What ever happened to the fish?

What ever happened to the fish in the hole in the road?

Exactly.

I heard they were left in situ. How mean would that be? But you can just imagine them not wanting to spend money to remove the poor things.

BTW many people don't believe me that there were fish down there, even people who used it often. Must have been doing the famous 'keep walking, look neither left nor right' through there.

And how did they feed the fish, anyway?

Laura

I remember gazing at them when I was a kid, it also used to be a good meeting point. "meet me at the fish tank"

Whales? Fish? maybe you got these mixed up.

Originally posted by "senseofplace"

Exactly.

I heard they were left in situ. How mean would that be? But you can just imagine them not wanting to spend money to remove the poor things.

BTW many people don't believe me that there were fish down there, even people who used it often. Must have been doing the famous 'keep walking, look neither left nor right' through there.

Laura

I am sure I remember someone dropping food in from the top. I was only young so could be wrong. There was some whoppers in there though, wasn't there?

Originally posted by "Lickszz"

Exactly.

Laura

I am sure I remember someone dropping food in from the top. I was only young so could be wrong. There was some whoppers in there though, wasn't there?

any whales lol?

Originally posted by "Jon"

Exactly.

Laura

any whales lol?

No, looked like Chubb/Carp/Tench as far as I can remember. Can't confirm your Whale story unfortunately. :lol:

Originally posted by "Lickszz"

Exactly.

Laura

any whales lol?
must have been some weird dream i had as a kid lol

No, looked like Chubb/Carp/Tench as far as I can remember. Can't confirm your Whale story unfortunately. :lol:

Wasn't there a door by the side of the tank or somewhere near? Probably allowed access to feed the fish and keep the tank clean etc. They certainly were getting quite big just before they pulled the plug - not literally (I hope !)

Jim

lol, they are probably roaming the sheffield sewerage system :lol:

they could be mutant fish now under Sheffield's streets :lol:

The 'hole in the road' - a giant open topped subway/roundabout that allowed you to get from Fitzalan Square to High Street. There were several ways in/out via ramps or escalators. The escalators could be quite entertaining - but that's another topic!

Jim