View Full Version : Am I allowed to shoot an air rifle in my backgarden?

Mouseman
23-01-2006, 10:05
I'm not sure what the law is here. Anyone know if this is permitted?

dibsy
23-01-2006, 10:07
Neither do I but I know that my son and his father used to fire them at the wooden shed in the back garden and my brother used to do the same when we lived at home.

fox20thc
23-01-2006, 10:10
17 years and over
You may buy, borrow or hire an air rifle and its ammunition and may use it where you have permission to do so.

Aged 14 – 17 years
You may not buy or hire an air rifle or ammunition. You may not receive an air rifle or ammunition as a gift but you may borrow one. If you are under 17 then your air rifle and ammunition must be bought for you by someone over 17 – normally your parent, guardian or some other responsible adult.

If you are aged between 14 – 17 years you may use an air rifle on private premises without supervision with the consent of the occupier – normally the owner or tenant. However, if you allow a pellet to go outside of the premises whilst you are shooting then you commit a criminal offence.

It is against the law, in England and Wales, to fire an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway, if by doing so you cause any member of the public, using that right of way, to be injured, interrupted or endangered. This offence could be committed, for example, by someone on private property close to a road who uses an air rifle in a way which endangers people on the road.

depoix
23-01-2006, 10:10
I'm not sure what the law is here. Anyone know if this is permitted?no..not if you are within 25 yards of a puplic path/road or house, sorry

Mouseman
23-01-2006, 10:15
They'll get my air rifle when they pry it from my cold dead hand...

fox20thc
23-01-2006, 10:17
They'll get my air rifle when they pry it from my cold dead hand...

Why did you want to know Mouseman? Shooting mouses? :hihi:

Do you remember the BB Gun uproar when they kept sending Armed response to kids shooting them in the park.

Mouseman
23-01-2006, 10:23
I've always wanted to own and use one but I'm sure the rules were tightened up after Hungerford/Dunblane.

Just wanna shoot cans off the back fence when drunk is all...

fox20thc
23-01-2006, 10:25
This link may be helpful http://www.basc.org.uk/content/airriflepractice

Nate
23-01-2006, 10:37
I sneakily line cans up on the picnic bench i have in back garden...

and shoot from an open upstairs window.......

Yeah, its illegal.
Your best bet is to take it out to a local woods or something. Just buy a proper gun bag/case, or u'll be knicked.

All it takes is one neighbour to notice what you're doing and u will have a knock at the door.

LordChaverly
23-01-2006, 11:11
All it takes is one neighbour to notice what you're doing and u will have a knock at the door.

Years ago, a neighbour and his teenage sons used to take pot shots at birds flying over their garden. It wasn't long before they had a visit from one of their neighbours protesting about cruelty to defenceless birds. I believe she reported them to the local constabulary and that was the end of the local bird shoot.

Mouseman
23-01-2006, 11:12
I'd never use it to kill birds with - they're not even pests.

Hecate
23-01-2006, 11:17
I'd never use it to kill birds with - they're not even pests.
As long as you abide by the rules as mentioned above, and don't go shooting at living things, you should be ok.

LordChaverly
23-01-2006, 11:33
Surely the full rigour of the law would not apply to the shooting of rats, mice, snails, slugs, aphids, ants and similar garden fauna?

Mouseman
23-01-2006, 11:36
I wouldnt do it because it would give me no pleasure at all, not because it was/might be illegal.

Hecate
23-01-2006, 11:40
Surely the full rigour of the law would not apply to the shooting of rats, mice, snails, slugs, aphids, ants and similar garden fauna?
I had, of course, reckoned without imput from my fellow pedants. Should the original poster have the technical competence, good eyesight and all round marksmanship required to shoot an aphid with an air gun, I do indeed applaud him. Then again, not much skill required to knock off a few slugs; you'd be able to take the time to line up a really good shot, as I don't think you'd find a more slow-moving target. Apart from the snails. And actual stationary objects.

Hecate
23-01-2006, 11:43
I wouldnt do it because it would give me no pleasure at all, not because it was/might be illegal.
I'm glad to hear it :) . With some of the airgun-related threads that I've read on here, you never know what someone might want an airgun for.

Twiglet
23-01-2006, 11:49
Someone has already stated that if you are within 25 yards of a public road or path you cannot fire the airgun. There is no way anyone should be shooting an air rifle outdoors in any built up area. If there is any chance, however small, that there will be somebody behind the back fence or you might accidentally hit someone living around you, you must not shoot with it. There are far too many accidents with air guns that result in innocent people getting hurt.

diggy
23-01-2006, 12:06
I've always wanted to own and use one but I'm sure the rules were tightened up after Hungerford/Dunblane.

Suggest it's not a great idea to shoot things off your back fence when DRUNK if there is any possibility that you might miss and hit something or someone in the next garden. OR, if your neighbours know you're drunk, they may not feel very safe and report you!

Mouseman
23-01-2006, 12:40
I get drunk with the neighbours a lot.

dongle
23-01-2006, 12:57
what a prat
i think that been drunk in charge of a fire arm is illegal regardless if your 25mtrs from a highway,i would suggest going to bed would be a better idea than playing soldiers

MrH
23-01-2006, 13:11

a) I would guess that your back fence is within 25 yards of a public path / 50 yards of the centre of a public highway (whichever figure we are using!)

b) If you are drunk, you probably couldn't even hit the fence, never mind the cans.

Which is why, I think, the answer is NO!

Mouseman
23-01-2006, 13:34
what a prat
i think that been drunk in charge of a fire arm is illegal regardless if your 25mtrs from a highway,i would suggest going to bed would be a better idea than playing soldiers

I havent got the air rifle yet.

diggy
23-01-2006, 15:36
suggest you get a 'gadget' type pretend rifle, one that shoots water, air or spongy darts that won't harm anyone or anything then you can play to your hearts content whether you're drunk or not.

That would be the responsible thing to do.

Gavbriggs
16-08-2007, 08:53
there are various clubs to go to for target shooting but you can't go drunk!

It is also against the law, in England and Wales, to fire an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if this results in someone being injured, interrupted or endangered

interupted? after scanning the fire arms act, just for fun, and then going on to the basc site this made me laugh. you can shoot in your garden if it meets the requrements. but if your neighbour hears the shot fired and it interupts corrie or big brother as he thinks 'ooh somebody just shot an air rifle' that could be an offence!

i know it's pedantic but uk law can be construed any which way you want, the only true answer is a crime is only commited when some one makes a complaint.

babychickens
16-08-2007, 09:09
i know it's an old thread, but i'm going to reply anyway.

i'm fairly sure you can't legally shoot at cans on your own fence, because although you can shoot an air rifle on your own property (as long as you're not breaking any other laws by doing so, including shooting cats as they count as other peoples' property), as soon as you shoot a pellet onto someone else's property (ie miss a can...maybe you're a fantastic shot and this would never happen) you're breaking the law as you can't shoot on someone else's property without their permission.

evildrneil
16-08-2007, 09:31
Being drunk in charge of a loaded firearm (and that does include an air weapon IMSC) is indeed illegal and can carry a fine or custodial sentence.