View Full Version : Can I buy Gelish nail products?

iphonelover
28-06-2011, 19:52
I want to di gellish at home but 'apparently' i need to be a qualified nail technician, i only want to do them on myself. Can i buy them through a secondary company/person? Thanks

shphotos
28-06-2011, 20:05
ebay.

If its the same gelish you are on about then here's a link to some:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=gelish&_dmpt=UK_Health_Beauty_Nails_Manicure_Pedicure_CA&_sc=1&_sop=15&_trksid=p3286.c0.m301

iphonelover
28-06-2011, 21:03
ebay.

If its the same gelish you are on about then here's a link to some:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=gelish&_dmpt=UK_Health_Beauty_Nails_Manicure_Pedicure_CA&_sc=1&_sop=15&_trksid=p3286.c0.m301

Thanks, how come the harmony company wont sell it to unqualified people but they know people on ebay do? Surely they are losing money.

Do you know anything about nails? Im wanting to get a led or uva lamp and some gellish stuff so i can do my own. Any idea of trusted sellers? Thanks

laura16
29-06-2011, 06:23
The problem with eBay is you can never be quite sure what you are getting. Other places don't sell to the public to try and keep it a proffessional product that means you are getting a hugh quality service that you can't buy and do yourself.

However some of the other brands you can buy without training

shphotos
29-06-2011, 08:51
i think because the items on ebay are from america they might have a different policy over there or outlet for these things. England seems to like making things "exclusive" a lot.

If you want a bash at something fun with nails there is this following website which i have bought from and it gives a very professional finish with ease:

http://www.konad.co.uk/cms/

think it worked out at about 16 for a double sided stamper, 1 stamp plate, a plate holder, a scraper to get rid of the excess nail polish and postage and packaging.

Leah-Lacie
29-06-2011, 08:58
Thanks, how come the harmony company wont sell it to unqualified people but they know people on ebay do? Surely they are losing money.

Of course its possible that sellers on eBay are trained, and then buy in bulk to sell at a profit :)

Leah-Lacie
29-06-2011, 08:59
Or it may well be like the eBay Mac make up - most is fake.

Could be a cheap product with a fake label

shphotos
29-06-2011, 09:24
i doubt the gelish will be fake. It's more likely that people can get hold of the stuff and know its sellable.

But like i said, if she wants to try konad instead then i know from personal experience it is cheaper than gelish, is available for the public to buy, actually does the job it says it does and turns up quite quickly through your letterbox.

The thing i like about the konad stampers is i am terrible with using my left hand for detail and this makes it a million times easier.

iphonelover
30-06-2011, 00:22
Thanks, ive found lots of it on ebay and new lamps at about 70. Anyone know if this is reasonable for a new lamp? thanks

iphonelover
08-07-2011, 15:13
I cant buy off ebay, probs with paypal, amazon dont have any gelish. Where can I buy some from please? Thanks

iphonelover
08-07-2011, 16:07
If your a nail technician can you pm me please? I need to ask about products for my nails. Many thanks

INFIN81
08-07-2011, 16:34
hi i do acrylic nails if thats n e help ?

iphonelover
08-07-2011, 16:54
I need to find out more about 'Gelish' I want to buy the gelish products, a UV lamp and brushes, but as i hate ebay im struggling to find somewhere that sells all the things I need. I was wondering if someone could help me find the things i need. Im not a nail technician so a bit lost lol. many thanks

Ms Macbeth
09-07-2011, 05:59
Threads merged. Please don't start more than one thread on the same topic, thanks.

OOmpa
06-08-2011, 11:56
I want to di gellish at home but 'apparently' i need to be a qualified nail technician, i only want to do them on myself. Can i buy them through a secondary company/person? Thanks

If its gel nails equipment that you are after there are lots of websites selling it just google gel nails, here's one
http://www.essentialnails.com/pages/default.aspx

You don't have to be a nail technician to buy the products.

princesskay
10-08-2011, 00:13
Tannery Works ( Chesterfield Road S8 ) Do a gelish Manicure for only 20! Have some lovely Colours too and it doesnt take that long! :) xx

Qualified
25-08-2011, 08:20
You do need to be a professional to use professional products!!
Why do you think they are not on sale to the general public.

