WARNING: any Sheffield leasehold property owners?

Does anyone here own a leasehold house in Sheffield??

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to me, and to warn people of not falling for it.

I bought my house not far off 2 years ago, and like many houses in Sheffield its leasehold. My ground rent is 2 pounds a year. Since I moved in I haven't been contacted by my 'landlord' to pay any rent. I don't hold my deeds, the bank does so I don't have any details of the landlord. Recently I got a letter saying I owed £4 (which is correct) and that I may have other debts on my account. I sent a cheque for £4 and a week later they sent it back saying I owed the £4 but would not accept it until I paid the £229 admin costs for the late payment. They have also been phoning my mortgage centre and telling them I owe them money and threatening all sorts. My bank then rings me to tell me to sort it out. I then phone the landlord and get given a managers number which when I ring it, I only get a voicemail. I leave a message and he never returns my call. Meanwhile my 'debt' builds up. My bank are getting annoyed and so am I.

The landlord company is called Estates and Management ltd and is based in London. The letter they sent stated that my ground rent is owed whether demanded or not and that I am in breach of my lease and they will take me to court if I don't pay the £229.

Luckily I rang my solicitor and she has assured me that I owe them nothing but the £4. She said they have no right to demand admin costs and that they would never take you to court because they would never win and they know that. When you buy your house, your solicitor informs Estate and Management ltd (or whoever it is) of the change in deeds and that they are supposed to send you a bill for your first year or ground rent when it is due. My solicitor said, they never do send it, they wait till it's overdue then send you a fine. Its how they actually make their money, by scaring people with legal jargon and threats and by contacting your bank making you look bad to them. She has advised I resend the £4 cheque and if they send it back again, keep all letters and pay nothing until I move out at which point I will settle all outstanding rent.

I nearly paid it as I was worried, even though I'd never received a bill, I thought they had the right to fine you without demanding the rent. Estates and management buy all the leaseholds up around sheffield then make their money by doing this to people. Has this happended to anyone here? How can E&M get away with this? Surely it is illegal for them to send these letters stating incorrect law in it?

Tories robbing Tories, whatever next?

Some people have no shame.

Originally posted by mojoworking

I'm not sure what you mean by that or what the relevence is. Could you explain?

Eh? what's it got to do with ANY political party?

Originally posted by Foxxx

I'm not sure what you mean by that or what the relevence is. Could you explain?

Nothing to explain.

I'm sure we can all relate to your problem.

Life can be SO unfair sometimes, can't it?

I had a similar situation.

My ground rent was £11 per year, but we were offered the lease to our house for £500, inclusive of the "landlord's" legal fees.

I talked to a solicitor about it and he said that it was probably a bit expensive, but it was worth buying the lease just in case the landlord sold the lease on to someone else who might try to exploit it for more money.

So we started the process of buying the lease, but it took at least a year to sort out because of solicitor delays from the landlord, etc. In fact our solicitor nearly reported theirs to the Law Society for delaying such a simple process for so long.

Just before it was all finalised, and after I had paid to buy the lease I had a request from the landlord for the ground rent, which I ignored because I thought it was a mistake - we were just about to close the deal, and he already had £500 of my money.

The next thing I knew was that I had a letter from the landlord to say that he'd told our building society that we'd defaulted on our ground rent! This was followed up by a letter from the building society saying they'd add the amount owed onto my mortgage, and that the fact I was a defaulter would be put on my mortgage record! :loopy:

Needless to say I wasn't very pleased. It took me quite a while to sort the mess out, during which the lease sale finally went through.

I eventually got the building society to back down after I sent them a solicitor's letter confirming that I was now the lease owner, and that I couldn't owe a debt to myself. :rolleyes:

Nothing to explain.

I'm sure we can all relate to your problem.

Life can be SO unfair sometimes, can't it?

a) you can only relate if you own a leasehold house

b) it's not my problem, it's everyone's problems if they own a leasehold house and their landlord is Estate management ltd or similar company doing the same thing.

c) I am informing people so they don't get ripped off if this happens to them

Quit the sarcasm. Why bother posting if you have nothing constructive to say.

Have you been in this situation? It has nothing to do with policitics. It is to do with a company and others like it, trying to rip people off. "Tories robbing tories". a) why do you assume I am tory? b) this affects people in sheffield whom generally speaking do not vote tory.

I was trying to help other people.

I was trying to find out if anyone else has had this happen to them and if anyone on here knows how they get away with it.

Foxxx

Don't get upset. There are people on these boards who contribute useful stuff (like your post and the post about carcraft warranties) and there are those who have nothing to contribute so just wind people up.

Keep posting .......

Col S

Foxx, if youre solicitors has advised you already you seem to need to write a letter, including "my solicitor advises me that..."

Failing that, maybe trading standards?

My house is leasehold but I haven't paid for 10 years and neither as the previous owner for 6 years.

Is there a limit to when it can be claimed by the landowner?

I am prettysure the law has changed and leaseholders can force landlords to sell them the freehold, and I think there is some system for cheking the price. If the grief you are getting continues you might want to check this out with your solicitor.

Originally posted by Foxxx

a) you can only relate if you own a leasehold house

b) it's not my problem, it's everyone's problems if they own a leasehold house and their landlord is Estate management ltd or similar company doing the same thing.

c) I am informing people so they don't get ripped off if this happens to them

Quit the sarcasm. Why bother posting if you have nothing constructive to say.

Have you been in this situation? It has nothing to do with policitics. It is to do with a company and others like it, trying to rip people off. "Tories robbing tories". a) why do you assume I am tory? b) this affects people in sheffield whom generally speaking do not vote tory.

I was trying to help other people.

I was trying to find out if anyone else has had this happen to them and if anyone on here knows how they get away with it.

Steady on love, don't get your knickers in a twist.

Your petty-bourgeois views are just as welcome here as anyone elses.