View Full Version : Whitby Rd School Darnall

jacklev1
06-12-2005, 19:59
DID ANYONE GO TO WHITBY RD SCHOOL.
REMEMBER ANY OF TEACHERS NAMES I STARTED THERE IN 1965
I THINK IT WAS MISS COCKAIN HEADTEACHER, MRS MUSTARD
WHEN WE WENT TO THE JUNIORS IT WAS MR SAXSON HEAD,A MR GARNER CAN ANYONE REMEMBER MR ELLIS WHO WAS ALWAYS PICKING HIS NOSE AND FLICKING IT AND NOT FORGETING SAMMY THE SLIPPER WHO EVERYONE MET WITHIN THE FIRST WEEK... LOOK FORWARD FROM HEARING FOM YOU:D :hihi:

deecee
06-12-2005, 21:53
jacklev1,
using capital letters is regarded as shouting , I don't think it will be appreciated on the Sheffield Forum

deecee

jacklev1
08-12-2005, 19:50
So sorry deecee and sheffield forum readers for shouting .
Was you a teacher by any chance ?::thumbsup:

Keanaz
09-12-2005, 09:08
Yes, Jacklev1
I remember all them and more, we lived on Nightingale street and my whole family went there, my mother was a dinner lady for a while as well.

Pity about it now!

exhatter
09-12-2005, 18:32
I went there, started in 1961. I had all those teachers except bogey flicker, but had him for the rounders team coach. I was head girl in 67. I loved that school. I was in the Hamptons team Go yellows!!!!

ali63
24-12-2005, 15:45
yes I went to Whitby Road 68/69 Mr Ellis was there think he took us for french,I can remember Mr Brindley & Mrs Southgate.
The headteacher then was Mr Spooner, loved rounders was captain for Hadfields which was green.
Used to live on main rd in Gt news shop next door to goddards fruit shop
Ali

maggidee
17-01-2006, 13:45
The headteacher for the infants in the 1970 s was a miss cocking i believe she is still alive and well although in her 90 s. A Mrs altass was deputy but died soon after her retirement. Several headteachers have come and gone, some nice some not so nice!!!

parsleydiva
15-07-2007, 13:48
I went to Whitby Road Infants and then to the Annexe on Darnall Road at Junior level. Remember Miss Gebhard and Miss Bowy (don't know if the spelling's right) who was a bit of a one for throwing the blackboard cleaner!! Happy days!

Nofats
16-07-2007, 09:18
WHEN WE WENT TO THE JUNIORS IT WAS MR SAXSON HEAD,A MR GARNER CAN ANYONE REMEMBER MR ELLIS WHO WAS ALWAYS PICKING HIS NOSE AND FLICKING IT AND NOT FORGETING SAMMY THE SLIPPER WHO EVERYONE MET WITHIN THE FIRST WEEK... LOOK FORWARD FROM HEARING FOM YOU:D :hihi:
yes, I went to Whitby Road from 1947-1952 in the infants I remember Miss Bee, Mrs Grafton and the head Miss Gebbard what a tyrant! in the juniors @ the annex I remember Miss Nicholson who became Mrs Longden,and again in the seniors,Miss Barber and Miss Sarson who was wonderful,Miss Clarke was the head.The boys were upstairs and the head was Mr Saxton. Does anyone recall the shower block with carbolic soap!!!

PCInfield
16-07-2007, 17:46
I went to Whitby Road infants and the juniors annexe from 1953-60.I remember Miss Cocking,who I believe had just started in '53,Mrs Smith and Mrs Grafton from the infants,and Mr Saxon,Mr Clarke,Mr Gregory and the finest teacher I ever met,Mr R A Cox.

darra
16-07-2007, 17:48
I was there in 60-61 but only for about a year.I do remeber some of the names above.

parsleydiva
16-07-2007, 20:03
yes, I went to Whitby Road from 1947-1952 & '56-58,in the infants I remember Miss Bee, Mrs Grafton and the head Miss Gebbard what a tyrant! in the juniors @ the annex I remember Miss Nicholson who became Mrs Longden,and again in the seniors,Miss Bailey and Miss Sarson who was wonderful,Miss Clarke was the head.The boys were upstairs and the head was Mr Saxton. Does anyone recall the shower block with carbolic soap!!!

I remember Miss Bee and Miss Gebbard also Mrs. Mustell I think. Miss Nicholson used to take music and I actually sang with the choir at her wedding and Firth Park Methodist Church!

parsleydiva
16-07-2007, 20:04
yes, I went to Whitby Road from 1947-1952 & '56-58,in the infants I remember Miss Bee, Mrs Grafton and the head Miss Gebbard what a tyrant! in the juniors @ the annex I remember Miss Nicholson who became Mrs Longden,and again in the seniors,Miss Bailey and Miss Sarson who was wonderful,Miss Clarke was the head.The boys were upstairs and the head was Mr Saxton. Does anyone recall the shower block with carbolic soap!!!

I remember Miss Bee and Miss Gebbard also Mrs. Mustell I think. Miss Nicholson used to take music and I actually sang with the choir at her wedding at Firth Park Methodist Church!

parsleydiva
16-07-2007, 20:07

I too remember Miss Bee, Mrs. Grafton and Miss Gebbard. in the infants. Miss Nicholson taught us music in the Juniors and I actually sang at her wedding at Firth Park Methodist Church, she had a choir of us juniors how cool was that!

Nofats
18-07-2007, 09:12
I too remember Miss Bee, Mrs. Grafton and Miss Gebbard. in the infants. Miss Nicholson taught us music in the Juniors and I actually sang at her wedding at Firth Park Methodist Church, she had a choir of us juniors how cool was that!

Yes I remember that wedding well, me and Mum were late getting there and we were in the porch as the bride was waiting to go down tha aisle,we got one of her famous glares that I got rather used to over the years!

Auditor
20-07-2007, 08:03
I went to Whitby Road infants and the juniors annexe between 1950 - 1956. I well remember Miss Gebbard in the infants and the head at the juniors Mr Saxon and teachers Messrs Edwards Pringle Cox and Bellamy. Still got the school reports from then. Lived on Tockwith Road in those days when it was all terraces and back to backs and walked to and from school every day.

parsleydiva
24-09-2007, 14:13
Yes I remember that wedding well, me and Mum were late getting there and we were in the porch as the bride was waiting to go down tha aisle,we got one of her famous glares that I got rather used to over the years!

Hiya, just found my old autograph book and Miss Nicholson, Miss Shepherd and Miss Pattinson (who I think was the head of juniors) all signed it!

purlgirl
24-09-2007, 21:59
Oh my gosh what a fantastic forum I went to greenlands school started in 1975 the head was Mr taylor and it then went on to be Mr Slee used to stand like a teapot with hands on hips.

I remember Mr Ellis always wondered why his carpet was dark green??