Ebay sellers selling gelish and shellac are getting closed down as I well know. They are not authorised to sell to the public.

You have to have a manicure and pedicure certificate - have you one of these???

You have to know the system of gelish. You cannot just go out and buy it. How do you know when you have cured each layer? how do you know if you havent cured or if you have over cured and damage your nail and get heat spikes???

You wont! because you are not trained and qualified. Its people like you that give nail techs a bad name. Buying dodgy products from ebay and doing nails!!

It cost 20 for a set of gelish nails not much when it lasts for 3 weeks.

You cant just buy gelish colour there are other things that go with it so dont expect good nails because they arent going to be.

Your the type of person we hate because we train for years doing nails and someone like you thinks they know it and they end up ruining there nails and whoever elses!

spend money get qualifications and then do it,because if you do decide to do it on anyone and it goes wrong like it will your butt is going to be sued because you wont have public liability or insurance!

Take advice and dont bother

Qualified
25-08-2011, 08:22
I need to find out more about 'Gelish' I want to buy the gelish products, a UV lamp and brushes, but as i hate ebay im struggling to find somewhere that sells all the things I need. I was wondering if someone could help me find the things i need. Im not a nail technician so a bit lost lol. many thanks

you need a manicure/pedicure cert to be able to buy gelish or any other PROFESSIONAL product. Dont buy of ebay because there are fakes on there pretending to be gelish when really they just stick the label on. You will never know because you are not trained it gelish.

Leave it to the professionals

jenand8285
25-08-2011, 18:20
You do need to be a professional to use professional products!!
Why do you think they are not on sale to the general public.

Ebay sellers selling gelish and shellac are getting closed down as I well know. They are not authorised to sell to the public.

You have to have a manicure and pedicure certificate - have you one of these???

You have to know the system of gelish. You cannot just go out and buy it. How do you know when you have cured each layer? how do you know if you havent cured or if you have over cured and damage your nail and get heat spikes???

You wont! because you are not trained and qualified. Its people like you that give nail techs a bad name. Buying dodgy products from ebay and doing nails!!
It cost 20 for a set of gelish nails not much when it lasts for 3 weeks.

You cant just buy gelish colour there are other things that go with it so dont expect good nails because they arent going to be.

Your the type of person we hate because we train for years doing nails and someone like you thinks they know it and they end up ruining there nails and whoever elses!
spend money get qualifications and then do it,because if you do decide to do it on anyone and it goes wrong like it will your butt is going to be sued because you wont have public liability or insurance!

Take advice and dont bother

The OP said she wants to do it on her own nails (oops assuming OP is female lol) She has not said anything about doing anyone elses!!!
And so what if she ruins her own nails that is up to her!

iphonelover
25-08-2011, 20:35
Thanks for all the replies, ive bought the gelish products a while ago now from a good ebay seller/private website seller. Im doing just fine. Done mine and familes lots of times and they look great. My hubbys cousin is a nail technician and over saw me the first few times and said i did brilliantly. Got the right equipment, prepared the nail perfectly and removed perfectly. I now do it regularly just for me and family as i enjoy it, never charge them either. As my hubbys cousin says who has been qualified for years its more difficult for acrylics etc.... But she admits its not rocket science using gellish products and and im doing fine. There is ssoo many websites and info its easy to know how to do it properly. I would get a qualification for all the other stuff like acrylics if i wanted to do them but i dont! If my hubbys cousin even says it then i think your being ridiculous being offended by it! Its nails, not brain surgery! If you wanted a job that no-one would do as a hobby then you should have become a nurse or solicitor! Some people like doing their own nails and maybe friends and family as a hobby, get over it!

laura16
25-08-2011, 20:38
I think what qualified said and the way it was said was wrong however I can see what was meant. Yes professional products can and should only be bought by professionals however there are usually alternatives that can be bought by the public. Also it is right that you could damage your nails, possibly perminantly.

