Why don't supermarket trolleys have proper brakes?

Yesterday I called at the supermarket for some supplies. That done I returned to my car the load my purchases. The operation was complicated by the need for my little darling needing to be loaded and strapped in first. My back was only turned for a few seconds before I heard a chap honking his horn wildly. I turned to see my trolley load of groceries heading off towards some other parked cars, and had to break off from the strap-in operation to prevent an accident.

Repeat above several times before I finally managed to empty the trolley.

I just wonder why supermarket trolleys don't have brakes like the ones at airports. I assume the supermarket themselves would be liable to any damage caused by a runaway trolley.

Because most of them have one wheel that likes to go off in a different direction to the other three. The manufacturers assume this acts as an adequate braking system.

If you can't control a shopping trolley should you really be driving a car?

Does anyone recall the old ASDA at Handsworth - the one that was in the Full Monty. You parked at the bottom of the car park there at your peril!

Does anyone recall the old ASDA at Handsworth - the one that was in the Full Monty. You parked at the bottom of the car park there at your peril!

I certainly do. I can remember a full shopping trolley heading down the gradient at around 20mph before it slammed into a car parked at the bottom.

Please no, don't make them any more technical, i find people have trouble with them as it is, well at least whilst i'm shopping.

I certainly do. I can remember a full shopping trolley heading down the gradient at around 20mph before it slammed into a car parked at the bottom.

20mph? Doubt it.:loopy:

I think first the UK needs to embrace the fixed back wheels of a trolley before we can move on to more difficult things like brakes..

20mph? Doubt it.:loopy:

I don't see why not - the car park there was exceedingly steep and I've seen fit men sprinting after a loose trolley and failing miserably in keeping up with it.

I think first the UK needs to embrace the fixed back wheels of a trolley before we can move on to more difficult things like brakes..
I cringe in DIY shops when I see people with these. They've arrived by car (assuming they're not taking THAT amount of stuff home on the bus!), so how come they can't figure out a vehicle with two steerable wheels and two fixed? :loopy:

on topic - no, your car insurance would be liable for you damaging somebody else's car through negligence with your trolley. Just ask the cashier for somebody to help you to your car - they're usually more than happy to help out

on topic - no, your car insurance would be liable for you damaging somebody else's car through negligence with your trolley. Just ask the cashier for somebody to help you to your car - they're usually more than happy to help out

Why on earth would your car insurance cover you for damaging someone else's car with a shopping trolley?

Because most of them have one wheel that likes to go off in a different direction to the other three. The manufacturers assume this acts as an adequate braking system.

Well spotted!