Remember the flying board rubber came whizzing past me in the direction of richard ward picked his nose wiped it on carpet I believe Ellis not impressed it left a nice chalky imprint when it hit the wall????????????? Does anyone remember Mrs Snell and her magic cream when you fell down what a fantastic school that WAS I used to live opposite next to the park.

bob74
12-11-2007, 12:10
hi ya remember mr slee and mrs snell as well also mrs singlton she head of infants when i was there.

alyjl
13-11-2007, 11:56
i went to whitby rd school from 1971 until 1976/1977 i remember mr ellis very well we used to call him mr green for the obvious reasons lol, also remember the head master mr taylor, ive never ever come across an headmaster as strict in my whole life, i was once asked to go on an errand from my teacher to mr taylors office, i knocked on his door and he didnt answer so i thought he didnt hear me so i knocked again and he came straight out and slippered me, i will never forget the day, there i was only on an errand and got blinkin slippered for it, i went back to my class feeling very sorry for myself, i also used to love the assemblys were the teachers would choose a child to pick out a song for all to sing, and not forgetting the chocolate dundee biscuits and teacakes at break times, does anyone remember mr falzon from edale and mr albeya, sort of things we would get up to on april fools day were mixing the registers up so when all teachers opened register in a mornin they all had wrong ones, lol, those were the days,

kevstones
24-12-2007, 21:35
I was at Whitby Road from 61 - 66 - same class as Kevin Burns / Dave Waller / Sharon Pratt / Gale hinds / Ann Rose / Glen Freeman / Sharon Lees / Ian Revitt / Rowena Roome / Anthony Staniland / Paul Timms and many others

I was in Miss Pattisons for a while, also Mrs Machin's. I also was in Mr Ellis' for a while. He fell asleep at his desk one day and a stink bomb was let off right next to a new pupil who was from Pakistan and couldn't speak a word of English. Mr Ellis woke up and asked who had let off the stink bomb. 50 fingers pointed at this poor young lad and Mr Ellis beat the living daylights out of him. I laughed at the time but I feel awful when I think about it. :help:

Happy days though ... from Kevin Stones
lived at 60 Frederick Street (next door to Pasks) and 21 Malvern Road

Do you remember the twin Hungarian lads ... can't spell their name but sounded like Booggars ... guess what we called them? :hihi:

parsleydiva
20-02-2008, 14:15
Well, just had a small reunion of classmates from Owler Lane Intermediate and three of us were originally from Whitby Road School. It was great to see classmates after all these years. Talking of 1947-51/2 Would be good to see anyone else that was in our class.

CHAIRBOY
10-03-2008, 11:33
There are plenty of comments about a Mr.Ellis but I would suggest that one of the school's most famous pupils was Keith Duncan Ellis who went on to play for Sheffield Wednesday in the mid 50's to early 60's with much success as a tall centre-forward.
Keith went to Whitby Road School about 1948 before passing the entrance examination to the boys' Central Technical School on Leopold Street.
The last time I spoke to Keith was at a player's funeral, about four years ago, and then a distinguished-looking grey, he told me he runs a corporate hospitality business in Harrogate.

rhodesian
08-08-2009, 14:36
Yes, Jacklev1
I remember all them and more, we lived on Nightingale street and my whole family went there, my mother was a dinner lady for a while as well.

Pity about it now!

is your mother called ann and b4 marrying lived in garth road

kenny.gray
08-08-2009, 19:48
i went to whitby rd.1955 to 1959 in my last year i was head boy.the teachers were mr mawson,mr mellor,mr cooper,mr golledge,mr grundy,mr ring,mr knight was the woodwork teacher a complete nutcase,mr saxon was headteacher,mr ellis i thought did music in the hall.we won the barber shield at cricket under 13 and lost in the final of the stokes shield under 15.we had a very good football team and though we never trained we won the schools 7 a side rugby beating barnsley grammar school in the final.we also did well at athletics and had a very good 4x100yds sqaud winning many trophies.some names from my time were,keith pearson,mick searle,john todd,joe rogers,barry everitt,john clifton,tony proctor,eric jackson,frank handley,alan greenwood,len birch,had sme good times at whitby rd. and have said on another thread how we did so well at sport with no ground other than high hazels park is still a mystery to me .

closer 88
17-09-2009, 21:19
i went to whitby rd.1955 to 1959 in my last year i was head boy.the teachers were mr mawson,mr mellor,mr cooper,mr golledge,mr grundy,mr ring,mr knight was the woodwork teacher a complete nutcase,mr saxon was headteacher,mr ellis i thought did music in the hall.we won the barber shield at cricket under 13 and lost in the final of the stokes shield under 15.we had a very good football team and though we never trained we won the schools 7 a side rugby beating barnsley grammar school in the final.we also did well at athletics and had a very good 4x100yds sqaud winning many trophies.some names from my time were,keith pearson,mick searle,john todd,joe rogers,barry everitt,john clifton,tony proctor,eric jackson,frank handley,alan greenwood,len birch,had sme good times at whitby rd. and have said on another thread how we did so well at sport with no ground other than high hazels park is still a mystery to me .

i was at whitby rd 1955 to 59, my 1st teacher was mr hyde his wife was mr saxons secretery, then i had a mr barnes he gave me 2 strokes of cane because i popped my cheek while he was playing the piano, then we had mr holland, mr mellor he was good at taking us for footy and rugby, he gave me a good school report and moved me up to class 4a to mr gollege, he always gave you a mental arithmatic problem 1st thing in a morning, classmates i remember john clifton, roy maskery, henry tooze he made a gun when he fired it he nearly blew his fingers off, roy mansel, dave burgin, johnny white,frank handley. shame about the school now.

kenny.gray
18-09-2009, 10:41
i remember all them but henry tooze i played football and cricket with john he has a stall selling pet food down the moor.do you remember any of the others i mentioned?mr gollege used to start the morning with a session of mental arithmatic it was great fun.as i have said before how we won so much at sports was amazing as we had such poor facilities.mr mellor was great fun so long as you tried your best he was happy,also mr grundy who took us to 2 cricket finals winning one losing the other.roy makery still see him and len birch in the peaks,roy as been a very good table tennis player for years.happy days and nights at the youth club.

closer 88
18-09-2009, 16:55
i remember all them but henry tooze i played football and cricket with john he has a stall selling pet food down the moor.do you remember any of the others i mentioned?mr gollege used to start the morning with a session of mental arithmatic it was great fun.as i have said before how we won so much at sports was amazing as we had such poor facilities.mr mellor was great fun so long as you tried your best he was happy,also mr grundy who took us to 2 cricket finals winning one losing the other.roy makery still see him and len birch in the peaks,roy as been a very good table tennis player for years.happy days and nights at the youth club.ive not seen roy maskery for years, we used to knock about together, i would like to see him again and talk about old times, its whitby rd centenary this year,i went in august to a invite about the old school, the only person i knew was steven millward, i used to play football with john clifton, stuart elam, roy maskery,do you remember having to run up enfield lane through tinsley park woods and finish back at school, noppy sherwin and the barker bros useto hide under the bridge near the halfway pub having a hamlet i bet, ray strut was a good runner he always won. i once came 2cnd i was quite chuffed about that. some other teachers i remember, mr knight the woodwork teacher down at the annexe, he gave me 2 strokes of cane because at playtime it was raining so he told everybody to stay inside but i went out to see if it stopped he got old of me and rattleld my fingers,he once cracked john waring over the head,i also remember mr curtois for tech drawing and science, you didnt mess when he was teaching, mr garrett a music and singer teacher,mr cooper from darnall, i didnt see him much during my time at school,other names from my time at school, brian scaife,melvyn cross,byron blackadder,fred speachly, billy witherford,billy johnson, billy waller,did you ever go on weekend tips to wembly, they were great.:cool:

