View Full Version : Wearing liberty bodices in the 1950s

STUNMON
10-11-2011, 11:13
Can you remember liberty bodices for girls, short trousers for boys, and what you wore to school in the 1950s?

DUFFEMS
10-11-2011, 11:35
Can you remember liberty bodices for girls, short trousers for boys, and what you wore to school in the 1950s?

Liberty bodices had squashy rubber buttons.

legs 49
10-11-2011, 11:46
The buttons on the liberty bodice took forever to fasten, I was glad when my mum decided I was too old to wear them.

hellabobby
10-11-2011, 12:11
Short trousers nearly down to the knees. Long grey woolly socks that turn over at the top with a couple of coloured stripes. Home knitted ill fitting jumpers Small caps with great big peaks Elastic snake belts . A bit like the hovis advert really.

CapnEgg
10-11-2011, 12:24
Short trousers with braces, socks that rarely stayed up, and a black blazer with little burnt dots on the sleeves, created by focusing sunlight through a "burning glass" (magnifying lens). In contrast with today's school regulations, the pockets would contain, amongst many other things, a knife for sharpening pencils, and we'd be in trouble if we had no knife.

hellabobby
10-11-2011, 12:35
My grandkids are fascinated by the blue marks under the skin of my knees caused by coming off my bike and ploughing up the gravel regularly I took the skin off the back my thumb more than once using a catapult My mum once bought me some crepe soled shoes and I wore them out in one night playing football on the street.

trans
10-11-2011, 13:15
If you had crepe sole shoes if you wore them enough did you notice that they became bigger than the shoe.

DUFFEMS
10-11-2011, 13:28
If you had crepe sole shoes if you wore them enough did you notice that they became bigger than the shoe.

That's true and, didn't you trip up a lot in crepe soles, we used to call them "chuck you" shoes.

poppins
10-11-2011, 13:55
Short trousers nearly down to the knees. Long grey woolly socks that turn over at the top with a couple of coloured stripes. Home knitted ill fitting jumpers Small caps with great big peaks Elastic snake belts . A bit like the hovis advert really.

How about the home made knitted socks, then darned with one of wooden mushrooms .:hihi:

hellabobby
10-11-2011, 14:06
@ Poppins I had a pair of those football boots that came right round past your ankles with leather studs. Those along with the leather caseballs particularly when they were old and soggy and wet gave you legs like pit props . Made us a bit tougher than these ballet dancers kicking balloons around today.

grinder
10-11-2011, 14:08
Bicycle stocking they called them long stockings and your underpants didn't have elastic around the top they had loops you put your bracers through..
The first trousers I remember that where made for a belt and not bracers, in the American style, were called slacks....

mondeo blade
10-11-2011, 18:49
Can you remember liberty bodices for girls, short trousers for boys, and what you wore to school in the 1950s?ihated having to wear a liberty bodice

louan
10-11-2011, 20:48

And strips of white material sewed on - what on earth were they for?

sparkynelson
10-11-2011, 21:31
I remember having to wear a liberty bodice , rubber buttons and all . but under this I wore a brown paper , what I can only describe as a vest coated with goose grease next to my skin , to keep me healthy . Can any one beat that.?

shaunfl
10-11-2011, 22:40
I just remember liberty bodices being very itchy..:(

DUFFEMS
10-11-2011, 22:43
I just remember liberty bodices being very itchy..:(

You must have been wearing yours inside out!

zepstox
10-11-2011, 23:58
Flippin' eck, I wore a liberty bodice when I was about 4. What were they all about? All ready for school with my liberty bodice on, a bowl of readybrek, a slice of lard and marmite inside me and a tablespoon of some brown stuff, brewer's yeast or something.

suzy050272
11-11-2011, 00:02
It would have been malt and cod liver oil!!! Did us all good, so my old mum said. I thought it tasted nice back then, but ried it years later with he memory thinking I'd like it..... it was foul! Ah well..... good times back then, eh?

lyndyloo
11-11-2011, 00:29
Vest,Libertybodice,Navy knickers with a pocket for your dinner money,Itchy Hand knitted jumper,grey or navy Gymslip that was too big (you grew into them) A Gaberdene coat with a belt Clarks sandals I kept tripping up in.Those were the days no designer gear for us.Nearly fogot a daft itchy hat in winter.

jmdee
11-11-2011, 00:35
Why the name liberty?

tasha_78_1
11-11-2011, 14:29
How about the home made knitted socks, then darned with one of wooden mushrooms .:hihi:

I still have one of those wooden mushrooms, it was my Mums

Glennis
11-11-2011, 14:40

Ah, the liberty bodice and its squashy rubber buttons. I remember it well, with fond memories. :love:

le-joker
11-11-2011, 15:19
Yeah, I remember the liberty bodice, but can`t remember who wore it, my sister or me.
I remember the jar of goose grease too.

And what about when a cabbage was boiled you were expected to drink the cabbage water, "because it was good for you!"

Do you remember your first water bottle ? Mine was a lemonade bottle with hot water from the kettle in it. :hihi:

sweetdexter
14-11-2011, 20:53
Wasn't there a kind of undergarment that all babies wore.
A bit like a liberty Bodice but fastened with a satin ribbon.
I was thinking of this last week as i was changing my 8 month grandsons old diaper

lyndyloo
14-11-2011, 22:55
Wasn't there a kind of undergarment that all babies wore.
A bit like a liberty Bodice but fastened with a satin ribbon.
I was thinking of this last week as i was changing my 8 month grandsons old diaper

Yes were they old fashioned baby vests they were a cream colour.

Ms Macbeth
14-11-2011, 23:02
Ah, the liberty bodice and its squashy rubber buttons. I remember it well, with fond memories. :love:

I've still got some of those buttons. ;) We needed liberty bodices, vests and woollen socks and stockings as few homes had central heating even 40 years ago!

tasha_78_1
15-11-2011, 10:18
My knickers had button holes and they buttoned onto my liberty bodice

rf2690
16-11-2011, 15:55
don't know why but i used to bite the rubber buttons off mine,so ended up with a safety pin to hold it together,and if i felt really rebellious i'd pull the stitching out of the army blankets.

DUFFEMS
16-11-2011, 16:14
don't know why but i used to bite the rubber buttons off mine,so ended up with a safety pin to hold it together,and if i felt really rebellious i'd pull the stitching out of the army blankets.

Mentioning blankets, did yours have the "utility mark" on them, the two c's?

rf2690
16-11-2011, 16:24
Mentioning blankets, did yours have the "utility mark" on them, the two c's?

Can't remember that Duffems,but used to knit dolls mittens out of the thread.:hihi:

DUFFEMS
16-11-2011, 16:27
Can't remember that Duffems,but used to knit dolls mittens out of the thread.:hihi:

The things we did for entertainment, we knew how to have a good time, jumpers for goalposts and blanket thread for dolls' mittens!

tinkywinky
18-11-2011, 12:32
They were called "Liberty" as they were designed to replace the bnoned corsets used in the Victorian era and the smoother more softer fabric was seen to free the womanor child from the restrictive undergarments worn during the previous era.

CapnEgg
18-11-2011, 13:42
Relative liberty, then.
I remember talking with a busty woman at a re-enactment. She was dressed completely as a woman would in the 1600s, and said that she felt more comfortable than when wearing modern clothing

brian1941
22-11-2011, 20:26
----------
hi shelia, i think that why they made rurbber buttons so they would
survive when they went through the wooden mangle.

can you remember the pink powder dental tooth-paste called UCRYL,
it made your teeth white and if the didn`t work in the old days they would
use soot or carbolic soap ( YAK ) :hihi::hihi: