View Full Version : King Kong quote - heard it before?

_Ren
08-12-2005, 10:35
"And, lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty, and beauty
stayed his hand. And from that day forward, he was as one dead."

I'm sure i've heard this somewhere before, is it just me or is it a famous quote?

Lindseyw
08-12-2005, 10:41
Originally posted by _Ren
"And, lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty, and beauty
stayed his hand. And from that day forward, he was as one dead."

I'm sure i've heard this somewhere before, is it just me or is it a famous quote?

it was in The Phantom of the Opera too - Or so I read somewhere

hoba
08-12-2005, 10:42
I thought this was an old Arabian quote, but I'm not sure from where.

I tried looking around on the 'net for a source, but wasn't albe to find one. I kept getting results for the King Kong movie.

_Ren
08-12-2005, 11:10
Well yeah, i thought if i typed it into Google it would just bring up where it was from but it had nothing. But i'll check out the Phantom of the Opera too thanks Lindseyw.

cgksheff
08-12-2005, 12:27
But it was Cooper who composed the fake Arabian proverb at the beginning: "And lo! The Beast looked upon the face of Beauty, and it stayed its hand from killing. And from that day, it was as one dead."

Article here (http://www.mezomorf.com/movies/news-157.html).

Genick
27-12-2005, 03:52
Yeah, I literally just watched it and was interested in the quote, and this site came up. So, you say the quote is a fake? Thats a bit dissapointing, but I'll try and look into it a bit and say if I've found different ...

Well, some articles just ignore the quote, others mention but dont say if its actual or not and then there's the ones that mention as the "fake Arabic saying". Ohwell,

Plain Talker
27-12-2005, 23:23
IN the 1930's original of KK, if i remember the film rightly,

the final line from one of the journalists is

"it was beauty, killed the beast!"

PT

Beakerzoid
28-12-2005, 01:46
Originally posted by Plain Talker
IN the 1930's original of KK, if i remember the film rightly,

the final line from one of the journalists is

"it was beauty, killed the beast!"

PT

The line was spoken by Carl Denham (played by Robert Armstrong) in the original film, and then Carl Denham (played by Jack Black in the new one). Point of trivia: Peter Jackson hoped to use Fay Wray in a cameo at the end, and have her say the line instead, but sadly she passed away before they had chance to shoot her scene.

carcrash
28-12-2005, 11:28
I went to see it last night. Rubbish isn't it. Far too long at 3 hours

Beakerzoid
28-12-2005, 11:42
Originally posted by carcrash
I went to see it last night. Rubbish isn't it. Far too long at 3 hours

Nope...it is one of best films of year, and I can't wait for the extended edition on DVD next year (looking at around 4 hours).