kenny.gray
18-09-2009, 17:51
never went on trips could not afford it,went to the city hall once,roy is very often at crystal peaks on a saturday morning.i had a run in with mr knight dropped a chisel tried to catch it but it hit the floor i cut my finger very bad still have scar,he sent me to his room and said he was going to cane me i told him no chance as i needed treatment,after a few more words he sent me to mr saxons office but iwent home instead as i only lived on westbury st. a few minutes away.next day my nan went to see mr saxons and had words with and i never heard any more about it.i knocked around with keith pearson,mick(sammy)searle,tony procter,joe rogers good footballer and very quick,barry everitt who again i see in the peaks.we had some great sports people and if they had gone to a posh school i am sure they would have gone further.john todd is one who springs to mind also though a year below he played for our year and did very well.hope we can get some replies from some of the names.

Stegramil
07-10-2009, 13:48
Well, I do remember the names included into these last two posts. I'm Steve Millwood and left at the same time as Frank Handley, when we left for the Central Tech in 1957. There are many memories and I thought that there might have been a few more people who I knew at the centenary event in July. I've just moved back into Darnall after retiring, to a house about three minutes walk from the Annexe School. I was reminded of Miss Gabbard (Head of the infants), in the film Matilda and the famous Miss Trunchbowl - who appeared to have been trained as a head teacher by the SS. Does anyone hear from or about some of the names mentioned, Keith Pearson, Graham Gur, Roy Maskery, Byron Blackadda and the rest.

katy1981
07-10-2009, 13:59
i think my dad (daniel or danny for short - gilliver) went to this school when he was a lad, anyone remember him?

closer 88
07-10-2009, 18:25
Yes, Jacklev1

Pity about it now!

do you remember sandra brown and molly and janet straw they lived near bottom end near staniforth rd.

Stegramil
08-10-2009, 23:40
Reply to Katy1981

The name Gilliver sounds familiar but I'm not sure he was in the year when most of the class left in 1959. Do you know when he was there?:):)

katy1981
09-10-2009, 06:44
Reply to Katy1981

The name Gilliver sounds familiar but I'm not sure he was in the year when most of the class left in 1959. Do you know when he was there?:):)

no i dont im afraid but he was born and bred in darnall and his brothers jimmy and victor brawshaw.

j4yc
13-10-2009, 06:50
I remember when we left in 1959 we put a spud up the exhaust pipe of Mr Barnes car.
Happy Days!! Thanks Kenny for the reminders about our sports prowess. They were good times. Some other names that come to mind are Dick May John Riley and Dave Whiteley. My names John Clifton

closer 88
13-10-2009, 18:10
I remember when we left in 1959 we put a spud up the exhaust pipe of Mr Barnes car.
Happy Days!! Thanks Kenny for the reminders about our sports prowess. They were good times. Some other names that come to mind are Dick May John Riley and Dave Whiteley. My names John Clifton

Hi John, Im Chris from swale rd, Do you remember the Wembley trip in the last year at school, We were up nearly all night having a laugh, We all got done for ******* in the waste paper bin, Saxon found out and i had to empty it,Remember at school we had to put out the dinner tables at dinner time.:cool:

kenny.gray
13-10-2009, 18:38
hi.john have you still got the stall.used to see you when buying things for the dog.still think we did not get credit for all we did in sports of all kinds.remember going for sheffield boys trails were most of the team had already been picked,the guy elected captain along with a couple more played against us for firth park we gave them a right thrashing joe rogers ran them ragged think we won about 6-1.not one player from whitby made it but on ability we should have had about three in that team.it was same with cricket and athletics they were always picked from the same schools disgusting.

j4yc
14-10-2009, 06:58
Hi Chris
I do remember the wembley trip was it england boys versus germany boys can't remember the score. The dinner table job was great for me as I hated lessons anyway.
Have you left me a message on g/reunited if so I will reply soon i'm off to work now it's 8am
John

j4yc
14-10-2009, 07:01
Hi Kenny
You are so right about the sports just depended on which school you went to. Not got the stall anymore I am working for the rspb now as a teacher.
Speak to you soon.
John

kenny.gray
14-10-2009, 08:28
i thought it was you on a t.v.programme i was watching.

j4yc
14-10-2009, 19:39
Hi Kenny
Yes about a month ago we won a lottery award for best environment project.

closer 88
15-10-2009, 13:49
Hi Chris
I do remember the wembley trip was it england boys versus germany boys can't remember the score. The dinner table job was great for me as I hated lessons anyway.
Have you left me a message on g/reunited if so I will reply soon i'm off to work now it's 8am
John

Hi John,
Tried to reach you on f/ reunited, I remember all the lads you mentioned,I remember mellor giving me and you a trial for the footy team,I didnt make it but you did, Im almost sure you played on the right wing and i on the left, i was rubbish.

kenny.gray
15-10-2009, 18:01
well done on the award john,do you have any school photos from 1958-59 at all i had some but have moved about a lot and they disappeared.

closer 88
15-10-2009, 18:23
well done on the award john,do you have any school photos from 1958-59 at all i had some but have moved about a lot and they disappeared.

hi kenny was barry gray any relation to you.

kenny.gray
15-10-2009, 21:36
no my 2 brothers are harry and stuart.harry a good footballer played for a very good woodthorpe y.c side,he was a bricklayer just about retired now.stuart worked at dormer tools for years.

j4yc
16-10-2009, 06:54
Hi Chris
Did Barry live on the Greenwood estate? If that is the one I think his name was spelt Grey.
John

closer 88
16-10-2009, 16:48
Hi John,

I think so, he went to acres hill school and then to whitby rd, Ive still got a class photo from s1b with me and you on it, we were in hydes class.

chris,

j4yc
16-10-2009, 19:44
Hi Chris
I was just thinking how many of us in our street that went to W/Road at the same time. you, me, Henry Tooze, Brian Scaife, Graham Blandy any more. Sorry but I forgot I hope you and Norma are well and have you retired? I think I have a couple of photo's somewhere I shall have to have a rumage in the photo box a bit difficult this weekend as we are baby sitting. I still remember the weekends we had just you and me playing football fifteen minutes in the nets for each of us.

j4yc
16-10-2009, 19:46
Hi Kenny
Got a couple of photo's I think one of the rugby team and one of the football team. I will have a search for them
john

kenny.gray
17-10-2009, 21:37
cheers john that would be great.

ptrA
22-10-2009, 21:36
yes, I went to Whitby Road from 1947-1952 in the infants I remember Miss Bee, Mrs Grafton and the head Miss Gebbard what a tyrant! in the juniors @ the annex I remember Miss Nicholson who became Mrs Longden,and again in the seniors,Miss Barber and Miss Sarson who was wonderful,Miss Clarke was the head.The boys were upstairs and the head was Mr Saxton. Does anyone recall the shower block with carbolic soap!!!

