View Full Version : Can a donkey stand in an election? (In the UK)

chem1st
29-09-2011, 10:34
Town hall campaigners are set to make an ass out of local politicians by putting up a donkey as a candidate for mayor.
Marko is standing for the Society for a New Bulgaria party in Varna, Bulgaria on October 23,
The nag is promising hard work, no kickbacks and a mulish determination when he launches his political career.
He has been chosen as the locals don't think the current mayor Kiril Yordanov is doing a good enough job.
Campaign director Angel Dyankov said: 'Unlike the other mayoral candidates and politicians, Marko has a strong character, doesn't steal, doesn't lie, and gets the work done.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2042988/Donkey-stands-town-hall-post-Bulgarian-election.html#ixzz1ZKuoS8v4

Which got me thinking, could we stand a donkey in a an English election?

Perhaps against old Clegg?

We could have a whip round for the 500 required (unless they up it before the election to keep the poor out of politics)

Appolo
29-09-2011, 10:43
I would say it's got a good chance of standing as it's got four legs,& we have already had clowns idiots bigots the list goes on:)

Conrod
29-09-2011, 11:01
As has been said elsewhere, pin a red rosette on it and there are plenty of people in South Yorkshire who would vote for it (I think they can just about manage a big X with a crayon, but they'll need a picture of the donkey next to the box to help them along).

Ghostrider
29-09-2011, 11:24
Of course they can - wouldnt be the first time a donkey's been elected in this country :hihi:

Stoatwobbler
29-09-2011, 11:32
As has been said elsewhere, pin a red rosette on it and there are plenty of people in South Yorkshire who would vote for it (I think they can just about manage a big X with a crayon, but they'll need a picture of the donkey next to the box to help them along).

And down in the home counties you can pin a blue rosette on it and it'll be elected with a landslide majority! Works both ways you know.

CheekyBandit
29-09-2011, 11:45
Which got me thinking, could we stand a donkey in a an English election?

Perhaps against old Clegg?

Two in the same election? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Conrod
29-09-2011, 15:19
And down in the home counties you can pin a blue rosette on it and it'll be elected with a landslide majority! Works both ways you know.It does indeed, I rather like Surrey but it's just too southern really.

Mecky
29-09-2011, 15:57

And the reply was a good example of why it would win over any Conservative MP ... You're point is?

Conrod
29-09-2011, 16:10
And the reply was a good example of why it would win over any Conservative MPQuite how?
... You're point is? That people need to be 'challenged' to vote Labour.

crookesey
29-09-2011, 16:11
In any of the Labour wards, the electorate would never even notice. ;)

LDeville
29-09-2011, 16:14
Of course they can - wouldnt be the first time a donkey's been elected in this country :hihi:

Hi

you beat us to it, fact!!!

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Most politicans are jackasses, fact

Plain Talker
29-09-2011, 16:56
Stranger things have happened.

A monkey stood for election as Mayor in Hartlepool a couple of elections ago...

LeMaquis
29-09-2011, 19:12
Stranger things have happened.

A monkey stood for election as Mayor in Hartlepool a couple of elections ago...

I think it was a bloke in a monkey suit.

Rich
29-09-2011, 19:31
A Monster Raving Loony stands for election every year, trouble is, no one's daft enough to vote for them! :lol:

denlin
29-09-2011, 20:35
A Monster Raving Loony stands for election every year, trouble is, no one's daft enough to vote for them! :lol:

Yes they did Rich and he's now PM:hihi::hihi::hihi: I used to like Lord Sutch, at least he admitted it:D

Mr Bojangles
29-09-2011, 20:44
In any of the Labour wards, the electorate would never even notice. ;)Oooh, bitchy. Truth hurts.

LDeville
30-09-2011, 14:08
Hi

We'd vote for a donkey/jackass/etc if we knew it was not lying, fact