However saying "WE" hate is a bit of a generalisation, I certainly don't have a problem with people having a go. Having a go myself in the first place is what got me into wanting to know how to do nails and getting qualified.

As said above there is nothing to say the OP will do anyones nails other than their own and if that is the case why shouldn't she have a go

iphonelover
25-08-2011, 20:45
I think what qualified said and the way it was said was wrong however I can see what was meant. Yes professional products can and should only be bought by professionals however there are usually alternatives that can be bought by the public. Also it is right that you could damage your nails, possibly perminantly.

However saying "WE" hate is a bit of a generalisation, I certainly don't have a problem with people having a go. Having a go myself in the first place is what got me into wanting to know how to do nails and getting qualified.

As said above there is nothing to say the OP will do anyones nails other than their own and if that is the case why shouldn't she have a go

Thanks laura. I would never charge or do anyones other than families. Maybe one day i will go to college, for me its a hobby. If shes offended its ridiculous. Girls doig nails is a popular hobby.

Qualified
25-08-2011, 21:12
Thanks laura. I would never charge or do anyones other than families. Maybe one day i will go to college, for me its a hobby. If shes offended its ridiculous. Girls doig nails is a popular hobby.

Hahaha i dont think you are listening sweetie!! it is a proffesional product that only professionals should use! you are not a professional. do you know how much we have to pay to train as nail therapists and technicians for some silly little girl to post on a forum asking where to get a professional product from! you say you are only doing it on yourself and your family - what if you heat spike a family member and cause them serious harm?

You are not trained in gelish or any other nail products. Gelish,shellac acrylics are not a bloody hobby! why do you think you need training and certificates and insurance. Just for the fun of it i suppose. Ask any trained nail tech and see what they say,they will say exactly the same thing. get trained up before you use a unknown product.

What if you undercure the gelish and you get a serious infection in your nail-this will happen trust me!!

laura16
25-08-2011, 21:15
Hahaha i dont think you are listening sweetie!! it is a proffesional product that only professionals should use! you are not a professional. do you know how much we have to pay to train as nail therapists and technicians for some silly little girl to post on a forum asking where to get a professional product from! you say you are only doing it on yourself and your family - what if you heat spike a family member and cause them serious harm?

You are not trained in gelish or any other nail products. Gelish,shellac acrylics are not a bloody hobby! why do you think you need training and certificates and insurance. Just for the fun of it i suppose. Ask any trained nail tech and see what they say,they will say exactly the same thing. get trained up before you use a unknown product.

What if you undercure the gelish and you get a serious infection in your nail-this will happen trust me!!

I am a trained nail technician and I see no problem in her using it on herself she has been shown how to use it by a qualified nail tech. As they are family they will know that she isn't qualified. Did you never try to do nails before you qualified?

lysha
25-08-2011, 21:21

try sallys

iphonelover
25-08-2011, 21:52

Firstly, do not come on here and call me a 'silly little girl'. Who the hell do you think you are! You dont know me and seem jealous to death im good at it without a qualification! Dont worry im not going to steal your business off you :roll: Like i said if you have a problem with people doing things like nails as a hobby you should have become a scientist! YES people doing their own nails is a hobby! Many many people buy shellac, gelish etc without being trained, ranting, raving and insulting people will not change that! Alot of people put acrylics on their own nails and have done for years with no self harm!
All your doing is making yourself come across like an immature person. Secondly for your information as previously mentioned I HAVE spoke to nail technicians and none have issues like you, there is even another nail technician on this thread trying to tell you the same thing as well. Ladies will do their own nails and family and friends without being qualified throughout your entire life, because they are good at it and do a good job as a hobby without qualifications. Not like their are saying they are qualified when they arent. My family and friends have done their own nails for years and NEVER had problems, so the chance of it DEFINATELY happening are slim. Noone is pretending to be qualified when they are not, and nooone is charging to do nails as a hobby! Like i said, get over it.

