View Full Version : Engine lights on vauxhall zafira

blh2808
28-04-2011, 14:22
hi iv got a light on my vauxhall zafira 1.6 petrol.its the light shaped as a car with a spanner through it.can any1 tell me wot it is please,it only comes on wen i get on motorways/dual carriageways wen im doin a continuous 60mph.wen the light comes on i then lose power in the car

joolz75
28-04-2011, 16:49
Its something to do with the engine management system i think.

We have a 2.0l Zafira and we have had a few problems with this iver the years.

Last time it was the glow plugs or something!

E-lectrican
28-04-2011, 17:03
it will be the egr valve..........very common fault

graham101@ta
28-04-2011, 17:06
its the engine management light so it could be your coil pack i had the same with my renault scenic

zigzag
28-04-2011, 17:08
hi iv got a light on my vauxhall zafira 1.6 petrol.its the light shaped as a car with a spanner through it.can any1 tell me wot it is please,it only comes on wen i get on motorways/dual carriageways wen im doin a continuous 60mph.wen the light comes on i then lose power in the car

Loosing top eng power sounds like Coilpack or MAF sensor but Maf usually doesnt flag up engine fault light , had one with same fault and changed all sorts turned out to be a faulty spark plug. Have it serviced first and plugged into a diagnostic computer before you start throwing loads of money at it ....hope this helps

DaveMitch
28-04-2011, 17:09
We had a similar problem and it was something to do with the filter. Becomes more expensive if you leave it:mad:

connorz
28-04-2011, 17:17
goto that place down pitsmoor vauxpartz they do fault reading and repairs think number 07747163263

doll72
28-04-2011, 17:23
goto that place down pitsmoor vauxpartz they do fault reading and repairs think number 07747163263

cheaper to phone rac or aa tell them lights come on they will come out hook it up to there reader and tell you the likely problem saves paying to have a diagnostic done

zigzag
28-04-2011, 17:23
it will be the egr valve..........very common fault

Possible but egr sticking is usually associated with poor idle speed and engine cutting out at low revs

martss
28-04-2011, 17:28
Is it using more fuel? Could be MAF sensor, measures the amount of air coming into the engine for the ECU.

You need to get the car on a diagnostics test or have a look on some Vauxhall forums for more specific advice.

blh2808
28-04-2011, 18:04
it drinks alot of petrol and i can smell petrol quite often wen im driving it.iv had it on 2 diagnostic machines and is fetchin no codes up.

G-tech
29-04-2011, 10:17
it drinks alot of petrol and i can smell petrol quite often wen im driving it.iv had it on 2 diagnostic machines and is fetchin no codes up.

Did you have it checked on an advanced machine or just a simple EOBD code reader? EOBD readers are cheap and useful on many occasions, but will only read basic emissions-related codes.

If you are still having problems you can call down to us and we'll check it out, we've just invested in some new diagnostic equipment that has Vauxhall-specific software amongst many others. Diagnostics scans now at 15.00 .

blh2808
29-04-2011, 10:42
and wher u based.wil i stil be charged 15 if it doesnt fetch the code up

RootsBooster
29-04-2011, 10:51
cheaper to phone rac or aa tell them lights come on they will come out hook it up to there reader and tell you the likely problem saves paying to have a diagnostic done

RAC and AA only have the OBD software on their laptops, I know a guy who has worked for both.

martss
29-04-2011, 14:38
If the MAF has failed the ECU will over fuel to accommodate for the false air readings, you can clean it with a solvent spray, nothing oily like WD40 though! Cleaning is only a quick fix, it will still need changing. I think mine cost about 90.

Gluggy
29-04-2011, 15:03
Hi,

Is it an old or new shape Zafira? If the latter then you can perform a "pedal test", this will then display any stored fault codes on the the millage display...

Press brake and accelerator pedals
Turn ignition key to the 2nd position so that all the dash lights come on
Any faults will be shown as ECN XXXXXX with the numbers being the code.