My wife was in Miss Sarsons class. She now visits her in in a retirement home. 94 yoa

j4yc
25-10-2009, 19:36
Hi Kenny
Found the photos so if you want to send me a private message with your email address I will email them to you

Stegramil
03-03-2010, 13:43
If anyone wants a copy of photos from 1955/6 Senior 1 Mr Holland's Class and 1956/57 Senior 2 Mr Mawson's Class I can scan and e-mail them. Best contact me via e-mail.

Steve Millwood

Ad66
06-10-2011, 20:02
I went to Whitby Road from 1961-1966. My teachers were : Miss Mustell, Miss Jones, Mrs Brindley (infants) Miss Johnson, Miss Brufton and Mr Garner. Headteachers were Miss Cockain and Mr Saxton. We were moved to Acres Hill School in my J4 year as there was mining subsidence and that's where we took the 11+. I was in Hadfield House - because my brother had been but I wanted to be in Ellisons with my best friend!

ReggieBlade
07-10-2011, 11:40
Wasn't there a Headmaster aswell (mid 70's) called Mr.Taylor?

2ndhandrose
07-10-2011, 15:31
Mr Taylor......grey suit and glasses.

ReggieBlade
08-10-2011, 07:40
And,a Mrs.Hutton is floating about in my head.

2ndhandrose
08-10-2011, 15:14
No...don't remember her.....Miss Pennington?

ReggieBlade
09-10-2011, 11:12
She have grey hair and glasses?

2ndhandrose
10-10-2011, 14:50
Yes if I remember correctly. She was one of my teachers when I was there between 1965 (infants first) and 1972 (then juniors). Also Mr Ellis...and Mr Albaya. Mrs Fairbanks was a dinnerlady as was Mrs Charlesworth. Can remember the coal tar/carbolic soap which we used to wash our hands before dinner and we must have driven the people mad who lived in the house adjacent to the main playground as we were constantly throwing the tennis ball against their house wall.

ReggieBlade
11-10-2011, 09:36
Yep,can remember playing rounders at dinner time and usually got slogged.

Ad66
12-10-2011, 15:23
Once a week in J4 was swimming at Attercliffe Baths. Walked there and then back with dripping wet hair. No hair dryers in those days in changing rooms. No changing rooms in fact - just cubicles on the side of the pool. Mr Mettam was the swimming teacher. You got a badge presented in assembly if you swam 25 yards.

2ndhandrose
13-10-2011, 06:26
..........and a thump on the head with the long pole he held just to front of you whilst swimming if you weren't careful! I think the pole was there for you to feel safe if you got out of your depth. The best part about Attercliffe baths were the Iced Gems you could buy from the vending machine on your way out.......

Ad66
13-10-2011, 10:35
I used to like the hot chocolate but it was always so hot you didn't have time to drink it all and of course you couldn't be seen in the street with it.

Darnex
27-12-2011, 15:06
I was at Whitby Road from 61 - 66 - same class as Kevin Burns / Dave Waller / Sharon Pratt / Gale hinds / Ann Rose / Glen Freeman / Sharon Lees / Ian Revitt / Rowena Roome / Anthony Staniland / Paul Timms and many others

I was in Miss Pattisons for a while, also Mrs Machin's. I also was in Mr Ellis' for a while. He fell asleep at his desk one day and a stink bomb was let off right next to a new pupil who was from Pakistan and couldn't speak a word of English. Mr Ellis woke up and asked who had let off the stink bomb. 50 fingers pointed at this poor young lad and Mr Ellis beat the living daylights out of him. I laughed at the time but I feel awful when I think about it. :help:

Happy days though ... from Kevin Stones
lived at 60 Frederick Street (next door to Pasks) and 21 Malvern Road

Do you remember the twin Hungarian lads ... can't spell their name but sounded like Booggars ... guess what we called them? :hihi:

Hi Jed.

Bugar I think ?. I recall lining up after playtime in the yard , Mr Ellis was in charge doing his ministry of funny walks ( years before monty python) They could have written a new series of Fawlty Towers by studying Ellis :rolleyes:

He bounded over to one of the Bugar's and whacked him around the head - hard for " chatting" he actually wasn't ! said bugar then gave ellis a tirade of abuse in hungarian ? and a few choice F- off yer snotty nosed B.....d :D both brothers then ran out of the school gates with ellis in hot pursuit - glasses askew - tie flowing in the wind ..... He didn't catch em though .

Next day it was like nowt had happened and we spent a morning helping Mr Ellis assemble/fit his roofrack on his new Renault 4 car. :cool:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/whitbyrdclass1amissjohn.jpg/

Whitby Rd Juniors - Class 1A - Miss Johnson's

L - R . B - F from ( hazy ) memory ? apologies for mis - naming or spelling.

Mr Saxton ( Head ) . Dave Waller. Angela Norton. Glen Freeman . Douglas Fischer. Kevin Buchzko. Lyn Bennet. Liz Cook . Susan Vaughan . Miss Johnson.

Phil Kidger. Robert Taylor .Janet Slinn. Jane Allison . Paul Evison . Kevin Burns. Pete Lewis . Barbara Howard. Deborah Bartrop. Chris Fisher . ? ? .

Paul Gould . Trevor Hartle . Julie Hargreaves . Lyn Bradley . Tina ? . Gail Hans. Sylvia Bilton. Judith Burley . Lorraine ? . Jaqueline Birch. Edward Meeds . Kenny Stinchcombe.

Gary Wade. Richard Barret.

The Year I forget ? anyone care to correct - or fill in the gaps please ?

kevstones
28-12-2011, 16:40
Hi Jed.

Bugar I think ?. I recall lining up after playtime in the yard , Mr Ellis was in charge doing his ministry of funny walks ( years before monty python) They could have written a new series of Fawlty Towers by studying Ellis

He bounded over to one of the Bugar's and whacked him around the head - hard for " chatting" he actually wasn't ! said bugar then gave ellis a tirade of abuse in hungarian ? and a few choice F- off yer snotty nosed B.....d both brothers then ran out of the school gates with ellis in hot pursuit - glasses askew - tie flowing in the wind ..... He didn't catch em though .

I remember this event. I can see Ellis now shouting "Stop that boy!!". The Bugar's always had snot running off their top lip.

I had a look at the class photo but for some reason I'm not in it. I either had the day off or I must have been in another class. I'm sure I was with Dave Waller, Kevin Burns all through my school life. Never mind, I did have a class photo from Whitby Road but its gone missing for some reason.

Happy days

Kevin

Darnex
28-12-2011, 22:25
You may have been in 1B - along with Paul Johnson etc ?

We had close communities then............ shame it didn't much prepare us for the rigours to come at Stalag -Waltheof , I left there having learned absolutely nowt , apart from getting out at the earliest oppertunity .

