show dint ask couldnt speak english much had to direct him to my house......

If it's such an issue you should have asked to see it! I'm sure he would have understood the word badge no matter what level of English he spoke. As for stickers anybody can get hold of them.

adamf
17-02-2012, 09:17

I suppose they could make the CAPTCHAs a lot more complicated.

Tomm06
17-02-2012, 12:23

Lol, they really are, thankfully ours aren't...infact some of the drivers are getting pretty decent cars. I've seen 5 series', Mercs, Audis, brand new Mondeos...and even a Golf GTI believe it or not lol.

diablo
17-02-2012, 12:41
I totally agree. The grammar and spelling on this forum leaves much to be desired !

I am also in agreement with this comment!

Supertramp
17-02-2012, 12:51

Which one of you couldn't speak English? We know which one can't write in English.

C0NV0Y
17-02-2012, 23:28
Lol, they really are, thankfully ours aren't...infact some of the drivers are getting pretty decent cars. I've seen 5 series', Mercs, Audis, brand new Mondeos...and even a Golf GTI believe it or not lol.
i do believe it i followed a golf r24 2 nite private hire

sarah2012
18-02-2012, 00:28
i dont think they take home much these days

Paddy
18-02-2012, 00:34
i dont think they take home much these days

Probably not if you believe the Tax & NI returns they submit anyway :hihi:

Norseman
18-02-2012, 12:57
i do believe it i followed a golf r24 2 nite private hire

Incidentally has anyone else seen that Nissan Sunny/Bluebird thing which is around 200 years old held together by rust and is wait for a Taxi and driven by an Asian guy who looks about 12. I saw it on Upperthorpe Road the other day coming down the hill... the colour was 'rust'

ihsaan
18-02-2012, 21:46
Private hire vehicles must be less than 5 years old when they are first tested and can be run until they are 9 years old. So I doubt there will be any Nissan bluebirds licensed by sheffield city council

C0NV0Y
19-02-2012, 00:18
Private hire vehicles must be less than 5 years old when they are first tested and can be run until they are 9 years old. So I doubt there will be any Nissan bluebirds licensed by sheffield city council

your rite about the blue bird but they have to no older than 6 years

*_ash_*
19-02-2012, 02:47
your rite about the blue bird but they have to no older than 6 years

It's hard to make out what you are saying... but if you are saying that taxis in Sheff can't be older than 6 years old, then you are wrong.

ihsaan
19-02-2012, 07:04
To the best of my knowledge I understood that any vehicle over 9 years old will not be licensed as a private hire vehicle. This cannot be said for other places such Rotherham Doncaster etc.

Taximark
19-02-2012, 12:46
I'm still driving a mk3 ford Cortina for a truly nostalgic feel.

Norseman
19-02-2012, 13:40
To the best of my knowledge I understood that any vehicle over 9 years old will not be licensed as a private hire vehicle. This cannot be said for other places such Rotherham Doncaster etc.

I didn't take note of where the vehicle was from unfortunately. I was actually amazed that something so old and rusty could be allowed to be a taxi on health and safety grounds. There is no way that car had ever passed an emissions test and for that matter an MOT either.

Taximark
19-02-2012, 13:52
I didn't take note of where the vehicle was from unfortunately. I was actually amazed that something so old and rusty could be allowed to be a taxi on health and safety grounds. There is no way that car had ever passed an emissions test and for that matter an MOT either.

It will definatly be a non Sheffield Taxi mate, one of the things that I do agree with that Sheffield City Council do is have a strict age limit, a car that is to be plated can not be no older then 4 years old then it can run for up to 9 years of age, after it has passes 5 years old then it must have 2 mot's a year.

Cars in rotherham can be 20 years old or more, I saw a Vauxhall Carlton in Chesterfield a few months ago :hihi:

C0NV0Y
20-02-2012, 19:26
It's hard to make out what you are saying... but if you are saying that taxis in Sheff can't be older than 6 years old, then you are wrong.

wat i was saying was no older than 6yrs to put them on and there on for 9yrs ....... i no been there got a taxi badge now i have a 16 seater pcv......

Norseman
20-02-2012, 20:03
It will definatly be a non Sheffield Taxi mate, one of the things that I do agree with that Sheffield City Council do is have a strict age limit, a car that is to be plated can not be no older then 4 years old then it can run for up to 9 years of age, after it has passes 5 years old then it must have 2 mot's a year.