jenand8285
25-08-2011, 21:56

Alot of people pay alot of money & time to get trained up in all sorts of professions but you not see hairdressers on here talking in such a manner about people who have bleached their hair at home and knackered it with professional products they bought from Sallys for instance or bookkeepers moaning about people messing up their books and wanting them to get them in order a week before year end! You could have advised an alternative in a friendly manner but you chose to be aggressive and even insulting in the above post :roll:

iphonelover
25-08-2011, 21:56
I am a trained nail technician and I see no problem in her using it on herself she has been shown how to use it by a qualified nail tech. As they are family they will know that she isn't qualified. Did you never try to do nails before you qualified?

Thank you, Ive never known a person have such issues, Its truely ridiculous. Its not job where only someone qualified can touch a nail, if she wanted that she is in the wrong profession im afraid. Im not qualified and my family know that, they love the end result and love how nice and strong and healthy their nails are since ive been manicuring them. They are happy and i enjoy doing it. I would never pretend to be qualified or take money for doing their nails :)

LolliB
26-08-2011, 08:07
a lot of nail techs have issues with public buying these products as its a growing number of people who are doing it themselves, obviously meaning less customers for them. Im not qualified in nails at all, but i love doing my nails, I have been doing lots of research over the last month or so and bought all the stuff i needed (bought a 36w uv lamp off ebay for 30) I've also been to sallys (luckily im qualified in hairdressing so have a trade card) and gone mad at sallys with the ASP stuff and some shellac stuff off another website.

I've always enjoyed doing my nails but wanted to have a go with gel. I am going to look at doing a course on them but cant afford to at the minute, but i cant see the issue with doing them on urself, but like i said find out as much info as possible before u have a go, i suggest reading forums like salon geek (altho becareful cos this is full of professionals who do get angry about public getting in on their trade and doing it themselves), also angel nail is good website and youtube is great!! without the training ur never going to be as good as a qualified tech but they know all health and safety n best technique to start but alot of it i believe boils down to practice and perfecting your technique.

Anyway Sallys @ heeley retail park on queens road have gelish nail varnishs but i've been using the ASP gel for extensions and its good place to start but the gel products are not the cheapest even with a trade card!!

jenand8285
26-08-2011, 08:20
i suggest reading forums like salon geek (altho becareful cos this is full of professionals who do get angry about public getting in on their trade and doing it themselves)

Really? I find that a bit crazy! Like the post's form Qualified. I work in accounts and I am a member of the bookkeepers forum, people who do hold any qualifications come on there all the time for advice and others respond with their best advice. Nothing like 'I spent 5K getting qualified and now you think you can just come on here and do it yourself!' because the fact is alot can and it is just a childish response!
I regard a forum as somewhere people can look for help & information, if others have no intention of sharing it, why have they registered?!

I think the Mod should close this thread now.

LolliB
26-08-2011, 08:33
Really? I find that a bit crazy! Like the post's form Qualified. I work in accounts and I am a member of the bookkeepers forum, people who do hold any qualifications come on there all the time for advice and others respond with their best advice. Nothing like 'I spent 5K getting qualified and now you think you can just come on here and do it yourself!' because the fact is alot can and it is just a childish response!
I regard a forum as somewhere people can look for help & information, if others have no intention of sharing it, why have they registered?!