Those I kept in touch with who passed the 11+ and went on to grammar school, led a totally different life .

Cheers Kev.

kevstones
29-12-2011, 06:09
You may have been in 1B - along with Paul Johnson etc ?

You may be right, I was in with Paul Johnson. What threw me was the pic with Sylvia Bilton on the front row. I remember being in the same class downstairs at some time.

We also had some clever dick who was good with sums. Both classes were lined up outside the classroom after playtime waiting for the teacher to open the door and Mr Saxon came along with the 2 teachers. One teacher said in front of both classes how good 'so and so' was at sums and Mr Saxon took him from my que to the other que and said how he should be in that class. I wanted to batter him, I was so jealous. Shame on me.

I remember the teacher coming out at the end of playtime swinging a huge bell that could be heard miles away. Now they would put a claim in for a bad back swinging that thing.

On your pic on the top row on the right next to the teacher is a lass called Stephanie, if I'm right. She was from the Gypsy caravan park if my memory serves me right. Pete Lewis is next to Kevin Burns in the centre. Pete's Mum made lovely Junket, a sort of home made 'Angels Delight'. Dave Waller is on the top row next to Mr Saxon with Philip Kidger in front of him. Not sure whther that's Paul Tims next to Philip on the middle row. Remembering the names is getting increasingly difficult. But, thanks for sharing it.

Kevin :cool:

jimbo1307
13-01-2012, 16:27
Hi everyone - what a great thread. I moved to Whitby Road school midway through J1, moving from Hammerton Street school. That would be 1945. For J2 we went down to Darnall Board school, which was right opposite where we lived. In J1 we had Miss Beaumont, a flame-haired beauty who, even at the age of 7 set my heart aflutter. J2 we had Mr Cox. J3 Mr Tyrrel (?spelling) to whom I shall always be grateful for introducing me to music. We had a recorder band, which he continued to teach even after we moved to J4, taught by Miss/Mrs? Machin. I have a photo on Flickr (Flickr.com) of the recorder band (with most of the boys names and Mr Tyrrel and Mr Saxon - Headmaster from Whitby Road). They were the best of my schooldays. I passed the 11 plus exam and attended Hight Storrs Grammar school from 1950. The pity for me is that all the posts from the time I was there seem to be from the girls, who we could only gaze at from afar.

susan sav
18-01-2012, 14:24
hi i live at 14 nightingale st and went to whitby rd from 61 i was in the rounder team and remember a few names angla norton lorna maden trevor pask and kevin burns whos dad i used to call uncle wally would like to know how my old friends are getting on susan saville

610kev
21-01-2012, 15:06
hi susan remember me kevin hicken

susan sav
21-01-2012, 15:53
off course i remember you my first love at 7/8yrs old how are you send me your email address for a catch up :)

susan sav
21-01-2012, 16:02
sorry how can you contact me with out an address if you want to it would be great to hear from you and any other old friends email me on savillethompson@yahoo.co.uk

nice-nurse
21-01-2012, 21:09
Hi Susan. I remember you from Waltheof........... and Kevin Hicken!!!! I'm Judith Robinson. Its seems like forever ago. A GREAT thread + some long lost names. Best wishes xx

kevstones
22-01-2012, 05:47
Hi Susan, I remember you well, plus Kevin Hicken. We were all in the same class for a while. I lost my school photo from Whitby Road. I remember Kevin Hicken played for Sheffield Boys then one day seeing him as a ball boy at the Lane. Lots of happy memories from those days. And yes, I do remember you living at the bottom Nightingale Street. I lived on Frederick Street then in 1960 moved to Malvern Road. Angela Norton lived at the bottom of Frederick Street if I remember correctly. Graham Windle lived on the Main Road between Frederick and Nightingale. David Waller lived at the other end of Frederick Street on Staniforth Road. Kevin Burns lived at the other end of Darnall but I can't remember being in the same class at Whitby Road but we certainly were at Waltheof. I believe Ian Revitt was in our class and Sharon Lees for a while. Sylvia Bilton, Paul Johnson and the name Christopher Fisher comes to mind.

Its good to hear from you, plus Judith. All the best

Kevin Stones :loopy:

susan sav
22-01-2012, 08:18
cant believe it hearing from 3 people in 2 days we must all have good memories of our younger years and more names keep popping in my head philip pickering. can you remember going to a different school while whitby had work done, mum sent me a photo from the star and me and angela norton we at the front of the line going in to the school yard i live in roi now and have done for past 20 years had a holiday here and love the place sold up in uk and move over best move ever good to hear from you all i also went to the lane and saw kevin and rember names from waltheof take care and best wishes for the new year love susanxx

darra
22-01-2012, 11:24
Hi Susan, I remember you well, plus Kevin Hicken. We were all in the same class for a while. I lost my school photo from Whitby Road. I remember Kevin Hicken played for Sheffield Boys then one day seeing him as a ball boy at the Lane. Lots of happy memories from those days. And yes, I do remember you living at the bottom Nightingale Street. I lived on Frederick Street then in 1960 moved to Malvern Road. Angela Norton lived at the bottom of Frederick Street if I remember correctly. Graham Windle lived on the Main Road between Frederick and Nightingale. David Waller lived at the other end of Frederick Street on Staniforth Road. Kevin Burns lived at the other end of Darnall but I can't remember being in the same class at Whitby Road but we certainly were at Waltheof. I believe Ian Revitt was in our class and Sharon Lees for a while. Sylvia Bilton, Paul Johnson and the name Christopher Fisher comes to mind.

Its good to hear from you, plus Judith. All the best

Kevin Stones :loopy:
Kevin Burns was our neighbour and lived in the houses opposite the corner shop (Eyres ?) and the fire station

susan sav
23-01-2012, 12:59
hi all ithink kevin burn lived on the road were there was a pub on each end the half crown and not sure what the other was call if my dad was a live he would know as aunty elsie own it and i visited her often Hi judith i think i can rememder you did you live in a large house on a main road staniforth rd i think let me know if im right did we also hang around with diane dunham? all these memories are flooding back silver blades great time there

maggie007
23-01-2012, 15:41
hi all ithink kevin burn lived on the road were there was a pub on each end the half crown and not sure what the other was call if my dad was a live he would know as aunty elsie own it and i visited her often Hi judith i think i can rememder you did you live in a large house on a main road staniforth rd i think let me know if im right did we also hang around with diane dunham? all these memories are flooding back silver blades great time there

kevin burns lived on bridport road in the same yard as my uncle colin the pubs at the bottom on darnall rd were the sportsman and the albert

kevstones
23-01-2012, 16:11
kevin burns lived on bridport road in the same yard as my uncle colin the pubs at the bottom on darnall rd were the sportsman and the albert

That's right. Went to his house often.

