Leaving your body to medical reserch

If you leave your body to medical research, am i correctly informed that the receiving research dept, pay for the funeral?

Edited by adelrose

If you leave your body to medical research, am i correctly informed that the receiving research dept, pay for the funeral?

What would there be left to bury ? you'd be in bits & pieces :confused:

They don't necessarily use the entire body. It depends to what purpose the body is put.

As to the original question, I don't know the answer. I always assumed that "medical science" disposes of the body (in a suitably formal manner, and not just dumping it in the incinerator) once it is no longer required, but whether they have a full-blown funeral ... I really have no idea.

They return the ashes when they have done with the body.

My body is going to be used for medical research assuming that I don't die of certain illnesses. They then have the responsibility of destroying the body after a fixed period and any organs retained also have to be destroyed after a fixed time. It doesn't bother me after all I'm not going to be there to worry about things.

my dad left his body to medical research he went to Sheffield University

They had a memorial service for all those who had donated their bodies and when they had done all the research they needed they contacted my mom and arranged a funeral at their expence we were then given his ashes to dispose of as we wished. My dad died from cancer they had tried a new drug on him as he was diabetic and couldnt have the conventional treatments, the drug did give him a little longer than expected we think they tested his body for the results of the drug and how well it worked, we had the funeral about 14 months after he died. You dont have to have the funeral it is your choice but they will let you know when the ashes can be collected if you decide not to

My body is going to be used for medical research assuming that I don't die of certain illnesses. They then have the responsibility of destroying the body after a fixed period and any organs retained also have to be destroyed after a fixed time. It doesn't bother me after all I'm not going to be there to worry about things.

Ive also left my body to medical research. They may turn me down though.:roll:

How do you go about leaving your body to medical research, as I have been thinking about doing this.

Ive also left my body to medical research. They may turn me down though.:roll:

Funnily enough there is quite a list of requirements ……….. They don’t just want any old body.

Edit

Having said that it looks like things might have changed since my Nan died.

http://www.ifishoulddie.co.uk/donating-a-body-for-medical-research-c56.html

The college is predicting a cadavar (dead body) shortage of nearly 30 per cent this year and estimates that UK medical schools need at least 1,000 bodies each year.
Edited by Grandad.Malky

How do you go about leaving your body to medical research, as I have been thinking about doing this.

I think you have to make special arrangements far in advance, quite a lot of bodies are preserved to be used in the courts in unsolved murder cases too, such as....how could the knife have gone at this angle, ect :gag:

I think you have to make special arrangements far in advance, quite a lot of bodies are preserved to be used in the courts in unsolved murder cases too, such as....how could the knife have gone at this angle, ect :gag:

Im only 29 anway, so hopefully arrangements would be made far in advance.:)

I'd be really interested to know what folk think the bodies left to medical science are used for...............