View Full Version : Credit Expert rip off!

Bonzo77
17-07-2011, 09:17
Has anyone else had an encounter with Credit Expert?

I joined them in December to take advantage of a 20 cash back offer.
I then tried to log on to cancel my account and their site would not accept my log in details.

Since then they have continued to take a fee from my account every month. I have emailed them to cancel my account but because it is in there terms and conditions that I have to call them to close my account they are refusing to refund my fees!

It's only 5p per minute to call them but why should I pay to resolve a problem caused by them?

My account is now closed and my bank have refunded my fees for me. I am currently taking my complaint to the Ombudsman.

Anyone had problems with these scammers?

alchresearch
17-07-2011, 12:24
I've used them but not had any problems.

Yes, they are quite picky with regards to log in details. But with good reason - if someone got hold of this information there's a lot of data there to cause you major fraud.

When you cancel you are kept on the phone about 20 minutes, but it does state that you must telephone to cancel your account, you can't do it online.

Antics^^
17-07-2011, 15:33
Never had any problems either. Took me about 5 minutes to cancel on the phone, they'll ask you the reason for cancelling.

Try the below numbers to cancel, from 'SayNoTo0870'

0115 935 6662

0800 5610083

Antics^^
17-07-2011, 15:36
My account is now closed and my bank have refunded my fees for me. I am currently taking my complaint to the Ombudsman.

If you haven't even tried to resolve the problem, i.e. phoning the company, then I'm doubtful the Ombudsman will be too interested.

Bonzo77
17-07-2011, 16:35
I've used them but not had any problems.

Yes, they are quite picky with regards to log in details. But with good reason - if someone got hold of this information there's a lot of data there to cause you major fraud.

When you cancel you are kept on the phone about 20 minutes, but it does state that you must telephone to cancel your account, you can't do it online.

It's a scam, nothing else to it.

Why would anyone want to pay 7.99 a month to have access to their credit rating?

And, why should people have to call them, paying 5p a minute to resolve a problem that is their fault in the first place!?

As soonas I told my bank what had happened they saidthat they get this same complaint about credit expert all the time.

There is no reason to make people call them to cancel their accounts other than to try and convince them to not cancel.

Scammers, stay away!!

relost
17-07-2011, 16:44

Why would anyone want to pay 7.99 a month to have access to their credit rating?

And, why should people have to call them, paying 5p a minute to resolve a problem that is their fault in the first place!?

As soonas I told my bank what had happened they saidthat they get this same complaint about credit expert all the time.

There is no reason to make people call them to cancel their accounts other than to try and convince them to not cancel.

Scammers, stay away!!

In all fairness, they do send you out password and pin info to your house via mail, which you are meant to keep safe in case you ever did need to log in. If you still have that letter and you haven't changed your log ins, then surely you can complain to them that they have denied you access to the online account?

I was with them, but when I cancelled before the payments came out, I simply logged in using the info they had mailed out to me.

Do you not have to call them to answer security questions? As surely anybody could access the account otherwise?

Rupert_Baehr
17-07-2011, 16:45

Anyone had problems with these scammers?

And your bank will no doubt, have charged them an extortionate amusingly large fee for each refund.

(Been there, done that. - I was upset about the over-charge, but the bank fees [the fees they debited the people who had tried to rip me off] were really impressive..)

Don't get mad ... get even.

Bonzo77
17-07-2011, 16:48
If you haven't even tried to resolve the problem, i.e. phoning the company, then I'm doubtful the Ombudsman will be too interested.

I emailed them and told them that their lon in page would not accept my memorable name. I was typing in the correct name by the way, my sons name. It was an error at their end!

The Ombudsman have already taken my complaint on. It seems that credit expert have a bit of a reputation!

ricgem2002
17-07-2011, 17:14

Scammers, stay away!! seeing as you started this thread cant you answer this for yourself (my bold ):hihi::hihi::hihi:

sccsux
17-07-2011, 18:44
When you cancel you are kept on the phone about 20 minutes, but it does state that you must telephone to cancel your account

That could possibly qualify for unfair terms & conditions.

you can't do it online.

Do you sign up online?

Bonzo77
17-07-2011, 18:56

seeing as you started this thread cant you answer this for yourself (my bold ):hihi::hihi::hihi:

Read my opening post and you'll see why I joined them!

Bonzo77
17-07-2011, 18:58
That could possibly qualify for unfair terms & conditions.

Do you sign up online?

Yes you do sign up online.

Bonjon
18-07-2011, 08:47
7.99 p/m is a lot less than if someone stole your identity, i'm with them and they email me about any activity on my account.

I1L2T3
18-07-2011, 09:06

It's not a scam. It's overpriced, plays on fear and has very precise T&Cs in the contract you take out.

The other issue with this kind of service is that there are two other credit reference agencies - equifax, experian and call credit are the three - and to get a complete picture of your credit record you really need to see reports from all of them. To have the same kind of service as credit expert for all three agencies will set you back 200+ a year.

The best thing to do is to make a statutory request for your report from each agency, say every quarter. That will cost you 2 per report request - 24 for the year to access your records from all three agencies on a regular basis.

studentbob
18-07-2011, 09:17
The fact that these companies exist is worrying enough - syptomatic of a society that worships money, where an individual who has fallen from grace is banished from the alter of credit.
But what is possibly worse, and drowning in irony (or hypocrisy - you choose), is when they purport to be protecting you from being swindled, whilst at the same time using dubious tactics to try and extract as much money from you as possible.

Pidgeon
18-07-2011, 09:48
I had problems with them.

First of all they charged me when it was spose to be free for 30 days, then when I forgot one of the 2 passwords you use, i couldn't get in to cancel the direct debits, so in the end I cancelled my card and got a new one just to stop the payments.

scottf
18-07-2011, 13:51
So your too tight to pay 5p a minute in order to cancel something thats 7.99 a month??

thats whats called a no brainer in my book- just ring them and get it cancelled and stop being tight. Yes you shouldn't HAVE to pay but it will cost u less than paying month after month and if you really want to complain then go get your 5p per minute back from them.

Cyclone
18-07-2011, 14:27
It's free to cancel a direct debit through your bank, do that and then let them contact you.

alchresearch
19-07-2011, 09:02
I find it amusing how the OP only did it to wangle 20 out of them but it cost more than 20 in hassle!

alex3659
19-07-2011, 09:38
I find it amusing how the OP only did it to wangle 20 out of them but it cost more than 20 in hassle!

I thought that myself, who was scamming who in this instance?.

Bonzo77
20-07-2011, 08:09
So your too tight to pay 5p a minute in order to cancel something thats 7.99 a month??

thats whats called a no brainer in my book- just ring them and get it cancelled and stop being tight. Yes you shouldn't HAVE to pay but it will cost u less than paying month after month and if you really want to complain then go get your 5p per minute back from them.

It's got sod all to do with being tight. 7.99 a month is nothing to me. However, I do not accept being ripped off for a single penny by anyone!

They advertised 20 cashback for signing up, I didn't get this either! Then when I tried to log on the site would not accept my details, which I'm 100% sure were correct. They would not resolve anything via email and expected me to call them to sort it out!

I know it's only 5p a min but 5p a min adds up when they have 1'000's of calls a day from suckers like me!

Bonzo77
20-07-2011, 08:14

You find it amusing that a company can con a member of the public so easily?

I think I've cost their admin teams more than the 20 I signed up to get!

It's ironic, I have a good credit history (I don't need to pay 7.99 a month to know that) but now that I've joined a credit reference agency I have a notice of correction on my file!!

Bonzo77
20-07-2011, 08:16
I thought that myself, who was scamming who in this instance?.

Are you trying to tell me that you wouldn't accept a free 20 gift if someone offered it to you?

robochop
03-08-2011, 21:40
Ermmm....

If you would still like to cancel your Credit Expert membership you can do so by contacting our team on free phone 0800 561 0083. (Mon-Fri 9am–6pm, Sat 9am–1pm, Sun closed.)

Sure but what possible reason do you have for not wanting to spend 0p a minutes on a call...0800 numbers ARE still free aren't they? Or were you too simple to have considered finding their FAQ page and typing in "cancel".

Bonzo77
03-08-2011, 22:56
Sure but what possible reason do you have for not wanting to spend 0p a minutes on a call...0800 numbers ARE still free aren't they? Or were you too simple to have considered finding their FAQ page and typing in "cancel".

Ermm........

This is a copy of there email to me:

If you require further information on this, please call us on 0844 481 0800*

Our lines are open Monday-Friday 8am until 7pm and Saturday 8am until 4pm.

* Calls cost 5p per minute from a BT landline; calls from other networks may vary and include a connection fee. Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.

If you can see, with your eyes, it says calls cost 5p per min.

Their website didn't recognise my information, they wouldn't help me regarding this issue vis email so they asked me to phone them. When I told them I didn't want to phone them they told me I had to call to cancel which I wasn't going to do. I made my application on line so therefore I can cancel online!

Don't try and patronise me you sarcastic ******

robochop
04-08-2011, 00:10
You made an application online and agreed to their T&C's online which stipulates that you have to call to cancel. Therefore you cannot cancel online.

It's their terms not yours. Their database. Their website.

You tick that box agreeing that you are happy with this if they show you what banks perceive you as.

Alternatively you can accept that they have this power over us and learn to play their system.

There's no rip-off. See what there is for free then call to cancx. If you are smart you know the way to see it for free every time to fancy it. Only idiots let it go over the 30 days and get charged...and you know you will never see it refunded if you never even bothered calling.

That website has a hole in it the size of the moon...it can be tricked into a freebie every time. Suckah!

Cyclone
04-08-2011, 08:23
Ermm........

* Calls cost 5p per minute from a BT landline; calls from other networks may vary and include a connection fee. Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.

Their website didn't recognise my information, they wouldn't help me regarding this issue vis email so they asked me to phone them. When I told them I didn't want to phone them they told me I had to call to cancel which I wasn't going to do. I made my application on line so therefore I can cancel online!

2 seconds on google would have got you this information as well

Credit Expert 0844 481 0800 0800 5610083 For cancelling your subscription & membership

auto98uk
04-08-2011, 08:36
Ermm........

Assuming their database hadn't been compromised, it would have recognised the data that you used when you registered. Most likely is that you made an error when registering. They don't suddenly "change".

robochop
04-08-2011, 19:29
I'd say a good 90% of people who called CredEx when I worked there didn't follow the instructions to set their report up properly, then act all hostile when told that just putting one address going back a year is not going to generate them a 6 year credit history, and then when you offer to put it on suddenly protest that they don't want to put old addresses in just in case "somebody living there now makes my score go down" and that "it's not relavent as I don't live there now" :hihi:

So they go to the site trying to find their info, then act blase when told they haven't seen any more than a fraction of it. "I'm happy with what I've seen" ...yup the lenders are happy they saw your defaulted accounts too...shame you didn't see them....

Oh and "I've got a 999 SCORE SO IT DOESN'T MATTER"....yup it's 999 because you didn't set it up right to show your 5h1t credit history...still you go on kidding yourself...who wants their day spoiling by being told the've really got a score of 300?

They generally then say that they don't want to take credit (funny given the 5 applications made the previous week which has caned their score).

Assuming their database hadn't been compromised, it would have recognised the data that you used when you registered. Most likely is that you made an error when registering. They don't suddenly "change".

He probably spelled his name wrong...doesn't seem the brightest of sparks...

Bonzo77
08-08-2011, 10:43
I'd say a good 90% of people who called CredEx when I worked there didn't follow the instructions to set their report up properly, then act all hostile when told that just putting one address going back a year is not going to generate them a 6 year credit history, and then when you offer to put it on suddenly protest that they don't want to put old addresses in just in case "somebody living there now makes my score go down" and that "it's not relavent as I don't live there now" :hihi:

So they go to the site trying to find their info, then act blase when told they haven't seen any more than a fraction of it. "I'm happy with what I've seen" ...yup the lenders are happy they saw your defaulted accounts too...shame you didn't see them....

Oh and "I've got a 999 SCORE SO IT DOESN'T MATTER"....yup it's 999 because you didn't set it up right to show your 5h1t credit history...still you go on kidding yourself...who wants their day spoiling by being told the've really got a score of 300?

They generally then say that they don't want to take credit (funny given the 5 applications made the previous week which has caned their score).

He probably spelled his name wrong...doesn't seem the brightest of sparks...

I'm not the brightest of sparks?? You are the one working for credit expert!! Ha ha ha!!! What a joker!!

Anyway, just to let you know, Credit Expert are in the wrong here!

I took my complaint to the Ombudsman and they supported me every step of the way! Credit Expert messed up my original online application (this is why I never received my free 20).

I've now had all my money refunded and the 20 I should have received as a free gift! Bonus!

What a bunch of con men! Stay away is my advice! Plus 7.99 a month is an absolute rip off just to have access to your credit report!

barvas11
26-09-2012, 13:07
This Company is a RIPP OFF!!! Stay away!!!
Changing your credit card won't help. I signed up with them in February 2012 and my credit card had expired in the same month. I kept getting emails from them saying if I won't update my credit card they will cancel my account. I have just discovered that they are allowed to obtain my credit card details from Visa and charge me as per they stupid contract!
Why were they saying that they don't have my credit card details if they have them?!
Assho***!!!
Bank of Scotland is refusing to open a credit card dispute as well!!!

killershadow
23-02-2013, 13:14
This company is a RIP OFF!!! BIG TIME.

I joined with them for a long time and i moved address AND i DID make them aware.
For a few months the score i was getting was GOOD and therefore i thought i see if i can get a loan just to consolodate my payments into one to avoid headaches trying to remember all the payment dates etc etc.

The loan was applied THROUGH credit forkup company and was rejected SO i tried a few times as i thought maybe there was a web page error and it kept rejecting.

So i contacted the muppets who said the score i am seeing is not the REAL score as i have moved address....................BUT i did tell them the move AND how badly is the score effected by a move to a street away????? Now due to the loan applications my score has now gone down and they refused to refund me, however i got some of my money back through my bank (raised a dispute) when i asked them to cancel membership too as well as the muppets.

One thing that made me laugh was what they said via email and verbal -> THE SCORE SEEN IS JUST A GUIDENCE ONLY AND THE COMPANIES WILL USE A SIMILAR SCORING SYSTEM TO SEE IF YOU PASS CREDIT ETC.

SO my argument is I BEEN PAYING FOR SOMETHING THAT IS NOT ACTUALLY USED???:rant::rant::rant:

MAYBE SHOULD HAVE PAID THEM WITH MONOPOLY MONEY CUZ IT IS CLASSED AS MONEY LOL ^^

The best way to get good score is try and clear off most of the credit cards etc etc, you will know what they are etc.

++++ If you just want to give money way rather than charities then the best way to waste it and get INCORRECT info is by paying credit NONexperts++++

Kind regards

andyofborg
23-02-2013, 13:21
Are you trying to tell me that you wouldn't accept a free 20 gift if someone offered it to you?

in my experience "free" gifts are seldom free

Leah-Lacie
23-02-2013, 13:29
This company is a RIP OFF!!! BIG TIME.

I joined with them for a long time and i moved address AND i DID make them aware.
For a few months the score i was getting was GOOD and therefore i thought i see if i can get a loan just to consolodate my payments into one to avoid headaches trying to remember all the payment dates etc etc.

The loan was applied THROUGH credit forkup company and was rejected SO i tried a few times as i thought maybe there was a web page error and it kept rejecting.

So i contacted the muppets who said the score i am seeing is not the REAL score as i have moved address....................BUT i did tell them the move AND how badly is the score effected by a move to a street away????? Now due to the loan applications my score has now gone down and they refused to refund me, however i got some of my money back through my bank (raised a dispute) when i asked them to cancel membership too as well as the muppets.

One thing that made me laugh was what they said via email and verbal -> THE SCORE SEEN IS JUST A GUIDENCE ONLY AND THE COMPANIES WILL USE A SIMILAR SCORING SYSTEM TO SEE IF YOU PASS CREDIT ETC.