I think the Mod should close this thread now.

hey dont shoot the messenger! :) Yep unfortunately there are some really nasty msgs on there that some nail techs have put on nail geek forum to ppl not in the trade asking for advise and help and again the issue comes up about them having spent all this money to do this course that course etc, i couldnt believe that tey were being so horrible, Well thats it i dont understand what the issue is with people doing anything on themselves as long as they've done the research and are doing it on themselves or if they are doing it on others as long as they know there not qualified then leave them too and stop getting ants in ya pants about it all!!!

iphonelover
26-08-2011, 12:41
a lot of nail techs have issues with public buying these products as its a growing number of people who are doing it themselves, obviously meaning less customers for them. Im not qualified in nails at all, but i love doing my nails, I have been doing lots of research over the last month or so and bought all the stuff i needed (bought a 36w uv lamp off ebay for 30) I've also been to sallys (luckily im qualified in hairdressing so have a trade card) and gone mad at sallys with the ASP stuff and some shellac stuff off another website.

I've always enjoyed doing my nails but wanted to have a go with gel. I am going to look at doing a course on them but cant afford to at the minute, but i cant see the issue with doing them on urself, but like i said find out as much info as possible before u have a go, i suggest reading forums like salon geek (altho becareful cos this is full of professionals who do get angry about public getting in on their trade and doing it themselves), also angel nail is good website and youtube is great!! without the training ur never going to be as good as a qualified tech but they know all health and safety n best technique to start but alot of it i believe boils down to practice and perfecting your technique.

Anyway Sallys @ heeley retail park on queens road have gelish nail varnishs but i've been using the ASP gel for extensions and its good place to start but the gel products are not the cheapest even with a trade card!!

Hey, good luck with doing them yourself, since starting this thread a while ago
I, like you, bought uv lamp and products and have been doing them on myself successfully. My nails look wonderful and are in good condition. Dont let anyone put you off :) i even do my families when they want. Maybe one day i will do a nail course and do it as a job but for the moment im happy wiyh it as a hobby :) as for salon geek i hate that website, some real bitches on there. There are some nice girls as well, a few pm'd me who were lovely, but the majority are horrid. Good luck again and let me know what colours are your favourites :)

Nail_LAB
12-12-2011, 12:22
i doubt the gelish will be fake. It's more likely that people can get hold of the stuff and know its sellable.

u will find alot of the stuff on ebay is fake just like designer clothes, bags they imitate the bottle and put god knows what in it, its professional because it has to be taken off properly its not a case of just using acetone like normal polish, theres alot more to it.

iphonelover
12-12-2011, 12:35
u will find alot of the stuff on ebay is fake just like designer clothes, bags they imitate the bottle and put god knows what in it, its professional because it has to be taken off properly its not a case of just using acetone like normal polish, theres alot more to it.

I found a really good shop on ebay for gelish stuff and never had a problem. Soaking them off is easy if you do it right.

Nail_LAB
12-12-2011, 13:20
yep if u do it right. obviously im not arguing with u using it on urself thats up to u but i think its wrong to make out its the real stuff when u dont actually know if it is, if u cant legitimately buy gelish from the uk distributors and have to buy fom an unknown source on ebay u cant actually know if its real or not and to promte buying unknown products from ebay i find that a bit irresponsible especially when ive had clients tell me they bought "gelish" from ebay bring it in to show me and we could clearly see its not gelish as the same colours ive got are different in colour, if u want to keep buying fair u do that but to promote buying unknown product especially when a number of complaints have been sent in to nail harmony allergic reactions to bottles that have been bought from ebay its not fair.

unfortunately harmony cant stop these replicas just like the designer labels cant stop fake bags. we just try to educate people the best we can.

iphonelover
12-12-2011, 13:30
yep if u do it right. obviously im not arguing with u using it on urself thats up to u but i think its wrong to make out its the real stuff when u dont actually know if it is, if u cant legitimately buy gelish from the uk distributors and have to buy fom an unknown source on ebay u cant actually know if its real or not and to promte buying unknown products from ebay i find that a bit irresponsible especially when ive had clients tell me they bought "gelish" from ebay bring it in to show me and we could clearly see its not gelish as the same colours ive got are different in colour, if u want to keep buying fair u do that but to promote buying unknown product especially when a number of complaints have been sent in to nail harmony allergic reactions to bottles that have been bought from ebay its not fair.

unfortunately harmony cant stop these replicas just like the designer labels cant stop fake bags. we just try to educate people the best we can.