Kevin

susan sav
23-01-2012, 19:28
thanks knew after i wrote it i was wrong and how i didnt remember the albert i dont know the times i spent there when little. bottle of pop and crisp thanks

nice-nurse
24-01-2012, 13:04
Yes Sue, I remember Diane Dunham very well. She lived at the bottom of Faredan Road, near Julia + Maxine Goddard. Top of Farendan was Anne Savage and ?Anne Proudfoot. Across Shireland Lane was Robert Marshall remember him?? Bet you also remember my cousin David Green from Whitby Road school, he lived on Wilstrop Road. xx

Ad66
29-01-2012, 21:24
I knew a Richard Green and I think he had a brother called David.

2ndhandrose
31-01-2012, 15:42
Bet you also remember my cousin David Green from Whitby Road school, he lived on Wilstrop Road. xx

Did David have a sister called Janet? I was in the same year as a Janet Green. She was very good at physics and German....she once went out for a drink with some friends and I (obviously NOT while at school) and told us that a group of German girls sitting at the next table were passing unfavourable comments about us. They thought that we wouldn't know but didn't reckon on a genius at German being in our group. She left Sheffield to live in Henley-on-Thames.......

nice-nurse
31-01-2012, 19:34
Fraid no boffins in our family!!! David had an elder brother.... Arthur Green

keido
07-02-2012, 20:17
This brings back memories, sadly no names of pupils that I remember have been mentioned, but all ore from different classes.. Went to WR infants in 1955. Remember the stairs to the heads office. Terrified of them. Miss Mustell, Miss Skipton, Miss Cockayne.Then to Juniors at Darnall Rd annexe. Mr Cooper, used to be a scout master, a Mr Gregory I think. Seem to recall I was in Hampton house.Then to Whitby Road, remember Mr Saxton the head. Mr Cox who always used to boast about how Phyllosan kept him healthy, then Mr Clark in the last year before moving on to next school in 1961. Have a photo of one of the classes, no designer clothing in those days, look like a bunch of ragamuffins.Will try and remember some more of teachers names.

maggie007
08-02-2012, 16:08
heres some names peter williams kevin slinn jimy lambell diane abdy peter foster ian cooper ian fox rosemary siddall susan highfield maralyne dunn billy savage just for starters anyone else in this class

BishBosh
23-02-2012, 07:52

Hello jacklev I started at Whitby Road infants in 1963 and then onto juniors I was in Hampton team I remember Mr Saxon a nice man mr hall Mr Garner Mr Ellis. Do you remember getting transferred to Acres Hill school because Whitby road school was sinking into the ground by the rate of one inch a year due to an old mine shaft, if I remember right 400.000 tons of cocrete was pumped under the school.:

BishBosh
23-02-2012, 14:10
I went to Whitby road and only just found this website I remember saxon getting his cane out to me and then apologising for scaring me.
He was a nice man I remember Garner Mrs Johnson Eliss Hall. I started at the infants back in 1963.

BishBosh
25-02-2012, 13:00
Me our Mick and Tony went to Whitby road school 1963 good days.

BishBosh
25-02-2012, 13:05
I remember when we all had to go to Acres Hill school because our school was sinking into the ground, due to an old mine shaft. 100.000 tons of concrete was pumped under the school.

BishBosh
26-02-2012, 10:16
Keep going on about concrete, pretty sure it was 400.000 tons as i stated earlier not 100.000. If any one knows different let me know.

BishBosh
17-03-2012, 11:57
Bish Bosh here any one remember Shaun Osbourne Jimmy Barras Kevin Pacey Mick Smith I was best man at swiggys wedding A few more Timothy Oldfield Norman Smith Leslie Barrow Dave Vernon to name a few.

martynbeal
08-04-2012, 16:03
Hello all, my name is Martyn Beal just registered. I was at Whitby Road from 66 to 70. My last teacher was miss Pennington. My 1st was Miss Mustall. I went home with nail marks down the back of my legs from Miss Mustall slapping me on my first day. Does anyone remember these teachers or me? Cheers, Martyn Beal.

BishBosh
09-04-2012, 08:04
I remember your name Martyn I started in 1963, did you go on to Waltheof.

martynbeal
10-04-2012, 09:59
Hi, you only come up as bish bosh so I cant say I remember you. I was only born in 62 and started school in late 66. I left one year after moving up to the juniors in 1970. I moved to Marcliffe Road and then Woodseats junior before going to High Storrs. I lived on Ronald Road near to the Granthams, Paul Kieth and Graham, Jonny Burns(Who was killed on a motorcycle) Paul Gautier and Neil Fletcher who were all older than me. There was a family called Spate, Hector and Vincent. Miss Pennington was quite young then. She'll be about 65 now. Regards, Martyn

jacklev1
27-06-2012, 22:15
hi i remember martin neal you was in the same year as me can you remember
mark wilkinson, peter carter mick morley peter grimes graham short ,julie hibertson ,amanda baily gill robuck victor harris ,kevin ridsdale gary bramhall
cant think of any more at the moment started at whitby rd in 1965 and can still remember my first day was in miss mustards i was sad all morning but was ok by dinner time as she let me ring the dinner bell:hihi:

martynbeal
28-06-2012, 09:04
Hi there, I do remember most of those names. I can't say if I remember you though because I can't see your name in the reply. Cheers, Martyn Beal

wobblybob50
19-10-2012, 08:14
I was at Acres Hill when Whitby Road moved up because of the subsidence from the mine shaft. I made alot of new mates with the kids that move in with us, especially as I lived at Darnall where most of them lived.
I remember Paul Gautier and was a friend at Waltheof with Anne Proudfoot who was a huge Unitedite, a lovelly lass. There are other names that I have seen that I recognise and it does bring back some happy memories.
I used to live in the terraced houses at the front of the Davys factory just above the office block on POW Road, across from Poole Road.

kevstones
19-10-2012, 14:15
I used to live in the terraced houses at the front of the Davys factory just above the office block on POW Road, across from Poole Road.

I remember a classmate of mine living in the houses just above Davy United's. There was me, the lad in question and Dave Waller together when we noticed a bunch of lads coming up from the path beside Davy United's. We legged it across the road to the council estate and went behind a garage attached to one of the houses. Eventually they caught up with us. I thought we was going to get a beating. One youth got a grip of my mates shirt and I can see the buttons coming off one by one. Pop, pop, pop as his shirt parted company with the buttons. Then the woman of the house opened the back door to see her back yard with 20+ youths in it. "What the hells goin' on here, tek thee hook, lot on yer, go on". So we did after the three of explained why we were there. Narrow escape that night. As you say, happy days :hihi:

