View Full Version : Slightly different 'parking' thread

Alcoblog
02-06-2011, 19:10
I know there's loads of stuff about the legalities of parking on here but this is slightly different.
I've just joined Blockbusters video (entertainment) in Berkley precinct on Ecclesall road.
I've not been there for a while and was shocked at all the signage and video cameras in the car park.
The first thing that came to mind is what a complete eyesore it is! There's signs all over the place! How can this company (presume Excel) get permission to do this? It's a complete visual assault in what's otherwise a nice area.
It'd help if there were fewer signs and at eye level where you could read them and better still if they were in a print size that was actually readable.
Shame on whoever allowed this!

MJ01
02-06-2011, 19:14
It's a sign of the times I guess

barleycorn
03-06-2011, 08:42
What's equally lamentable is that even with all these measures in place it's no easier or harder to get a parking space there than it was before they brought all this crap in. Complete waste of time, money and effort. The only thing to come out of it is profit for Excel (or however runs it).

jb

nexusdee
03-06-2011, 09:07
What's even more remarkable is that despite all the signs someone is bound to ignore them or not see them or like someone a know deliberately get a ticket just so he can have great fun ignoring the letters (although lately they don't seem to bother with any new letters) he has a mission to get a ticket from every car park they monitor

Bonjon
03-06-2011, 09:07
I know there's loads of stuff about the legalities of parking on here but this is slightly different.
I've just joined Blockbusters video (entertainment) in Berkley precinct on Ecclesall road.
I've not been there for a while and was shocked at all the signage and video cameras in the car park.
The first thing that came to mind is what a complete eyesore it is! There's signs all over the place! How can this company (presume Excel) get permission to do this? It's a complete visual assault in what's otherwise a nice area.
It'd help if there were fewer signs and at eye level where you could read them and better still if they were in a print size that was actually readable.
Shame on whoever allowed this!

Its due to people claiming they didn't see the signs when they recieve a charge for overstaying.

damo
03-06-2011, 09:12
We parked there on Wednesday and had a lovely meal in Yankees across the road, thanks Excel! :thumbsup:

Alcoblog
03-06-2011, 10:05
Its due to people claiming they didn't see the signs when they recieve a charge for overstaying.
I'm not talking about the legalities of such signs! That's talked about most capably on another thread.
I'm talking about the total eyesore they create. Is parking such a heinous crime that it warrants the obliteration of views on what otherwise is a lovely road with very sympathetic new buildings going up to compliment the existing ones? Someone is trying very hard here to make Ecclesall road to look good and hopefully set a standard for new regeneration.
As I understand, there's 2 hours free car parking there ... ample time for people to do their shopping, go to the video shop ... etc.
Would you want to go and sit outside Costa Coffee on a nice sunny day surrounded by thinly veiled threats of unenforcible fines every ten feet or so?
Is it so important to enforce these 'laws' at the expense of aesthetics? I think not!
Maybe Excel could be more gainfully employed showing people where to park rather than trying to catch a small minority out for minor misdemanours?
Why not plant trees instead of illegible threatening signs ... why not lighten up and allow people to enjoy themselves and the surroundings?
These parking signs and video cameras should be taken down immediately to allow passers by to see the shops behind them or at least give an ambience of friendliness.
'Excel' ... oxmoron or what!

Bonjon
03-06-2011, 10:18
I'm not talking about the legalities of such signs! That's talked about most capably on another thread.
I'm talking about the total eyesore they create. Is parking such a heinous crime that it warrants the obliteration of views on what otherwise is a lovely road with very sympathetic new buildings going up to compliment the existing ones? Someone is trying very hard here to make Ecclesall road to look good and hopefully set a standard for new regeneration.
As I understand, there's 2 hours free car parking there ... ample time for people to do their shopping, go to the video shop ... etc.
Would you want to go and sit outside Costa Coffee on a nice sunny day surrounded by thinly veiled threats of unenforcible fines every ten feet or so?
Is it so important to enforce these 'laws' at the expense of aesthetics? I think not!
Maybe Excel could be more gainfully employed showing people where to park rather than trying to catch a small minority out for minor misdemanours?
Why not plant trees instead of illegible threatening signs ... why not lighten up and allow people to enjoy themselves and the surroundings?
These parking signs and video cameras should be taken down immediately to allow passers by to see the shops behind them or at least give an ambience of friendliness.
'Excel' ... oxmoron or what!

You asked why the signs were there, I answered. Smaller signs and people would start using this in court as a reason to why they parked there.

As for costa coffee I wouldn't set foot in that place, not my cup of tea (no pun intended).

Alcoblog
03-06-2011, 10:31
You asked why the signs were there, I answered. Smaller signs and people would start using this in court as a reason to why they parked there.

As for costa coffee I wouldn't set foot in that place, not my cup of tea (no pun intended).

I'm sorry... you, for one reason or another have completely missed my point ... aesthetics, I presume not being your strong point at a guess.
Go to the other thread and talk about your reasons for fining people. This is not the place!

Bonjon
03-06-2011, 10:36
I'm sorry... you, for one reason or another have completely missed my point ... aesthetics, I presume not being your strong point at a guess.
Go to the other thread and talk about your reasons for fining people. This is not the place!

You asked about the signs, the reason they are there (whether they look nice or not) is to inform people of the charges for overstaying.

If aesthetics are so important, why would you want to sit beside a car park in the first place??

HeadingNorth
03-06-2011, 12:29
I'm sorry... you, for one reason or another have completely missed my point ...

Your point was, how can they get permission to do this?

The correct answer, as already given, is that with so many people insisting on their right to abuse land belonging to someone else, there's little choice.

Alcoblog
03-06-2011, 13:10
Your point was, how can they get permission to do this?

The correct answer, as already given, is that with so many people insisting on their right to abuse land belonging to someone else, there's little choice.
You're missing my point entirely too! I'm not talking about the rights and wrongs of parking! Do you think it's right to destroy the joi de vivre of a lovely road with a myriad of unenforcible signage from a very dubious company that thinks fining people is more important than the aesthetics and well being of the surroundings? It's a very sad world we live in if harassing people who want to use local amenities (promoting growth) choose to go elsewhere having been intimidated by very hard to read signs (I know this happens as my G/F was scared to park there the other day as she only had her driving glasses with her and couldn't read the small lettering)
She also commented on how ugly the place looked with all the dubious signage.
What's the point of all this ... make a few quid and destroy the surroundings?:huh:

Bonjon
03-06-2011, 13:15
You're missing my point entirely too! I'm not talking about the rights and wrongs of parking! Do you think it's right to destroy the joi de vivre of a lovely road with a myriad of unenforcible signage from a very dubious company that thinks fining people is more important than the aesthetics and well being of the surroundings? It's a very sad world we live in if harassing people who want to use local amenities (promoting growth) choose to go elsewhere having been intimidated by very hard to read signs (I know this happens as my G/F was scared to park there the other day as she only had her driving glasses with her and couldn't read the small lettering)
She also commented on how ugly the place looked with all the dubious signage.
What's the point of all this ... make a few quid and destroy the surroundings?:huh:

Its hardly the peak district, its a car park, car parks have signs. Oh and if your GF cant read the easily readable signs without a seperate set of glasses to her driving glasses then maybe she should consider hanging up the keys.

Limo hire
03-06-2011, 13:20
It might be a legislation thing about monitoring and safety.

Strix
03-06-2011, 13:46
I agree - threatening signs only provoke an emotional reaction that people then take with them into their next interaction with another human being, be that the people working in the shops or other drivers on the road

Alcoblog
03-06-2011, 13:51
Its hardly the peak district, its a car park, car parks have signs. Oh and if your GF cant read the easily readable signs without a seperate set of glasses to her driving glasses then maybe she should consider hanging up the keys.
Sorry! ... Didn't realise Excel had different clauses for fining people in CAR PARKS in the Peak district ... is that in the small print too?
My G/F should hang up her keys because she finds it hard to read Excel parking signs? ... is that a new rule? ... you teamed up with Vision Express? ...you're blind if you can't read them?
This is way off topic ... I'm questioning the over zealous use of parking signs, I think they destroy the surrounding areas for nothing more than an excuse to make money at the expense of the visual surroundings.
Do you think this is right ? ... simple question really.

Alcoblog
03-06-2011, 13:54
I agree - threatening signs only provoke an emotional reaction that people then take with them into their next interaction with another human being, be that the people working in the shops or other drivers on the road
Well said ... if you feel pressurised you pass that on to the next person! It's a sort of chain reaction. :)

Strix
03-06-2011, 13:59
having said that, if people didn't abuse the facility, there wouldn't be the need for the retailers to seek solutions

Try writing to tesco etc outlining your new shopping plans in protest at the deployment of Excel specifically

Btw, this carpark was on the tv this week thanks to trying to fine people who made two visits in one day. They accused them of being there about 7 hrs, supported by photo's of them arriving and leaving!

Bonjon
03-06-2011, 14:00
Sorry! ... Didn't realise Excel had different clauses for fining people in CAR PARKS in the Peak district ... is that in the small print too?
My G/F should hang up her keys because she finds it hard to read Excel parking signs? ... is that a new rule? ... you teamed up with Vision Express? ...you're blind if you can't read them?
This is way off topic ... I'm questioning the over zealous use of parking signs, I think they destroy the surrounding areas for nothing more than an excuse to make money at the expense of the visual surroundings.
Do you think this is right ? ... simple question really.

Calm down, no need for the knee jerk reaction. At the end of the day its Berkley Precint on Ecclesall road, hardly an area of outstanding beauty.

notts_phil
03-06-2011, 14:02
Bonjon So how do you feel about excel loosing this case?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?296990-Excel-Parking-Court-Summons-for-cheque-laterly-cancelled-as-not-a-legal-parking-charge-**WON**(3-Viewing)-nbsp

Bonjon
03-06-2011, 14:04

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?296990-Excel-Parking-Court-Summons-for-cheque-laterly-cancelled-as-not-a-legal-parking-charge-**WON**(3-Viewing)-nbsp

I dont care either way in all honesty, but these threads keep me entertained, anyway the thread you are reffering to wasn't going to court, and it was posted on a forum with no backup evidence so I doubt its authenticity.

truman

didn't excel take them to court for dishonouring a cheque rather than for the parking stuff? Or have I misread..

mike84

And even if there was 1000 signs, you could still easily claim you didnt see them.

Strix
03-06-2011, 14:05
Calm down, no need for the knee jerk reaction. At the end of the day its Berkley Precint on Ecclesall road, hardly an area of outstanding beauty.It was a fairly pleasant place to be given the alternatives nearby though

People usually use stupid phrases like that to justify fly tipping - where do you draw the line?

notts_phil
03-06-2011, 14:05
didn't excel take them to court for dishonouring a cheque rather than for the parking stuff? Or have I misread..

Yes Truman but it was all via "the back door"
But they still lost. It was all bluff and bluster

mike84
03-06-2011, 14:06

You'd have to actually go to court though wouldnt you, as Excel wouldnt take a case to court it doesnt really matter.

i'm still waiting for my court summons as promised by Excel several years ago.... I wonder if it'll ever arrive?

notts_phil
03-06-2011, 14:06
You'd have to actually go to court though wouldnt you, as Excel wouldnt take a case to court it doesnt really matter.

i'm still waiting for my court summons as promised by Excel several years ago.... I wonder if it'll ever arrive?

Ive just spotted a few pigs flying accross the garden

Bonjon
03-06-2011, 14:10

Excel took a guy to court last month, at the last minitue the guy decided to settle out of court, he knew what was coming.

Anyway this thread isn't about the legalities of PPC's. its about the signs.

If you wish to discuss that there is another thread on this page.

notts_phil
03-06-2011, 14:11
Bonjon is ignoring the link i sent him

Dummies and prams come to mind

HeadingNorth
03-06-2011, 14:24
You're missing my point entirely too!

I am not. You specifically asked how they were allowed to put up so many signs. You have your answer.

barleycorn
03-06-2011, 15:01
having said that, if people didn't abuse the facility, there wouldn't be the need for the retailers to seek solutions

Try writing to tesco etc outlining your new shopping plans in protest at the deployment of Excel specifically

Btw, this carpark was on the tv this week thanks to trying to fine people who made two visits in one day. They accused them of being there about 7 hrs, supported by photo's of them arriving and leaving!

You are assuming it was Tesco (+ other businesses) that approached Excel and not the other way around.

jb

LeMaquis
03-06-2011, 16:12
This is the most ridiculous post I've seen in a long time. Someone is arguing that a car park is not aesthetically pleasing enough. A bloody car park. As someone has pointed out the signs and cameras are there to lay down and help enforce the rules. The signs stipulate the conditions by which people can park there. Without those signs being clear enough there'd be no enforeceable contract with the drivers. The cameras are there to prove who parked there and for how long. And people are complaining. About signs. Anal doesn't come into it.