Sign in to follow this  

Visual impairment/special needs - parents advice

Hi, we are hoping to find a nice area to live in Sheffield. My young daughter has a sight impairment and I was hoping to hear from any parents with chilren with visual impairments or other special needs to see what sort of support they recieved in the area they live in.

Hi. My son has a profound hearing impairment, VI and various other disabilities. We have found the health team here fantastic, including our local health visitor (we live in Frecheville). There are various groups who arrange parties, trips out and such like. SIGN, up at Rygate will be able to give you all the information you need. If you phone the children's hospital on 2717000 and ask for the number for Rygate they should be able to help you out. The education my son receives is also second to none. He is in a special unit in mainstream school and thriving. Transport is available for children with special needs to take them to school and back if it is out of their catchment area. Good luck

Originally posted by rjperrelli

Hi. My son has a profound hearing impairment, VI and various other disabilities. We have found the health team here fantastic, including our local health visitor (we live in Frecheville). There are various groups who arrange parties, trips out and such like. SIGN, up at Rygate will be able to give you all the information you need. If you phone the children's hospital on 2717000 and ask for the number for Rygate they should be able to help you out. The education my son receives is also second to none. He is in a special unit in mainstream school and thriving. Transport is available for children with special needs to take them to school and back if it is out of their catchment area. Good luck

I know from experience though that the School run service from Taxi companies can be unreliable at the best of times... As I had a Taxi to and from when I went to Gleadless Valley from 1987 to 1992, and they were often turning up either late or far too early, once the guy turned up at 7.30 AM, I was still in bed FFS! Did he wait for me? Nope :rant: so we had to send for another Taxi when I'd got up, had breakfast and got ready, so I was consequently late.. I only escaped detention for it cos the head of the special needs unit had words with the teachers...

I agree that transport can be unreliable, but at least it is an option!