I would agree however this ebay shop has fantastic reviews on their gellish products and my cousin who is a nail technician even orders her stuff from there and the salon where she works says although they dont buy from there forthe salon (they get it cheaper at the warehouse) says there products are from a trusted seller. So there you go. If people do there research rather than buying from just any ebay shops the they cant go wrong.

Nail_LAB
12-12-2011, 14:00
hang on if its a trusted seller and its genuine as ur cousin and her colleagues say then why doesnt ur cousin and her colleagues use it in the salon then if its trusted and they kno its real??? could it be because its not real and they cant trust it not to do damage because if something happened to a client then there insurance could b void? dont make sense if this was the case every nail tech would b doing this rather then buying from nail harmony?! we buy from nh as we know what we are buying is real!

like i said use what u want on urself u dont know what goes in the product to make it therefore u dont know if its real? just very irresponsible to promote buyong this type of product from ebay!

iphonelover
12-12-2011, 14:08
hang on if its a trusted seller and its genuine as ur cousin and her colleagues say then why doesnt ur cousin and her colleagues use it in the salon then if its trusted and they kno its real??? could it be because its not real and they cant trust it not to do damage because if something happened to a client then there insurance could b void? dont make sense if this was the case every nail tech would b doing this rather then buying from nail harmony?! we buy from nh as we know what we are buying is real!

like i said use what u want on urself u dont know what goes in the product to make it therefore u dont know if its real? just very irresponsible to promote buyong this type of product from ebay!

If your going to reply at least read it properly, as already said, they get it cheaper in bulk elsewhere :roll: which now makes your post void. Asfor being irresponsible, not all all. Nearly every single product and most sellers in the world will have reviews on google, websites, feedback etc..: thats how companies become reputable by reviews.

Nail_LAB
12-12-2011, 14:30
yeah i meant to mention that would love to kno which warehouse this is!? as the real gelish products only ever go on offer for bulk altho 3 for 2 isnt exactly bulk or special offer if Nail Harmony do an offer at the same time or just before a warehouse with a contract with them and my understanding by nail harmony themselves is that sallys are the only warehouse suppliers that have got a contract with nail harmony to sell their gelish products and i go in sallys quite frequently and never come across discounts for bulk buying!?!? alot of forges are made on ebay of reviews lots of people self review to get people buying from them on ebay.

iphonelover
12-12-2011, 14:53
yeah i meant to mention that would love to kno which warehouse this is!? as the real gelish products only ever go on offer for bulk altho 3 for 2 isnt exactly bulk or special offer if Nail Harmony do an offer at the same time or just before a warehouse with a contract with them and my understanding by nail harmony themselves is that sallys are the only warehouse suppliers that have got a contract with nail harmony to sell their gelish products and i go in sallys quite frequently and never come across discounts for bulk buying!?!? alot of forges are made on ebay of reviews lots of people self review to get people buying from them on ebay.

Lots of reviews are, but when thousands of people review chances are its decent LOL
when a big salon is a chain of salons, chnces are they buy is massive bulk, not 3 for 2.

poppins
12-12-2011, 15:02
This new nail treatment seem to be putting many nail spas out of business in the US, customers have no need to go as often, I've noticed the dark, purple, green and blues seem popular.

whiteroses
12-12-2011, 15:08
I had Gelish nails done by a professional a couple of weeks ago. I'd never had them done before and was assured they would last two to three weeks. However, within a week every nail apart from the two thumbs had begun to peel off and looked tatty. Makes me wonder if they used fake products, perhaps? I'm no expert but I thought they should've lasted far longer than four or five days.

