Sign in to follow this  

What are Intake, Handsworth and Gleadless like?

Hello everyone!

I am hopefully moving to Sheffield soon with my partner and 21 month old toddler. We have visited but only got round to seeing the above areas which seemed ok, but there is only so much you can tell from a quick drive around (we drove up from Sussex so did not have much time).

Can anyone tell me what these areas are like? Out budget is 75k at the most and we are looking for a safe and preferably green area in which to buy a house. Are there any other areas that match our needs and budget with good schools nearby? I don't drive so good transport links would be nice too (don't want much do I?!!)

One last question is what is Rotherham like? Would anywhere in Rotherham match our requirements

Thanks!

PS Hi Linsey - hope u are ok and your visit to Sheffield goes ok - you never know, we could be neighbours soon if we both find the right area!

hi ya Jo and others, I'll be up Sheffield way this weekend and I am gonna look at a few houses too.

Can anyone tell me about Aston?

Firstly to Jo, the areas you mention are OK, about 5 miles out of town all got good communities with shops etc, IMHO Handsworth is the best area, Gleadless depends where as this covers a big area and a lot of Council houses/flats ect.

Rotherham has some nice areas and bad areas, generally a little cheaper than Sheffield, no way near as good. But then I am biased.

Lynsey, Aston is good but is nearer to Rotherham than Sheffield, about 12 miles out of town, lots of new housing going up on the dual carriage way. May be a bit out of your price range though, get the property guide (Sheffield Telegraph when you get hear, I just read it and there are loads of houses in all areas) Let us know what you have been to visit when you get back on line and I will advise.

Well, I live in Aston. It's not a bad place, although like any town, some places are better than others. It depends where in Aston your prospective house is.

Good points: Generally peacefull, not that much trouble. Close to the motorway, good bus service to Sheffield.

Bad points: You have to drive to the supermarket - the nearest ones being Crystal Peaks or Handsworth.

About Rotherham: It's a big place - some of it is nice, some of it isn't.

Originally posted by "mikey"

Firstly to Jo, the areas you mention are OK, about 5 miles out of town all got good communities with shops etc, IMHO Handsworth is the best area, Gleadless depends where as this covers a big area and a lot of Council houses/flats ect.

Gleadless is a massive place ;)

the closer to the city borders in gleadless is better/nicer IMO

thanks all, for advice.

Does anyone know of any other good website about Sheffield with pictures e.t.c?

rotherham is toytown! and every thing is rusty?

best area's in sheffield to live are Wybourn, Manor Park and Pye Bank.

:)

Originally posted by "Internetowl"

rotherham is toytown! and every thing is rusty?

best area's in sheffield to live are Wybourn, Manor Park and Pye Bank.

:)

Are you the one that nicked Bob Monkhouses joke book or what.

Your having a laugh, or i hope so but if not you need help. :shock:

I agree with you InternetOwl!!!!!!!!!!

Chloé

cycler - I am but taking the edited, then again Longley's not much better down by the Greens....

Chloe - Manor is too lively after dark ;)

OOOh......now now

Internetowl........It is where i live, all nice and private plenty of trees and very very Green.........

:oops: You seem a little :x ,never mind 40s humour maybe not your strong point.

Bye the way missed out on where you live, anywhere nicer than Longley.

Look for the out of town areas. Sheffield carries a price premium for no advantange really when you could find a decent area in Rotherham, say the south side of Broom for a lot less. Or somewhere like Anston. But you're moving further out then.