SO my argument is I BEEN PAYING FOR SOMETHING THAT IS NOT ACTUALLY USED???:rant::rant::rant:

MAYBE SHOULD HAVE PAID THEM WITH MONOPOLY MONEY CUZ IT IS CLASSED AS MONEY LOL ^^

The best way to get good score is try and clear off most of the credit cards etc etc, you will know what they are etc.

++++ If you just want to give money way rather than charities then the best way to waste it and get INCORRECT info is by paying credit NONexperts++++

Kind regards

A move of address can make a big difference, as can starting a new job.

Quite a few creditors won't lend to someone who hasn't been in the same job for 12 months or lived at their address for over 3 years, for example. My friend actually has a phone contract she couldn't renew and upgrade to due moving home and job!

GRUSS
23-02-2013, 14:21
I used these for a couple of years while I sorted my terrible finances out, always very helpful and no problems when I canceled last year. In the second year I was with them I paid 3.50 a month, there are cheaper options out there and I believe you can check your report for free if your willing to do the digging...

Also check out Martin Lewis's site, the chap off radio 2 and watchdog. Totally sorted me out with my debt (18k)

killershadow
24-02-2013, 13:35
Again i will repeat myself, I was not in the wrong, credit nonexpert was as they failed to update my details ^^ And they still refuse to take blame.

And also when they say the score is similar to what other companies use?? Why pay them when you not actually seeing the 'REAL' score?

In regards to free gifts? Nothing comes for free...........

Leah-Lacie
24-02-2013, 15:00
Again i will repeat myself, I was not in the wrong, credit nonexpert was as they failed to update my details ^^ And they still refuse to take blame.

And also when they say the score is similar to what other companies use?? Why pay them when you not actually seeing the 'REAL' score?

In regards to free gifts? Nothing comes for free...........

When you update your details with them though, its probably for the purposes of them sending letters etc and not to update your credit file. Once you have links to your new address via existing credit, is when your score would change, ie when you changed your address on your existing bills and there was a record on file of you having moved.
My friends issue was that the address she now lived in had had so much bad credit linked with it in the past that she couldn't be considered for anything without doing a disassociation with all the former residents. After she had done that, her credit score was still low due to not having lived there for very long.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

killershadow
25-02-2013, 13:20
When you update your details with them though, its probably for the purposes of them sending letters etc and not to update your credit file. Once you have links to your new address via existing credit, is when your score would change, ie when you changed your address on your existing bills and there was a record on file of you having moved.
My friends issue was that the address she now lived in had had so much bad credit linked with it in the past that she couldn't be considered for anything without doing a disassociation with all the former residents. After she had done that, her credit score was still low due to not having lived there for very long.

My issue is credit NONexpert blaming me and not refunding the payments (which i do not care about now- just the principle). AND they confirmed the score they show is NOT the same as the loan company etc etc will USE!!!.
So been paying for something that is not 'real'^^
Nor have they mentioned anything in the lines you have.

I do not care about them no more, you carry on paying them mongs if you feel you should. Just posting to help other potential fools like me from joining them muppets!

Leah-Lacie
25-02-2013, 13:25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah-Lacie

My issue is credit NONexpert blaming me and not refunding the payments (which i do not care about now- just the principle). AND they confirmed the score they show is NOT the same as the loan company etc etc will USE!!!.
So been paying for something that is not 'real'^^
Nor have they mentioned anything in the lines you have.

I do not care about them no more, you carry on paying them mongs if you feel you should. Just posting to help other potential fools like me from joining them muppets!

I'd never dream of subcribing to them even for a freebie don't worry :hihi:

When they told you the creditors might use something 'similar'... maybe they do the credit check via another company, such as Experian. They may well rate you differently, not sure though!

killershadow
25-02-2013, 14:12
I'd never dream of subcribing to them even for a freebie don't worry :hihi:

When they told you the creditors might use something 'similar'... maybe they do the credit check via another company, such as Experian. They may well rate you differently, not sure though!

They have made it clear in writing that the score i see is NOT real^^
So my argument is why they took money off me for something that mislead me....BUT on their website it mentions that this is the score companies look at........contradicting information if you know what i mean. :loopy: