Beginner's guide to camping. What do I need? Where do I start?

How do.

I'm wanting to take up camping. I'm new to it all and obviously I know I need a tent. I was wondering if any of you lovely people could advise on what else I may need. Is there anywhere that does starter kits for instance. It will just be for me and I'm wanting to just try it out in the Peaks somewhere.

One other thing is the legal side of camping. Am I right in thinking I can't just plonk myself in a field out in the Peaks somewhere? Are there special sites put aside? Can you recommend a good site?

Many thanks in anticipation of all your answers.

Hi Halfords do starter kits,not the best kit but ok for your 1st time camping.

Tent 2x sleeping bags,mats and lamps about £99 (not sure of the exact price )

Answer to your question regarding plonking yourself in a field,is no you have to get the land owners permission,but there are lots of nice camp sites out in the Peak District.

Happy Camping..

I'd recommend getting a slightly bigger berth tent as it gives you more storage room etc. We started with a 5 berth for 4 of us and now have a 10 berth. :-)

Get a caravan, much easier, pull up and start enjoying, no faffing putting tents up, and you can cook meals loads easier.

Costs a little more cash to start up but well worth it.

IMO of course.

You probably won't want to spend to much money when starting out, just in case you don't like it.

Decathlon have a good range of cheap tents and camping gear.. Gooutdoors also stock a range of tents and camping equip.

For the bare basics you will need:

Tent: Either a pop up tent or a back packing tent may fit the bill, depending on how much walking your going to do.

Sleeping bag: Make sure it will keep you warm on cold nights

Sleeping mat/air bed: essential as they insulate you from the floor

Pillow/inflatable pillow

Camping towel

Basic toiletries

Toilet paper

Torch

For cooking:

Camping stove: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/camp-bistro-stable-camp-stove-173384764/ or http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/camping-chef-stove-76228774/

Pan/kettle:http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/4-person-non-stick-cookset-67881050/ http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/1-75l-aluminium-kettle-118878998/

Plastic plates

Beverage holder

camping cutlery: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/stainless-steel-3-piece-set-3241651/

Food

Booze

If you travel to campsites by car then you can add:

Collapsible table

Camping chairs

Portable BBQ

Fire pit/bowl

Kitchen sink

There are plenty of campsites around , http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ list most of them.

jb

I'd probably suggest doing a local Ebay search (ie within 10 miles) for some good quality second hand camping gear. The amount of stuff that people have used only once (tried it and didn't like it) is staggering.

Regarding the campsite, people will always suggest a campsite as someone seems to own everything. Though these places are great for having a shower and supplying clean water the actually camping out part of your adventure will be marred by noise and kill the true outdoor experience. I don't know the peaks well, but I often used to get myself up to the lakes and my strategy always involved getting as far away from roads and civilisation as possible and setting myself up in the last half hour of daylight in order to enjoy the profound silence of the wilderness, its really something and if your far enough away from anywhere your not likely to be bothered by anyone.

If you take my advice please remember to leave the site as you found it, take your rubbish with you or I will personally come round to your house and crap in your living room:hihi:

I've moved your post to the Camping Group - I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful advice in here.

ukcamping website is fantastic, very useful.

If you can borrow a tent for the first time to see if you like it, it might save you a few quid if you decide its not for you.

Make sure you have a camping mat or inflatable bed, no need for sleeping bags if you haven't any, duvuts will be ok.

Oh, and you can't just camp anywhere even in the middle of nowhere but it does happen.

A group of us used to wild camp in The Lakes a few times a year. It was miles from anywhere and we always cleared up and camped responsible. However in the Peaks there are plenty of sites which don't cost the earth.

Edited by GrannyGranny

Thanks guys some really helpful stuff.

Bonjon; I don't have a car so pulling the caravan would likely knacker me.

Barleycorn; Thanks for such a great post. Lots of information there.

NorthernStar; Thanks for the tip. I promise any area I visit I will leave exactly as I found it.

I think I will enjoy it as it's something I've wanted to do for years but just not got round to it. I hope to be a sensible, well behaved, happy camper.

Don't forget matches to light your camping stove if its not got electronic ignition. We learned this the hard way!!