Can a donkey stand in an election? (In the UK)

Town hall campaigners are set to make an ass out of local politicians by putting up a donkey as a candidate for mayor.

Marko is standing for the Society for a New Bulgaria party in Varna, Bulgaria on October 23,

The nag is promising hard work, no kickbacks and a mulish determination when he launches his political career.

He has been chosen as the locals don't think the current mayor Kiril Yordanov is doing a good enough job.

Campaign director Angel Dyankov said: 'Unlike the other mayoral candidates and politicians, Marko has a strong character, doesn't steal, doesn't lie, and gets the work done.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2042988/Donkey-stands-town-hall-post-Bulgarian-election.html#ixzz1ZKuoS8v4

Which got me thinking, could we stand a donkey in a an English election?

Perhaps against old Clegg?

We could have a whip round for the £500 required (unless they up it before the election to keep the poor out of politics)

I would say it's got a good chance of standing as it's got four legs,& we have already had clowns idiots bigots the list goes on:)

As has been said elsewhere, pin a red rosette on it and there are plenty of people in South Yorkshire who would vote for it (I think they can just about manage a big X with a crayon, but they'll need a picture of the donkey next to the box to help them along).

Of course they can - wouldnt be the first time a donkey's been elected in this country :hihi:

As has been said elsewhere, pin a red rosette on it and there are plenty of people in South Yorkshire who would vote for it (I think they can just about manage a big X with a crayon, but they'll need a picture of the donkey next to the box to help them along).

And down in the home counties you can pin a blue rosette on it and it'll be elected with a landslide majority! Works both ways you know.

Which got me thinking, could we stand a donkey in a an English election?

Perhaps against old Clegg?

Two in the same election? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Edited by CheekyBandit

And down in the home counties you can pin a blue rosette on it and it'll be elected with a landslide majority! Works both ways you know.
It does indeed, I rather like Surrey but it's just too southern really.

And the reply was a good example of why it would win over any Conservative MP ... You're point is?

And the reply was a good example of why it would win over any Conservative MP
Quite how?

... You're point is?
That people need to be 'challenged' to vote Labour.

In any of the Labour wards, the electorate would never even notice. ;)

Of course they can - wouldnt be the first time a donkey's been elected in this country :hihi:

Hi

you beat us to it, fact!!!

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Most politicans are jackasses, fact

Stranger things have happened.

A monkey stood for election as Mayor in Hartlepool a couple of elections ago...