Kevin

exhatter
20-10-2012, 18:09
I Linda Hayward, went to WR started in 1961, remember all those teachers I loved Mr Saxson.
We all remember Mr Ellis. He was the school rounders team leader too and thought he was IT. But he couldn't even hit a ball.
I remember Yvonne Speight from Waltheof. She got expelled towards the end of her lsat year. She ran off with a gypsy that was laying new roads outside her house. Said she was pregnant, but I don't believe she really was. Too bad as she was a great athlete.
Does anyone know the wearabouts of Elaine Chapman. She was my best friend all through schools Haven't seen her in 35+ yrs. They lived at the bottom of Nightingale St and Darnall Main road and owned an appliance store until they tore down those homes

exhatter
20-10-2012, 19:16
I remember David Waller, he lived at the end of our street in the same yard as the Chapmans, next door in fact. Linda Lees, Michael Johnson, my first boyfreind at age 9 or 10, Denise Potts, who lived on the main road near Kevin Burns. She was always top of the class. Does anyone remember Christine???? who lived on Manderville Street.
She shared my birthday Oct 4th 1956 and died of Lukeimia around J2, Janice Lilly, her mum was blind. Susan I remember your name but not your face. We were in the sa e year. I was in 1A 2A etc We lived at 79 Nightingale St. Next door live Jane Shepherd a year youger and her youger brother Paul. The Pasks on Frederick St.
Who was the spastic boy with the irons on his legs. He used to go to Manderville St church?
His brother lived behind us on Frederick St over the wall. He got put away for murdering a girl on that same road. He mistook the girl for one of the Pasks. She was about 19 at the time. He had done time earlier for knocking off the guard at Cravens when the payroll came in, and robbed him. We should all just get together, have a reunion and write a book or make a TV series! I will come if someone can organize a reunion..it would be great.

wobblybob50
22-10-2012, 11:42
My Birthday is August 25th 1957 so I would have been in the same year as you and your name rings a bell from Waltheof. I knew Yvonne Speight and Dense Potts and Dave Waller I think I remember.
I was in Mrs Lockhart the French teachers class in the first year, Mrs Semmens(geography) 2nd Mr Rawson 3rd (Maths) and Mr Wilson 4th (English).
Kevin Burns was in the year below me But I did know Linda Burns his sister cos she worked with my Mum. I was in the same class as Kevin Carl, John Clarke, Albert Madden, Maxine Goddard, the two Bevs Hudson and Eaton and David Stocker.
My Mum was a big friend of the Simcox family who lived on Ronald Road and we used to play with thier lads Chris and Micheal.

martynbeal
22-10-2012, 13:45
I believe Kev Burns was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident a long time ago. I lived 5 doors down from him. we didn't go to school together but he was my best mate in the street(Ronald Road) I was younger than him. x

martynbeal
22-10-2012, 13:48
The family names Speight and Waller and Carter are familiar. I was in Miss Mustalls infant class starting 66 and Miss Pennington's at Whtby Road junior. Does anyone know of her? I remember a girl called Jane I think, her family were involved in a bad accident as well.

Bucannear
22-10-2012, 14:24
When Mr Ellis started at Whitby Rd in 1962 he took our class, J4B. I recall well his opening words to us. " I suppose some of you are looking at me and are thinking I've seen him before. Well you will have because I'm also a football referee". Also the first teacher to call us by our christian names and not our surnames and to have his jacket off and his sleeves rolled up.

the fox hat
23-10-2012, 17:58
I believe Kev Burns was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident a long time ago. I lived 5 doors down from him. we didn't go to school together but he was my best mate in the street(Ronald Road) I was younger than him. x

Kevin burns lived on bridport road next door to my uncle

the fox hat
23-10-2012, 18:00
When Mr Ellis started at Whitby Rd in 1962 he took our class, J4B. I recall well his opening words to us. " I suppose some of you are looking at me and are thinking I've seen him before. Well you will have because I'm also a football referee". Also the first teacher to call us by our christian names and not our surnames and to have his jacket off and his sleeves rolled up.

Who are you then you must have been there the same time as me I was in miss Johnsons class

2ndhandrose
23-10-2012, 18:08
I was in Miss Mustalls infant class starting 66 and Miss Pennington's at Whtby Road junior. .
Me too.....I managed to set the whole of Miss Mustell's class crying when I started blubbering on my first day....this would have been in 1965. Also in Miss Pennington's class.....

Bucannear
23-10-2012, 19:38
Who are you then you must have been there the same time as me I was in miss Johnsons class

I'm Roger Waller, lived on Cravens Rd. Left WR in 1963 after being in Miss Stirks first year class in the old Darnall Rd annexe then Miss Kitchens class, Mr Clarkes/Garners class, I think Mr Clarke left mid term, I stand to be corrected and then Mr Ellis's class till Christmas then promotion to Miss Machins. Or at least this is how I remember it.

the fox hat
24-10-2012, 17:45
I'm Roger Waller, lived on Cravens Rd. Left WR in 1963 after being in Miss Stirks first year class in the old Darnall Rd annexe then Miss Kitchens class, Mr Clarkes/Garners class, I think Mr Clarke left mid term, I stand to be corrected and then Mr Ellis's class till Christmas then promotion to Miss Machins. Or at least this is how I remember it.

I left in 64 you must have been in the year b4 me I remember old garner and Saxon the head i did my 11+ and got a place at myers grove if you lived on craven rd you must remember my best mate at school peter williams

Bucannear
26-10-2012, 10:16
I left in 64 you must have been in the year b4 me I remember old garner and Saxon the head i did my 11+ and got a place at myers grove if you lived on craven rd you must remember my best mate at school peter williams

I don't recall him but the name seems familiar. Strangely enough I think I can recall all the kids from "up" our street but not down our street. I left Darnall in 69 have lost all touch with my old mates. Didn't dislike Whitby road, enjoyed the Christmas partys and nativity plays there.

terry457
28-10-2012, 18:38
There are plenty of comments about a Mr.Ellis but I would suggest that one of the school's most famous pupils was Keith Duncan Ellis who went on to play for Sheffield Wednesday in the mid 50's to early 60's with much success as a tall centre-forward.
Keith went to Whitby Road School about 1948 before passing the entrance examination to the boys' Central Technical School on Leopold Street.
The last time I spoke to Keith was at a player's funeral, about four years ago, and then a distinguished-looking grey, he told me he runs a corporate hospitality business in Harrogate.

He lived on olivers mount

terry457
28-10-2012, 18:44
i was at whitby rd 1955 to 59, my 1st teacher was mr hyde his wife was mr saxons secretery, then i had a mr barnes he gave me 2 strokes of cane because i popped my cheek while he was playing the piano, then we had mr holland, mr mellor he was good at taking us for footy and rugby, he gave me a good school report and moved me up to class 4a to mr gollege, he always gave you a mental arithmatic problem 1st thing in a morning, classmates i remember john clifton, roy maskery, henry tooze he made a gun when he fired it he nearly blew his fingers off, roy mansel, dave burgin, johnny white,frank handley. shame about the school now.

Johnny White died years ago, frank handley has a buiness down attercliffe, when he left Whitby he went to c tec

terry457
28-10-2012, 18:49
ive not seen roy maskery for years, we used to knock about together, i would like to see him again and talk about old times, its whitby rd centenary this year,i went in august to a invite about the old school, the only person i knew was steven millward, i used to play football with john clifton, stuart elam, roy maskery,do you remember having to run up enfield lane through tinsley park woods and finish back at school, noppy sherwin and the barker bros useto hide under the bridge near the halfway pub having a hamlet i bet, ray strut was a good runner he always won. i once came 2cnd i was quite chuffed about that. some other teachers i remember, mr knight the woodwork teacher down at the annexe, he gave me 2 strokes of cane because at playtime it was raining so he told everybody to stay inside but i went out to see if it stopped he got old of me and rattleld my fingers,he once cracked john waring over the head,i also remember mr curtois for tech drawing and science, you didnt mess when he was teaching, mr garrett a music and singer teacher,mr cooper from darnall, i didnt see him much during my time at school,other names from my time at school, brian scaife,melvyn cross,byron blackadder,fred speachly, billy witherford,billy johnson, billy waller,did you ever go on weekend tips to wembly, they were great.:cool:

Steve Millward is now a pastor in Darnall

terry457
28-10-2012, 18:52
Reply to Katy1981

Danny went to my school Darnall Church

terry457
29-10-2012, 21:43
I remember David Waller, he lived at the end of our street in the same yard as the Chapmans, next door in fact. Linda Lees, Michael Johnson, my first boyfreind at age 9 or 10, Denise Potts, who lived on the main road near Kevin Burns. She was always top of the class. Does anyone remember Christine???? who lived on Manderville Street.
She shared my birthday Oct 4th 1956 and died of Lukeimia around J2, Janice Lilly, her mum was blind. Susan I remember your name but not your face. We were in the sa e year. I was in 1A 2A etc We lived at 79 Nightingale St. Next door live Jane Shepherd a year youger and her youger brother Paul. The Pasks on Frederick St.
Who was the spastic boy with the irons on his legs. He used to go to Manderville St church?
His brother lived behind us on Frederick St over the wall. He got put away for murdering a girl on that same road. He mistook the girl for one of the Pasks. She was about 19 at the time. He had done time earlier for knocking off the guard at Cravens when the payroll came in, and robbed him. We should all just get together, have a reunion and write a book or make a TV series! I will come if someone can organize a reunion..it would be great.

glen was the boy you are asking about tommy was the one involved in the murder

ltullyleo
03-11-2012, 16:04

Hello everyone, I'd just like to confirm that my brother Kevin Burns lived on Bridport Road, has never been involved in a motor cycle accident and I'm happy to report he is definitely still alive; - I spoke to him only last week.

martynbeal
04-11-2012, 07:55
My sincere apologies. Johny Burns from Ronald Road, born 1961 was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident.

wobblybob50
04-11-2012, 11:29
Hi Linda, hope you are well, havent heard from you since my Mum Jean passed away.
Glad to hear Kev is ok, how is Sharron?
I remember the days when you two used to work at the Baby Clinic at the top of Barnadiston Road and Jill and me used to come to meet Mum from school.
Jill is now a granny as our Katie has a two and a half yr old called Isabelle.

ltullyleo
04-11-2012, 14:22
Hi Linda, hope you are well, havent heard from you since my Mum Jean passed away.
Glad to hear Kev is ok, how is Sharron?
I remember the days when you two used to work at the Baby Clinic at the top of Barnadiston Road and Jill and me used to come to meet Mum from school.
Jill is now a granny as our Katie has a two and a half yr old called Isabelle.
Hi Robert
I think of your mum often. We had some fun times together. Sharon is fine and still living in York. She has a two year old grandson. Say hello to Jill for me. Hope you are all well. X

lebourg50410
26-11-2012, 15:33
Hi all
I remember when Miss Cocking was the Infants head and Mr Taylor was head of the juniors.
Does anyone remember when the school caught fire?

davep75
26-11-2012, 19:56
been reading memories of WR I started in infants 1941 Kieth Ellis was in my class remember playing football with him in high hazels park the teachers then were gollege mawson rodgers (music teacher) we nick named him rimsky. allen was headteacher and was replaced by saxon. I lived in Irving St. les hobson roy palmer norman sunderland all lived locally.

Tara Misu
27-11-2012, 16:04
Anyone remember Margaret Thorpe or Carol Davy?

craglands
12-01-2013, 18:00
I think my Dad went to Whitby road in the 30's. he lived on mandeville street.If 2nd hand rose is reading this her mum Sheila Allott) and mine were great buddies in the 50's -Kathleen Martin (nee watson). She still has happy memories of the old days.

PhilMurray
18-02-2013, 20:30
My dad also went to Whitby road school hes 78 now his name is Chatterton does anyone remember him???

kevstones
18-02-2013, 20:36
Hi all
I remember when Miss Cocking was the Infants head and Mr Taylor was head of the juniors.
Does anyone remember when the school caught fire?

I remember Miss Cocking as head of the infants but in the early 60's .. ie 62, it was Mr Saxon who was head of the juniors. He was a well built bloke probably in his 60's with dark rim glasses. I remember Mrs Machin and everybody remembers Mr Ellis. Good 'ol days .... Kevin

PhilMurray
19-02-2013, 20:44
been reading memories of WR I started in infants 1941 Kieth Ellis was in my class remember playing football with him in high hazels park the teachers then were gollege mawson rodgers (music teacher) we nick named him rimsky. allen was headteacher and was replaced by saxon. I lived in Irving St. les hobson roy palmer norman sunderland all lived locally.

My best mates dad is Norman Sunderland

gaz36uk
15-05-2013, 22:02
Brian Scaife was my dad. Sadly passed away 1995. Would love to find any photos of him as a kid. RIP DAD.

BishBosh
06-01-2014, 14:19
Hi Kev long tlme no see, last time I saw you you were working at New life windows some years ago.

davep75
24-02-2014, 15:08
My best mates dad is Norman Sunderland

Norman Sunderland was best man at my wedding. he's still alive and kicking spoke to him last week by phone

-malcolm-
24-02-2014, 20:28

I left Whitby road school in 1960, the head teacher was mr Saxon and some of the teachers I recall were Grundy, cooper, Holland, Mellor and Coleridge...miss those good old days

---------- Post added 24-02-2014 at 21:43 ----------

do you remember sandra brown and molly and janet straw they lived near bottom end near staniforth rd.

Sandra Brown was one of my first girl friends she was a gorgeous little blonde and yes I remember Janet Straw too

---------- Post added 24-02-2014 at 21:57 ----------

hi susan remember me kevin hicken

Hi Kevin, My mother was Lucy ( Hicken ) Campbell, her brother was Walt Hicken and he was married to Joyce.
Do you have a brother called Trevor?
The Hickens I am talking about lived at 57 Cravens road and I lived at number 78.

lien1
07-03-2014, 19:54
Hi went to Whitby road school 1964/1972 have some brill memories ,in my class
Was Michael Morley graham short victor Harris Peter carter David bramhall Malcolm mason mark wilkinson Julie hibertson Shirley stocks Adrian bailey Jill
Night Gillian Roebuck Sandra king Kevin ridsdale good days :D

davep75
09-03-2014, 19:09
My dad also went to Whitby road school hes 78 now his name is Chatterton does anyone remember him???

I remember the name Chatterton but I believe he was in the class above me and I can't put a face to his name

---------- Post added 09-03-2014 at 20:21 ----------

I remember the name Chatterton but I believe he was in the class above me and I can't put a face to his name

My wife Irene Allinson went to WR and left in 54 maybe someone out there remembers her.