View Full Version : Lord Haw Haw (William Joyce)

Paul Cocker
26-09-2011, 12:47
Quick question regarding Lord Haw Haw (William Joyce).

Did he at any time live in Sheffield? Someone this weekend swore blind he lived in Crookes, I'd never heard this before and doubt it's true.

So, apart from promising to level the city, did Lord Haw Haw have any ties to Sheffield?

Nigel Womersle
26-09-2011, 18:11
I know he lived in Ipswich at one time.

JayVee
26-09-2011, 21:59
I know he was caught by a bloke called Lickerish who kept the Little John pub in Hathersage After the war.

SCOTTY T
27-09-2011, 14:12
My grandma used to say that her dad taught lord haw haw how to swim at glossop rd baths.

jmdee
27-09-2011, 14:51
William Joyce was born in New York. As a child his family moved to Ireland, then at the age of 15 he and his family moved to London. Two weeks before the outbreak of WW2, he fled to Berlin, where he lived, working for the Nazi's until just before the end of the war.

He moved to Hamburg to avoid the allies, but was shot and wounded in the leg in a forested area near Flensburg. On being captured and returned to London,he was tried and executed for his crimes. There seems to be no reference to him having lived in Sheffield.

Quick question regarding Lord Haw Haw (William Joyce).

Did he at any time live in Sheffield? Someone this weekend swore blind he lived in Crookes, I'd never heard this before and doubt it's true.

So, apart from promising to level the city, did Lord Haw Haw have any ties to Sheffield?

Texas
27-09-2011, 18:03
So how come he got to swim up and down Glossop Road baths? Gaaiirmany calling, Gaaiirmany calling.

911wasalie
27-09-2011, 21:02
That was me doing my swimming lessons but I used to call myself lord or or which meant i could swim one length OR two OR none

Arthur Bell
03-10-2011, 00:01
Lord Haw Haw's real name was William Joyce. He was captured in March or April in 1945 in Northern Germany by British troops. I don't know what Regiment was involved in the capture but it might have been one of the Yorkshire Regiments which might explain a Sheffield connection. There are quite a few things which are shrouded in mystery. After we were bombed out in 1940, we went to live in Ashford near Bakewell. There was a woman there visiting the family living in a house known as the Rookery. It was Unity Mitford who was a well known Nazi sympathizer. She was supposed to be in prison. All the villages knew who she was, but you will find no mention of it anywhere in stuff you read.

bullerboY
03-10-2011, 12:01
Lord Haw Haw's real name was William Joyce. He was captured in March or April in 1945 in Northern Germany by British troops. I don't know what Regiment was involved in the capture but it might have been one of the Yorkshire Regiments which might explain a Sheffield connection. There are quite a few things which are shrouded in mystery. After we were bombed out in 1940, we went to live in Ashford near Bakewell. There was a woman there visiting the family living in a house known as the Rookery. It was Unity Mitford who was a well known Nazi sympathizer. She was supposed to be in prison. All the villages knew who she was, but you will find no mention of it anywhere in stuff you read.Could it be she was visiting her sister Deborah Duchess of Devonshire?

Arthur Bell
03-10-2011, 14:18
Could it be she was visiting her sister Deborah Duchess of Devonshire?

I didn't know about the Duchess being her sister. I'm sure that this explains it. My original point being that things happen that the public is kept in the dark about. Thanks for providing a logical answer.

johncocker
03-10-2011, 14:39
many years ago I new someone (a speaker from from speakers corner hyde park}who was in wandsworth prison the same time as william joyce.

who allways swore joyce was not a traitor but was a double agent who was betrayed:)

alex3659
03-10-2011, 15:42
I didn't know about the Duchess being her sister. I'm sure that this explains it. My original point being that things happen that the public is kept in the dark about. Thanks for providing a logical answer.

Unity Mitford was not in prison, her sister Diana was.

cuttsie
03-10-2011, 18:47
Could it be she was visiting her sister Deborah Duchess of Devonshire?
Pillars of society Nazi sympathisers never !

911wasalie
03-10-2011, 19:30
Edward V11 was a nazi sympathiser, he met the Germans in Spain and Churchill had him sent to Bahamas out of the way,but he wasn't the only one among the Royals.

alex3659
03-10-2011, 19:44
Edward V11 was a nazi sympathiser, he met the Germans in Spain and Churchill had him sent to Bahamas out of the way,but he wasn't the only one among the Royals.

Edward V11 died 29 years before the second world war broke out.

hillsbro
03-10-2011, 19:55
911wasalie was thinking of Edward VIII - who after his abdication did become Governor of the Bahamas and was therefore conveniently out of the way.

bullerboY
04-10-2011, 13:27
Not all the Mitford sisters were Nazi sympathisers but I do believe that Debbie and unity had tea with Adolph.

alex3659
04-10-2011, 13:43
Not all the Mitford sisters were Nazi sympathisers but I do believe that Debbie and unity had tea with Adolph.

Unity was obsessed with Hitler, Debbie and her mother had tea with him.

cuttsie
04-10-2011, 14:16
Debbie at Chatsworth! Blunketts mate never!

gabrielseven
04-10-2011, 14:25
Unity shot herself in the head but not fatally at the start of the War whilst still in Germany. She was brought home on a stretcher and was a recluse thereafter.

bullerboY
04-10-2011, 19:23
afraid so cuttsie

bullerboY
04-10-2011, 19:44
Debbies sister Diana Mitford was married to Sir Oswald Mosely leader of the British union of Fascists who was also the father of Max Moseley of formula one fame.

cuttsie
04-10-2011, 20:29
Debbie's sister Diana Mitford was married to Sir Oswald Mosley leader of the British union of Fascists who was also the father of Max Moseley of formula one fame.
And did these pillars of society also marry into the Kennedy,s clan.

alex3659
04-10-2011, 21:02
And did these pillars of society also marry into the Kennedy,s clan.

Yep................

RickyO
05-10-2011, 00:20
The only guilty World War 2 traitor that I can think of who didn't get executed was Norman Baillie-Stewart but he had upper class connections.

bullerboY
05-10-2011, 08:27
And did these pillars of society also marry into the Kennedy,s clan.Yes,and Kathleen Kennedy was allegedly having an affair with the guy who owned Wentwoth Woodhouse and they were both killed in a plane crash.

alex3659
05-10-2011, 08:29
Yes,and Kathleen Kennedy was allegedly having an affair with the guy who owned Wentwoth Woodhouse and they were both killed in a plane crash.

Nancy Mitford was related to JF Kennedy through her marraige.

cuttsie
05-10-2011, 12:27
Yes,and Kathleen Kennedy was allegedly having an affair with the guy who owned Wentwoth Woodhouse and they were both killed in a plane crash.
Well this lot of chavs make make you proud to be working class!

david weston
10-10-2011, 22:57
Mary Kenny has done an informative book on Joyce. There were more than one 'Lord Haw Haw' as intelligence couldn't distinguish, one was called Littler. Norman Bailley-Stewart was the subject of a book called 'The Officer in the Tower'. Oswald Mosley and his wife Diana are defensively reviewed on the IHR site ( all revisionist opinions ).