View Full Version : Leaving your body to medical reserch

adelrose
04-04-2011, 19:47
If you leave your body to medical research, am i correctly informed that the receiving research dept, pay for the funeral?

poppins
04-04-2011, 20:14
If you leave your body to medical research, am i correctly informed that the receiving research dept, pay for the funeral?

What would there be left to bury ? you'd be in bits & pieces :confused:

HeadingNorth
04-04-2011, 20:18
They don't necessarily use the entire body. It depends to what purpose the body is put.

As to the original question, I don't know the answer. I always assumed that "medical science" disposes of the body (in a suitably formal manner, and not just dumping it in the incinerator) once it is no longer required, but whether they have a full-blown funeral ... I really have no idea.

alrockman
04-04-2011, 20:21

They return the ashes when they have done with the body.

WallBuilder
04-04-2011, 20:56
My body is going to be used for medical research assuming that I don't die of certain illnesses. They then have the responsibility of destroying the body after a fixed period and any organs retained also have to be destroyed after a fixed time. It doesn't bother me after all I'm not going to be there to worry about things.

bloom1961
04-04-2011, 22:15
my dad left his body to medical research he went to Sheffield University
They had a memorial service for all those who had donated their bodies and when they had done all the research they needed they contacted my mom and arranged a funeral at their expence we were then given his ashes to dispose of as we wished. My dad died from cancer they had tried a new drug on him as he was diabetic and couldnt have the conventional treatments, the drug did give him a little longer than expected we think they tested his body for the results of the drug and how well it worked, we had the funeral about 14 months after he died. You dont have to have the funeral it is your choice but they will let you know when the ashes can be collected if you decide not to

pattricia
04-04-2011, 22:17
My body is going to be used for medical research assuming that I don't die of certain illnesses. They then have the responsibility of destroying the body after a fixed period and any organs retained also have to be destroyed after a fixed time. It doesn't bother me after all I'm not going to be there to worry about things.

Ive also left my body to medical research. They may turn me down though.:roll:

foxydebs
05-04-2011, 13:42
How do you go about leaving your body to medical research, as I have been thinking about doing this.

Grandad.Malky
05-04-2011, 13:50
Ive also left my body to medical research. They may turn me down though.:roll:

Funnily enough there is quite a list of requirements ……….. They don’t just want any old body.

Edit

Having said that it looks like things might have changed since my Nan died.

http://www.ifishoulddie.co.uk/donating-a-body-for-medical-research-c56.html

The college is predicting a cadavar (dead body) shortage of nearly 30 per cent this year and estimates that UK medical schools need at least 1,000 bodies each year.

poppins
05-04-2011, 13:54
How do you go about leaving your body to medical research, as I have been thinking about doing this.

I think you have to make special arrangements far in advance, quite a lot of bodies are preserved to be used in the courts in unsolved murder cases too, such as....how could the knife have gone at this angle, ect :gag:

foxydebs
05-04-2011, 14:56
I think you have to make special arrangements far in advance, quite a lot of bodies are preserved to be used in the courts in unsolved murder cases too, such as....how could the knife have gone at this angle, ect :gag:

Im only 29 anway, so hopefully arrangements would be made far in advance.:)

Daven
05-04-2011, 16:56
I'd be really interested to know what folk think the bodies left to medical science are used for...............

teddie
05-04-2011, 17:19
I'd be really interested to know what folk think the bodies left to medical science are used for...............

Don't know really. But my guess would be for medical students to practice tecniques such as incisions, sewing up the said incisions, anything really to do with surgery, as i'm sure they wouldn't need pointing out where the heart, kidney, liver etc. were. Maybe dissecting various organs to see the tissue, veins etc. Perhaps the consultant would lecture abnormalities?
My neighbour died of a rare strain of cancer when he was 32, he left his body to science to help find a cure merely as a hope his children (aged 2, and four) parts of his body stayed in this country, others went to America and some to the U.K. So I'm sure that he did help, even if was in a small way.

foxydebs
05-04-2011, 17:20

To teach and educate medical students about anatomy and diseases and for biomedical research. If there were not any bodies left to be cut up and practised on then how can we expect medical students to gain essential experience.

If you think or know they are used for something else then I would be interested to know as I am seriously considering donating my body to medical science.

joinerisme
05-04-2011, 17:47
I have donated my body to medical research,it will go to Sheffield University Medical School if it can be used.It is in my will for them to be contacted after my death.It,s a bit of a laborious process but it,s worth doing,Incidentally my late wife left her body parts to be used to help others,she helped 14 people.

shanes teeth
05-04-2011, 18:53
They are used to provide the body parts that the medical students take down town on a Friday night to frighten people with. Imagine finding a gonad at the bottom of your pint of Guiness!

Twiglet
05-04-2011, 19:07

That certainly isn't the case in the UK :hihi:

On the other hand - many don't go to medical students. They are 'harvested' for parts/tissue that can be used in medical laboratories for research etc. - and the definition of 'medical' research is wider than you might imagine...

It all depends on what consent forms you sign and what they specify.