Do Cheap AND safe areas exist in Sheffield?

Hello! Sorry to post again but have just found out we are under offer on our flat so it looks like we will be moving sooner than we thought!

As per my previous post I am looking for a 2/3 bed house in a safe area to bring up a child. Without sounding like a snob preferably not in a council area, with good schools close by and a leafy street would be nice too. Our budget is around 75k.

Which areas would you recommend and which areas would you avoid like the plague. I have already been warned about Manor, Firth Park, Pitsmoor and Page Hall but are there any other areas with high crime rates?

Also which are the good/bad areas of Rotherham?

Any advice would be gratefully received as we are running out of time and the Estate Agents are not being honest.

AAAARRRGGGGHHH Major stress!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!

You gotta come up and drive around to see the areas.

See other posts for Lynseyscot

Answer to your question - Woodseats

Stannington.........Loxley....Go and look at those two and decide.

The views are green and you wont go away disapointed.

Move just over the 'border' into NE Derbyshire. Try Eckington/Killamarsh...very friendly areas and on the edge of the countryside. Both have village libraries, leisure centre and a swimming pool, good health facilities and the Council though not perfect is a whole heap better than Sheffield. All this and only 20min drive from both Sheffield and Chesterfield.

yeah Killamarsh is great after dark if you're a car thief. No police due to the county border.

M.

Originally posted by "Internetowl"

yeah Killamarsh is great after dark if you're a car thief. No police due to the county border.

M.

Explain please? Crime in Killamarsh is no better or worse than anywhere else these days.

Originally posted by "The Cycleracer"

Stannington.........Loxley....Go and look at those two and decide.

The views are green and you wont go away disapointed.

Got to agree. Some wonderful views and scenary.

Rotherham - avoid Canklow, East Herringthorpe, Maltby and Mexborough. All have high unemployment, higher crime rates, more derelict housing than the rest of the area and have reputations!

Housing in Rotherham is far far cheaper than in Sheffield but driving into Sheffield is hell in the rush hour.

Why not take a look at Dore, Fulwood, or Ecclesall? If you want good schools, low crime, leafy roads, etc, look no further. Also Totley is quite nice and you could probably get a 3 bed semi for around £120k.

Originally posted by "t020"

Why not take a look at Dore, Fulwood, or Ecclesall? If you want good schools, low crime, leafy roads, etc, look no further. Also Totley is quite nice and you could probably get a 3 bed semi for around £120k.

Could have bought a three bed semi when we were looking last year (before we bought at Crystal Peaks). £65000 it was on the market for!

B[censored]rd!!! Why dint I buy!!!

Meersbrook is a great place - good schools, Meersbrook and Graves parks nearby, a reputation for being a hippyish/green neighbourhood. Lots of happy looking kids. Little crime that I've seen. Close to town, close to Woodseats. Good bus routes to town. And although prices have risen recently, you will find a nice 3 bedroom house for your budget - I know cos there are two for sale on my road. As it's a great area to live in, houses here make a good investment as well :D

I've never had such friendly neighbours. Street parties, get togethers, everyone keeping an eye out for each other. If you don't at least look, you're really missing out IMO :wink: And there aren't many places in Sheffield I haven't lived.

Laura

Originally posted by Classic Rock

Rotherham - avoid Canklow, East Herringthorpe, Maltby and Mexborough. All have high unemployment, higher crime rates, more derelict housing than the rest of the area and have reputations!

Housing in Rotherham is far far cheaper than in Sheffield but driving into Sheffield is hell in the rush hour.

Not all bits of Maltby are bad. Plus is you dont have to pay stamp duty. On the house side of things there is only one nice road (Blyth road) where houses sell really quickly. They start at about £125,000 and go upto £275+. I've lived there for two years and the value of our house has gone up by £70k so it cant be all that bad.