Slightly different 'parking' thread

I know there's loads of stuff about the legalities of parking on here but this is slightly different.

I've just joined Blockbusters video (entertainment) in Berkley precinct on Ecclesall road.

I've not been there for a while and was shocked at all the signage and video cameras in the car park.

The first thing that came to mind is what a complete eyesore it is! There's signs all over the place! How can this company (presume Excel) get permission to do this? It's a complete visual assault in what's otherwise a nice area.

It'd help if there were fewer signs and at eye level where you could read them and better still if they were in a print size that was actually readable.

Shame on whoever allowed this!

Edited by Alcoblog

It's a sign of the times I guess

What's equally lamentable is that even with all these measures in place it's no easier or harder to get a parking space there than it was before they brought all this crap in. Complete waste of time, money and effort. The only thing to come out of it is profit for Excel (or however runs it).

jb

What's even more remarkable is that despite all the signs someone is bound to ignore them or not see them or like someone a know deliberately get a ticket just so he can have great fun ignoring the letters (although lately they don't seem to bother with any new letters) he has a mission to get a ticket from every car park they monitor

I know there's loads of stuff about the legalities of parking on here but this is slightly different.

I've just joined Blockbusters video (entertainment) in Berkley precinct on Ecclesall road.

I've not been there for a while and was shocked at all the signage and video cameras in the car park.

The first thing that came to mind is what a complete eyesore it is! There's signs all over the place! How can this company (presume Excel) get permission to do this? It's a complete visual assault in what's otherwise a nice area.

It'd help if there were fewer signs and at eye level where you could read them and better still if they were in a print size that was actually readable.

Shame on whoever allowed this!

Its due to people claiming they didn't see the signs when they recieve a charge for overstaying.

We parked there on Wednesday and had a lovely meal in Yankees across the road, thanks Excel! :thumbsup:

Its due to people claiming they didn't see the signs when they recieve a charge for overstaying.

I'm not talking about the legalities of such signs! That's talked about most capably on another thread.

I'm talking about the total eyesore they create. Is parking such a heinous crime that it warrants the obliteration of views on what otherwise is a lovely road with very sympathetic new buildings going up to compliment the existing ones? Someone is trying very hard here to make Ecclesall road to look good and hopefully set a standard for new regeneration.

As I understand, there's 2 hours free car parking there ... ample time for people to do their shopping, go to the video shop ... etc.

Would you want to go and sit outside Costa Coffee on a nice sunny day surrounded by thinly veiled threats of unenforcible fines every ten feet or so?

Is it so important to enforce these 'laws' at the expense of aesthetics? I think not!

Maybe Excel could be more gainfully employed showing people where to park rather than trying to catch a small minority out for minor misdemanours?

Why not plant trees instead of illegible threatening signs ... why not lighten up and allow people to enjoy themselves and the surroundings?

These parking signs and video cameras should be taken down immediately to allow passers by to see the shops behind them or at least give an ambience of friendliness.

'Excel' ... oxmoron or what!

I'm not talking about the legalities of such signs! That's talked about most capably on another thread.

I'm talking about the total eyesore they create. Is parking such a heinous crime that it warrants the obliteration of views on what otherwise is a lovely road with very sympathetic new buildings going up to compliment the existing ones? Someone is trying very hard here to make Ecclesall road to look good and hopefully set a standard for new regeneration.

As I understand, there's 2 hours free car parking there ... ample time for people to do their shopping, go to the video shop ... etc.

Would you want to go and sit outside Costa Coffee on a nice sunny day surrounded by thinly veiled threats of unenforcible fines every ten feet or so?

Is it so important to enforce these 'laws' at the expense of aesthetics? I think not!

Maybe Excel could be more gainfully employed showing people where to park rather than trying to catch a small minority out for minor misdemanours?

Why not plant trees instead of illegible threatening signs ... why not lighten up and allow people to enjoy themselves and the surroundings?

These parking signs and video cameras should be taken down immediately to allow passers by to see the shops behind them or at least give an ambience of friendliness.

'Excel' ... oxmoron or what!

You asked why the signs were there, I answered. Smaller signs and people would start using this in court as a reason to why they parked there.

As for costa coffee I wouldn't set foot in that place, not my cup of tea (no pun intended).

You asked why the signs were there, I answered. Smaller signs and people would start using this in court as a reason to why they parked there.

As for costa coffee I wouldn't set foot in that place, not my cup of tea (no pun intended).

I'm sorry... you, for one reason or another have completely missed my point ... aesthetics, I presume not being your strong point at a guess.

Go to the other thread and talk about your reasons for fining people. This is not the place!

I'm sorry... you, for one reason or another have completely missed my point ... aesthetics, I presume not being your strong point at a guess.

Go to the other thread and talk about your reasons for fining people. This is not the place!

You asked about the signs, the reason they are there (whether they look nice or not) is to inform people of the charges for overstaying.

If aesthetics are so important, why would you want to sit beside a car park in the first place??

I'm sorry... you, for one reason or another have completely missed my point ...

Your point was, how can they get permission to do this?

The correct answer, as already given, is that with so many people insisting on their right to abuse land belonging to someone else, there's little choice.

Your point was, how can they get permission to do this?

The correct answer, as already given, is that with so many people insisting on their right to abuse land belonging to someone else, there's little choice.

You're missing my point entirely too! I'm not talking about the rights and wrongs of parking! Do you think it's right to destroy the joi de vivre of a lovely road with a myriad of unenforcible signage from a very dubious company that thinks fining people is more important than the aesthetics and well being of the surroundings? It's a very sad world we live in if harassing people who want to use local amenities (promoting growth) choose to go elsewhere having been intimidated by very hard to read signs (I know this happens as my G/F was scared to park there the other day as she only had her driving glasses with her and couldn't read the small lettering)

She also commented on how ugly the place looked with all the dubious signage.

What's the point of all this ... make a few quid and destroy the surroundings?:huh: