Packing for camping. What's the secret to travelling light?

well i have just starting packing for our camping trip at spring bank and i swear we have more stuff every year, if we manage to stuff this lot in the car and trailer this year it will be a miracle...........whats the secret to traveling light yet having everything you need i wonder:hihi:

Heheheh i think all you can do is keep reviewing what you've got and see if you make it more compact in stages.

Heheheh i think all you can do is keep reviewing what you've got and see if you make it more compact in stages.

i think the reviewing of stuff is actually were we go wrong....we review it then decide we want somit else, every year there seems to be somit else we couldnt possibly manage without, camping isnt really back to basics with us :D. aswell as eqipment we need tp prise 2 adults a child and a dog in the car, its all good fun :roll:

You could always try entering our competition on UKCampsite to win a brand new 4x3 trailer ideal for camping....

That would give you a whole load more space ;)

Otherwise..do your food shopping when you get there if you can - perhaps a pre-cooked meal (either bought or prepared yourself before you go away) for tea the first night. Packing things in groups (sleeping stuff, cooking stuff) makes it all easier to sort when you get there. If you don't take much food with you, some of the cooking/eating things can nest in your coolbox.

It's all about putting things inside other things to minimise "wasted" space.

Even so, usually someone ends up with something under their legs, something on their knee or something behind their head.

A good tip however is to make sure that if putting things up on the parcel shelf, it's the soft things. Just in case if you do have an accident (or just need to make an emergency stop) and things fly forwards, it's better to be hit on the head by an inflatable camping pillow than a gas cylinder

Go back to basics, it's what makes camping fun! I'd also recommend compact half size pillows in stuff sacks, Vango make good ones.

When we had the tent, our kids used to sit on the pillows and duvets. We don't do that now that we have a folding camper, but daughter still takes her "magic" blanket and still sits on that.

When we had the tent, our kids used to sit on the pillows and duvets. We don't do that now that we have a folding camper, but daughter still takes her "magic" blanket and still sits on that.

we are the same our daughter was that padded in with pillows and beding if we was unfotunate to have accident i swear she would be that padded in she would be unharmed hehe. just another year of camping then we may upgrade to campervan (fingers crossed) :D

I went on a 2 week camping holiday with just 15kg of gear last year :D I suspect the circumstances were quite different!

we do it by not taking anything that would be "nice"

eg. if you say. hmm it would be nice if we took the gas bbq. once the word nice is used. dont take it.

anything more than a roof over your head a way to cook and something to sleep on is nice.

well i have just starting packing for our camping trip at spring bank and i swear we have more stuff every year, if we manage to stuff this lot in the car and trailer this year it will be a miracle...........whats the secret to traveling light yet having everything you need i wonder:hihi:

Needing less is the secret.

If it doesn't fit in my backpack....it doesn't go with me :)

If it doesn't fit in my backpack....it doesn't go with me :)

What he said.