Cars in rotherham can be 20 years old or more, I saw a Vauxhall Carlton in Chesterfield a few months ago :hihi:

That Nissan Bluebird thing I saw was at least 20 years old

laingui
04-03-2012, 16:15
I got a taxi from the dog track to town and the fair on the display was 6.50. So i was about to give him a tenner when. the driver said ''Call it a tenner''. Before i knew it my wife was kicking off with some very un PC language but i had to agree with her. the cheeky **** had talked him self out of a generous tip (more than 10%) thats good for a yorkshireman.

My point is they get a bad name because they are @*!!!!

jgharston
04-03-2012, 18:21
I was actually amazed that something so old and rusty could be allowed to be a taxi on health and safety grounds. There is no way that car had ever passed an emissions test and for that matter an MOT either.If a car fails an MOT it can't pass a taxi test because the taxi test is required to include the standard MOT as its minimum baseline, regardless of licensing authority.

If anybody ever sees a suspect taxi, don't moan, make a note of its plate number and licensing authority and spend five minutes emailing the relevant licensing section.

*_ash_*
04-03-2012, 18:34
If a car fails an MOT it can't pass a taxi test because the taxi test is required to include the standard MOT as its minimum baseline, regardless of licensing authority.

If anybody ever sees a suspect taxi, don't moan, make a note of its plate number and licensing authority and spend five minutes emailing the relevant licensing section.

... the MoT is actually done by the licensing dept. (I know you'll know that, I was just making it clear for readers)

jk123
04-03-2012, 19:17
the problem we have here is these drivers lack the expereance the rely to much on there sat navs i have been a taxi driver for 22 years i learnt my way around sheffield studying the old a to z the main thing as a driver just remeber where u picked up from and where u dropped and observe all the other roads and places of intrest u pass

Taximark
05-03-2012, 12:30
If a car fails an MOT it can't pass a taxi test because the taxi test is required to include the standard MOT as its minimum baseline, regardless of licensing authority.

Blackcab???????????

declan12
08-10-2012, 10:43
most taxi drivers are ok if you guide them....:|

arsenal
08-10-2012, 14:40
I Know a very good taxi driver.Who works for one of the big taxi company s in sheffield for the last ten years.And users sat nav now and then. nobody knows every street in sheffield.Not even me.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

frededwards
08-10-2012, 14:48

Absolutely, and I suspect that the council will be reluctant to clamp down upon it for fear of the discrimination "industry" claiming some inherent prejudice when the cultural demographic of the majority of offenders comes to light.

Total Chaos
08-10-2012, 15:19
[QUOTE=sheryl666;8285404]I thought they had to be tested in what was the 'knowledge' . If so why do so many use sat navs?

I was going to go for a taxi license and learnt the knowledge test brilliantly.I failed the driving test bit :hihi: even after 10yrs behind the wheel.

chipspice
09-10-2012, 22:05
happens all over the country. it happened to me in manchester, the taxi driver couldnt see without his glasses and passed the map through for me to read because he didnt know where he was going :-)

*_ash_*
09-10-2012, 22:10
happens all over the country. it happened to me in manchester, the taxi driver couldnt see without his glasses and passed the map through for me to read because he didnt know where he was going :-)

He passed the map to you?

What year was this?

Taximark
10-10-2012, 12:21
God! is this thread still going after all this time, By the way I'm no longer a Taxi driver I'm now a Banker looking after all your investments,..... I know lets start a new thread, come on...all the moaners this way ----->:hihi:

Paddy
10-10-2012, 13:56
It's nearly a year old now but the situation hasn't improved at all. During the last year I have nearly been taken out twice by taxi drivers who have come through the lights on red!

andymod
10-10-2012, 17:14
1 Cab, 1 Licence multiple drivers

*_ash_*
10-10-2012, 19:09
1 Cab, 1 Licence multiple drivers
Evidence in this post, 0.

jgharston
11-10-2012, 06:14
1 Cab, 1 Licence multiple driversVehicles are licensed seperately from drivers. A vehicles licensed for public hire can be used by as many drivers licensed to drive a licensed vehicle as the owner of the vehicle allows. As long as the vehicle continues to pass its mechanical safety tests and is within the required age limit, then it can be run continuously 24 hours a day if the vehicle owner so choses. The Licensing Department has the power to impose vehicle retests at a greater than normal frequency if it believes a vehicle is wearing out faster than the normal retests would catch.

Each and every driver who drives a licensed vehicle must be themselves licensed as a licensed taxi driver. That does not mean they are licensed to drive that taxi, they are licensed to drive a taxi. Some drivers choose, or are only insured, to drive a single identified vehicle. Some vehicle owners chose, or are only insured, to allow a single identified driver to drive the vechile.

tasha_78_1
11-10-2012, 06:55
got picked up not very long ago to go to a restaurant about 2 miles away, our driver couldn`t even find his way back to the main road (1 left turn and 1 right turn, not difficult) and obviously didn`t know the way to the restaurant, even though we gave him the address. Very poor.

ihsaan
11-10-2012, 07:19
There is a written and oral exam for all taxi drivers

Taximark
11-10-2012, 22:41
It's nearly a year old now but the situation hasn't improved at all. During the last year I have nearly been taken out twice by taxi drivers who have come through the lights on red!

Paddy, that's terrible, did you get any pics? reg no? etc......no? hmmm.

Change the record Paddy.

joat36
11-10-2012, 23:15

Where is that like button?

Norseman
12-10-2012, 17:37

You're one of the lucky ones then....

I was collected from my mate's home to my home one evening last winter which is roughly 2 miles, the driver set off in completely the wrong and opposite direction heading towards Parson Cross and could barely speak Engleesh, needless to say he was of asian descent and was obviously borrowing his "family's" taxi. He was not best pleased I had to direct him to where I lived as opposed to going via New Delhi. It was a black cab. I also refused to pay the full fare and asked him for his ID when I climbed out of the cab a couple of roads away, needless to say he shot off like a ferret up a drainpipe, so really he wasn't qualified and had lots to hide.

This goes out to single women, younger and elderly people be careful and ensure that the ID matches the driver BEFORE you get in the cab! I was sober as I don't drink however he thought he could take advantage of the situation which obviously backfired.

Be careful.

Norseman
12-10-2012, 17:40
There is a written and oral exam for all taxi drivers

There may be, however if your brother or Uncle is driving the taxi they are not qualified and this IS the problem.

Person A cannot drive a taxi 24/7 unless person B.C & D all take it in turns and this happens, re my other post on this matter

ihsaan
12-10-2012, 18:09
There are drivers that will share vehicles, but rest assured they will be licensed and insured. Private hire companies will never take the risk of having an unlicensed driver as part of their company, as this could result in them having their operators licence taken away

Also for black cabs. They cost tens of thousands of pounds to buy and then risk giving that vehicle to someone who is not licensed and uninsured is a risk not worth taking.

Amyrach
12-10-2012, 18:58
ive just passed mine for north east derbyshire and had to do a knowledge test in 3 parts and pass mark 70 per cent
and then take a dsa driving assessment

daisy-dog
12-10-2012, 19:53
This is what's happening at Sheffield college : http://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/index.cfm?parentid=1846579a-ad4c-43e2-8941-8bf6a051aa4f

OPEN BORDERS
12-10-2012, 20:07
Thats not a theory, thats a fact....

Without a shadow of doubt. Some cant, or wont, fill in a receipt when requested.

Operationpig
12-10-2012, 21:02

I was collected from my mate's home to my home one evening last winter which is roughly 2 miles, the driver set off in completely the wrong and opposite direction heading towards Parson Cross and could barely speak Engleesh, needless to say he was of asian descent and was obviously borrowing his "family's" taxi. He was not best pleased I had to direct him to where I lived as opposed to going via New Delhi. It was a black cab. I also refused to pay the full fare and asked him for his ID when I climbed out of the cab a couple of roads away, needless to say he shot off like a ferret up a drainpipe, so really he wasn't qualified and had lots to hide.

This goes out to single women, younger and elderly people be careful and ensure that the ID matches the driver BEFORE you get in the cab! I was sober as I don't drink however he thought he could take advantage of the situation which obviously backfired.

Be careful.

Such an old theory, he might of been new, did you ever stop to think that, also I think you have just made all of that up just to post something, hat's my theory.

Taximark
12-10-2012, 21:09

Be careful.

Needless to say you never checked the drivers ID? and needless to say how did you climb out, through the window? no wonder he shot off :hihi:

Oh and I think it's a cool story bro.

Right off to New Delhi to find a ferret...

*_ash_*
13-10-2012, 03:26
There may be, however if your brother or Uncle is driving the taxi they are not qualified and this IS the problem.

Person A cannot drive a taxi 24/7 unless person B.C & D all take it in turns and this happens, re my other post on this matter

... which was conjecture.

rayggb
22-11-2012, 08:56
I have come into contact with two cab drivers recently who clearly did'nt know where the hell they were or,which way to go next.In one case it turned out that the guy was new from lancashire .In both cases,in retrospect neither was wearing a badge.I wish I had asked to see their badge.
Maybe it would be a good idea for cops and Licensing to check at off peak times when the drivers are least expecting them to.

bricur63
22-11-2012, 11:31
Taxi drivers are not necessarily the worst drivers but definately the most ignorant!