On the topic of a "non-professional" buying professional products online to try at home, I can't see any problem with it if she's only going to be experimenting on her own nails. I think it takes a very insecure "professional" to get so shirty about such things.
How else would people ever learn how to dye hair/ wax legs/ apply makeup and so on, unless they practiced on themselves? I can't really see any difference - surely home hair dye is potentially just as dangerous as nail products, yet thousands of people do that in their own bathrooms every day of the week. You just have to be sensible, read the instructions and be aware of the risks, right?

laura16
12-12-2011, 15:31
This is an old thread an I can still see it from both sides.

If you want to buy something of ebay to use on yourself you can no way guarentee that it is the real thing. Reviews or not you can't be certain. But if you are only using it on you and you are happy to take that risk then thats up to you.

Hair dyes are risky someone was hospitalised not so long back because they used one without a patch test and hair dressers would advise you to go to them but people still use them.

In my opinion if it is just for personal use as long as you know about the risk and you want to go ahead then do so but dont pretend to be a professional and use it on others. You have a responsibilty not to do so.

People will always DIY but people have a treatment from a proffesional to ensure it is done right, to prevent damage to their skin,nails or hair or whatever its for and to feel pampered. I've been guilty of trying things out on myself before I got trained just like I bet many others of you will have but only offer treatments I am trained in to the public

Nail_LAB
12-12-2011, 16:11
Lots of reviews are, but when thousands of people review chances are its decent LOL
when a big salon is a chain of salons, chnces are they buy is massive bulk, not 3 for 2.

Obviously there are going to be thousands of reviews by people who buy the product becuase they cant via the professional channels, of course there going to say its good but how can they know if they've not used the real thing?

As stated before Nail harmony are the manufacturers of the product they design, produce and ship the product they have sub contracts with Sallys warehouse only, Nail Harmony do not offer deals on bulk orders whether its to salons, trade suppliers and/or mobile technicians the only time u get offers is when they put 3 for 2 offers on, the warehouses do not put offers on the harmoney in bulk buy as they would be out of pocket they can only offer 3 for 2 at the same time as harmony or just after. I know this as i've trained and still train with nail harmony I deal with the distributors for this area of the country directly and speak with the HO when ever i have questions or issues.

Like laura it has been a passion of doing my own nails in the past that has taken me down the route of doing what im doing now, i see no wrong in doing your nails urself as long as ur not advertising to do people u dont know.

All im merely trying to do is educate and explain something to someone and they flip it round and get defensive or just argue with u!

So i dont see the point on bothering anymore!

Nail_LAB
12-12-2011, 16:20
I had Gelish nails done by a professional a couple of weeks ago. I'd never had them done before and was assured they would last two to three weeks. However, within a week every nail apart from the two thumbs had begun to peel off and looked tatty. Makes me wonder if they used fake products, perhaps? I'm no expert but I thought they should've lasted far longer than four or five days.

On the topic of a "non-professional" buying professional products online to try at home, I can't see any problem with it if she's only going to be experimenting on her own nails. I think it takes a very insecure "professional" to get so shirty about such things. How else would people ever learn how to dye hair/ wax legs/ apply makeup and so on, unless they practiced on themselves? I can't really see any difference - surely home hair dye is potentially just as dangerous as nail products, yet thousands of people do that in their own bathrooms every day of the week. You just have to be sensible, read the instructions and be aware of the risks, right?

I've had clients who have only managed to have gelish on a few days but then i have clients who can keep it on for a month! its all dependant on the persons lifestyle and ensuring the client is doing there bit in aftercare if ur not following aftercare i.e cuticle oil, wearing gloves when using cleaning detergents and washing pots or gardening and avoiding being heavy handed, picking or biting at them then your going to have issues. Like hair everyones nails are different so gel polishes may not suit them? also if the product has been applied wrong that may cause issues too?! but its hard to pin point without having seen them.