If there are any list them here, i'm a member of a Vauxhall forum and can look them up against the info there.

blh2808
29-04-2011, 16:08
wot year does it have 2 be.mines an x reg 2001

Gluggy
29-04-2011, 16:19
wot year does it have 2 be.mines an x reg 2001

Yours is a Zafira A (old shape), the pedal test can still be done but the codes have to be read by counting the number of times the engine managment light flashes - below is a copy / paste of how its done..

With keys out of ignition - press both brake & accelerator pedal at same time and keep them pressed to the floor....

insert key and turn to 2nd click - ignition on but DONT START THE ENGINE

Keep both pedals pressed throughout the procedure....

the EML will flash just like previous models

You will probably find the light flashes 10 times first then a pause then another number, a pause, another number, a pause then another number of flashes.

I say 10 times for the first one as 10 flashes = a ZERO on the fault code and most engine related faults range from P0001 to P0999

If for instance u have the following sequence

10 flashes
pause
3 flashes
pause
10 flashes
pause
10 flashes

this equals 10,3,10,10 which in turn equates to 0,3,0,0 or P0300 which in turn is "Multiple cylinder misfire"

10 is the only number that becomes another number
1-9 flashes remain a 1-9 code if that makes any sense

blh2808
29-04-2011, 16:26
its just the light is not stayin on all the time only wen i get over 60mph.then wen i turn car off and on again it goes off

Gluggy
29-04-2011, 16:51
its just the light is not stayin on all the time only wen i get over 60mph.then wen i turn car off and on again it goes off

Shouldn't matter, When the car enters "limp mode" and illuminates the engine management light the fault codes that caused it should be stored on the ECU, these can be read using either a diagnostic scanner or the pedal test - I'm not 100% sure that pedal test works on all the old shape models or just certain engines.

Give the above a go and see what happens, fingers crossed yours is compatible and the codes will give some indication on what's up.

blh2808
29-04-2011, 16:52
ok thanks.il go try it now

blh2808
29-04-2011, 16:57
hi i did that.the response i got was 0607

blh2808
29-04-2011, 16:58
hi just done that.it worked out i got 0607 if this helps.thanks

martss
29-04-2011, 17:03
Google the fault code, try "vauxhall fault code 0607"

RootsBooster
29-04-2011, 17:10
It's a "P" code so google P0607

EDIT: OBD codes (P codes) are generic and may not pinpoint anything.

Gluggy
29-04-2011, 17:21
hi just done that.it worked out i got 0607 if this helps.thanks

P0607 comes back with two possibilities, either the "Knock Sensor" or an ECU fault - at this point probably best to get in touch with a garage, the sensor shouldn't be too costly but no idea on what's involved in checking / changing and as for the ECU i'd imagine that would be somewhat more expensive to replace.

**Edit**

Just done some more digging and it seems it might simply be low on oil - looks like this fools the knock sensor into thinking the engine is "pinking" at higher speeds, tries to correct it but cant so then thinks the ECU is iffy and then goes into limp mode, might be worth checking the oil level just in case.

blh2808
29-04-2011, 17:58
thanks.the code i found was control module performance.which is a likely cause pcm wil need replacement by sum1 who can install codes 2 my vehicle identification number.

Gluggy
29-04-2011, 18:10
thanks.the code i found was control module performance.which is a likely cause pcm wil need replacement by sum1 who can install codes 2 my vehicle identification number.

As mentioned above it might just be low on oil, wouldnt take long to check and could save a heap of money - heres the info i found anyway that explains it in more details...

I've had games with P0607; "engine control module - performance error." It apparently comes up when the knock sensor is driven batty by noises from a low oil level. This causes the sensor to individually retard each cylinder and if it can't stop the knocking, it thinks the ECU's getting the timing wrong and posts P0607.

Have a look at each cylinder's timing retardation figures as you drive it. You'll likely see massive, oscillating retardations; jumping from 5-48 degrees or more. Even if the oil is topped-up, it takes a good week's running to settle down again.

