MOT - am I being ripped off?

Just had my Ford Focus MOT'd at Carnalls in Crookes. Its failed (of course) and they're looking at 700 pounds for it to be repaired. The thing is I have no idea if they're fleecing me or if it really will cost that much!

Here's what it failed on:

Leaking power steering pump

Steering rack is leaking

2 tyres need replacing

obviously that includes labour too

So any help/advice would be gratefully received! I nearly fainted when he told me :(

Cheers

Alex

I got my tyres replaced and the balancing done at Carnells and the counter weight fell off while my fiance was driving down the M1 later that week.

I certainly wouldn't use them again.

I wold take it somewhere else and see if they pick up the same faults, boviously don't mention that it was been somewhere else. Let us know what happens.

It does sound a bit steep doesnt it?

I had this conversation with my friend in the pub earlier this week. We've both recently had our cars in for MOT. Mine was cheap and only had a couple of very minor probs which were obvious. But as my friend said, cos we dont know anything about it, we dont know if we are getting ripped off or not.

My friend suggested that schools should teach minor vehicle servicing instead of woodwork or metalwork, then we would know what we are dealing with. Its not a bad idea, maybe not practical as it wouldnt be easy, especially with today's overloaded curriculum. I have always thought I might like to go to a car maintenance class but never got around to it.

In answer to your query, the only way you'll know is if you take it elsewhere, and this isnt always practical.

If Carnalls is the garage on Mulehouse Road, I would give them a wide berth myself.

:confused:

oh no what have i done!?

right I'll try taking it somewhere else. Should of seen the warning signs when every other garage I rang was full for up to a week but they could get me in the next day! Grrrr

I need a stiff drink.

When I had my focus I had entire steering rack replaced for £300 (although it wasnt a genuine ford part) was a full days labour from mechanic. I think what they are quoting is a bit steep, Tyres were about £30 each.

I very much doubt that the power steering pump is leaking as well as the steering rack, think it will be one or the other.

I would take it to another garage and have MOT done again! see if it turns up the same problems

mike

Originally posted by AGB1

Just had my Ford Focus MOT'd at Carnalls in Crookes. Its failed (of course) and they're looking at 700 pounds for it to be repaired. The thing is I have no idea if they're fleecing me or if it really will cost that much!

Here's what it failed on:

Leaking power steering pump

Steering rack is leaking

2 tyres need replacing

obviously that includes labour too

So any help/advice would be gratefully received! I nearly fainted when he told me :(

Cheers

Alex

I always take my cars to Thorpes in Thurgoland. They don't do repairs so have no incentive to "find" problems, they do the test while you wait, although there may be a queue, invite you to watch if you wish and all for a discounted price.

I can reccommend Leader Road Garage just off Middlewood Road. You certainly won't get ripped off there, they don't need to work like that. Sounds like Carnalls are trying it on to me.

I take my cars to Melvin at M&E motors near the B&Q on queens road. he does not do the MOT's himself tho but takes it to clarkes, he just does any work.

good luck

Its worth mentioning that once a car has a failure certificate, that is then registered on the Dept of Transport database. Wherever you take it after that they know it has failed an MoT.

Just go and get the work done elsewhere, you don't have to have it done at the MoT station!!