The problem that you've got with doing nails urself (i.e gelish, enhancements) is that ur not fully aware of the contra indications (health and safety, hygiene, u need to know about nail anatomy what u should and shouldnt do as u can do so much damage and people done realise this, im more then sure Laura will back me up here, this is why we trained in what we do.)

But if someone wants to do it to themselves its non of my business and it would be very hypocritical of me to say u cant.

iphonelover
12-12-2011, 17:15

On the topic of a "non-professional" buying professional products online to try at home, I can't see any problem with it if she's only going to be experimenting on her own nails. I think it takes a very insecure "professional" to get so shirty about such things.
How else would people ever learn how to dye hair/ wax legs/ apply makeup and so on, unless they practiced on themselves? I can't really see any difference - surely home hair dye is potentially just as dangerous as nail products, yet thousands of people do that in their own bathrooms every day of the week. You just have to be sensible, read the instructions and be aware of the risks, right?

Some people will be able to keep it on longer than others just like normal nail varnish. Some days my normal varnish stays on 2-3 days sometimes its chipped in a couple of hours. Its durable to a certain degree but also everyones nails are different thats why gelish say 'will last up to......'

angry apple
26-12-2011, 22:15
Hi iphonelover!

I have enjoyed reading your enquiry. I've had the gelish manicure twice and absolutely love it and I like you, am trying to investigate where I can purchase the whole kit from and it seems that I have gone through exactly the same process as you and then fell upon this forum. As you now have a supplier that you like and found to be reliable, I just wondered whether you would be willing to share the suppliers details. I have been hesitating but feel confident in making the purchase. I work a 50 hour week and don't have time to go to a salon. I therefore do my nails myself it's so much easier. I very much look forward to hearing from.......
Many thanks

Flowersfade
26-12-2011, 23:58
i think because the items on ebay are from america they might have a different policy over there or outlet for these things. England seems to like making things "exclusive" a lot.

If you want a bash at something fun with nails there is this following website which i have bought from and it gives a very professional finish with ease:

http://www.konad.co.uk/cms/

think it worked out at about 16 for a double sided stamper, 1 stamp plate, a plate holder, a scraper to get rid of the excess nail polish and postage and packaging.

Konad are fab, OP have you ever tried water marbling?.

Dee01
27-12-2011, 00:38
Just a thought, check out some of the local colleges and sign yourself up for an evening class.

There is a number of options of payment

then you can buy the products at cost from the suppliers.

Whatever you decide good luck

Dizzyblonde
27-12-2011, 08:52
they sell it on amazon, not that I would ever do it myself. I like the salon experience and besides the outlay, maintenance etc is only going to be recouped against the salon cost if a few of you are using the kit.

For me its comparable with having my hair cut at home. I know its cheaper to have a mobile hairdresser but that's not the whole reason for me.

angry apple
27-12-2011, 18:51
they sell it on amazon, not that I would ever do it myself. I like the salon experience and besides the outlay, maintenance etc is only going to be recouped against the salon cost if a few of you are using the kit.

For me its comparable with having my hair cut at home. I know its cheaper to have a mobile hairdresser but that's not the whole reason for me.

hi dizzyblonde

i too like the salon experience but dont have the time due to working shifts and i would have to have a 30min drive into the city to find someone that does it. by the time i drive in and out and find parking etc etc im ready to shoot myself. i do understand.......when it come to having my hair done im quite happy to sit at the hairdressers for 4 hours almost.............it takes ages.

angry apple
27-12-2011, 18:58
Just a thought, check out some of the local colleges and sign yourself up for an evening class.

There is a number of options of payment

then you can buy the products at cost from the suppliers.

Whatever you decide good luck

hi Dee01

i would love to do the training at a local college but only really interested in the gelish bit not the other stuff and i think you have to do the whole thing which for me is a waste of time and money...... but really good idea.....thank you