Would agree this is a known Vauxhall fault. Low engine oil level causes slight piston slap around 70mph, the knock sensor thinks its pinking & retards the timing - down to 50mph - discerning on the motorway!! PO607 is always the code. Once the oil is topped up the fault will eventually go away. Although I have not had this fault on an Astra, have seen it several times on 01,02,03 plate 1.6 Zafiras.

blh2808
29-04-2011, 18:19
i wil check the oil level but i normally have an oil light come on wen its low.and 2 ur information above mine is just x reg not 01 plate.but i will def try it 1st.the info i found was this

The P0607 code will illuminate the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp). Other potential symptoms of a P0607 include:

vehicle may also go into "limp-home" mode where it runs under reduced power
No Start condition (cranks but does not start)
may stop running while driving
Causes

A P0607 could be caused by one or more of the following:

Loose ground terminal on PCM/ECM
Dead or defective (12V main) battery
An open or short in the power or ground circuit
Loose or corroded battery terminals
Failed PCM/ECM
Possible Solutions

As a vehicle owner there isn't a whole lot you can do yourself to diagnose this DTC. The first thing to check is the battery, check the voltage, inspect for loose/corroded terminals, etc., do a load test on it too. Also inspect the grounds/wiring at the PCM. If that's good the other common fixes for a P0607 Control Module Performance DTC seem to be either replace the PCM or update (re-flash) the PCM with updated software. Be sure to check for TSB's on your vehicle (Technical Service Bulletins) as there are known TSB's for this P0607 code for some Toyota and Ford vehicles.

If the PCM needs replacement, we strongly recommend you have a qualified repair shop / technician do the work, one that has the capability to reprogram the new PCM. Installing the new PCM may involve using special tools to program the vehicle's VIN (vehicle identification number) and/or anti-theft information (PATS, etc.).

ianr1981
13-05-2011, 20:11
i wil check the oil level but i normally have an oil light come on wen its low.and 2 ur information above mine is just x reg not 01 plate.but i will def try it 1st.the info i found was this

The P0607 code will illuminate the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp). Other potential symptoms of a P0607 include:

vehicle may also go into "limp-home" mode where it runs under reduced power
No Start condition (cranks but does not start)
may stop running while driving
Causes

A P0607 could be caused by one or more of the following:

Loose ground terminal on PCM/ECM
Dead or defective (12V main) battery
An open or short in the power or ground circuit
Loose or corroded battery terminals
Failed PCM/ECM
Possible Solutions

As a vehicle owner there isn't a whole lot you can do yourself to diagnose this DTC. The first thing to check is the battery, check the voltage, inspect for loose/corroded terminals, etc., do a load test on it too. Also inspect the grounds/wiring at the PCM. If that's good the other common fixes for a P0607 Control Module Performance DTC seem to be either replace the PCM or update (re-flash) the PCM with updated software. Be sure to check for TSB's on your vehicle (Technical Service Bulletins) as there are known TSB's for this P0607 code for some Toyota and Ford vehicles.

If the PCM needs replacement, we strongly recommend you have a qualified repair shop / technician do the work, one that has the capability to reprogram the new PCM. Installing the new PCM may involve using special tools to program the vehicle's VIN (vehicle identification number) and/or anti-theft information (PATS, etc.).

Never never never let the oil get so low that you get the warning light. I did that on my Zaf when I first got it not realising how quickly it drank oil. Ended up having the engine rebuilt because valves and control rings were ruined. Nice spend of a thousand coins that was!

leslie7993
23-03-2013, 20:07
hiya,ive had the same trouble with my 2004 2.0 deisel dti i cracked it yesterday its the egr or erg unit if you know a bit about motors just take the cover off the unit and you will see its full of black dust it needs to be cleaned just suck all the dust away with a good hoover and make sure the lever on it is going back and foreward freely spray some wd 40 on it but make sure its nice and clean i can tell you it will cure it 4 u.

sheffandy
23-03-2013, 20:17
Don't bump old threads.

Who put you in charge? You sound like a wannabe Mod.

Perhaps he replied to help other Zafira owners with similar fault codes.

Who are you to tell users not to bump old threads? :(